BAD dandruff..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
layla
Newborn Bully

BAD dandruff..

Postby layla » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm

we have had layla since thanksgiving and everytime we bathe her she gets so ashy and has dry skin flakes all over her.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this? we have tried oatmeal shampoo with panthenol for the itchy, flaky skin. doesn't work. also another new one that i have used a few times that costs more, doesn't work.

layla has a dark coat and flakiness just doesnt look too good on her..any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 pm

How often do you bathe her? I'm assuming you are using dog shampoo, right? What do you feed her?

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 pm

Salmon oil...works wonders (at least for mine it did)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:13 pm

What are you feeding?

Does it only happen when you give her a bath? What shampoo are you using?

Are you making sure she is entirely rinsed off?

yamaha4eva
Newborn Bully

Postby yamaha4eva » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:53 am

I was giving my pup a bath 1 or 2 times a week when she was a little younger, because she was going to the bathroom in her cage during the day. She would get real dry flaky skin. Pretty much from my experience any shampoo you use won't make any difference. The weather right now does not help dry skin either. But using "salmon oil" in her food everyday helped ALOT! I Have gone almost 3 weeks without bathing because she is not going potty in her cage, but right after I bathed her just yesterday her skin was not flaky. That oil really does help!

layla
Newborn Bully

Postby layla » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:16 pm

i will need to try that oil! the vet said put corn oil on her food..didn't work.

we feed her beneful for puppies. and we feed her breakfast, lunch, and dinner. with treats from petco in between.. :oops:

i bathe her at least once a week..at first using regular puppy shampoo. then we got PERFECT COAT: NATURAL OATMEAL SHAMPOO with panthenol for irritated skin. now we have SULFODENE: medicated shampoo and conditioner. stops itching and flaking.

the stupid groomer at petco said to get the tgel from walmart for human hair. the vet said that was dumb not to use that because the oils are different. but the groomer said that it looked deep in her skin because she was so flaky. she didn't have a clue i don't believe.

after i bathe her i dry her as much as possible with the towel then the fun part: BLOW DRYER!! haha..its a game for her..i put it on medium heat so its not hot..that may be where i'm going wrong..i dunno

thanks for your replies!

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:37 pm

I would try a different kibble, JMO, but I don't like Beneful and other foods like it...I would recommend Canidae or something similar.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm

innocence621 wrote:I would try a different kibble, JMO, but I don't like Beneful and other foods like it...I would recommend Canidae or something similar.

I second this.

Try a new food for 3 months and see if it helps.

Also, how about rinsing with dilluted ACV?

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Beneful is pretty bad for skin. It's funny.. a good majority of dogs that come into our clinic with skin problems, when we ask what they're eating, its Beneful. Switch to a higher end food that has essential fatty acids and is more meat based. Also, bathing once a week is pretty often. I wouldn't recommend bathing more than every two weeks.

layla
Newborn Bully

Postby layla » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:55 pm

i guess me and albert will go find a new food tonght at petco! that's my favorite place ha! :oops: ..i will try not to bathe her as often either. she just goes outside and plays and stinks..mama won't let her on the couch if she is stinky.

and i'm not real sure what ACV is..?

thanks yall!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Sorry, Apple Cider Vinegar. Do a search for its many uses!

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:55 pm

layla wrote:i guess me and albert will go find a new food tonght at petco! that's my favorite place ha! :oops: ..i will try not to bathe her as often either. she just goes outside and plays and stinks..mama won't let her on the couch if she is stinky.

and i'm not real sure what ACV is..?

thanks yall!

My pup is stinky and dirty more often then not, she plays in mud, dirt, and the river on a daily basis, and we have to bathe her often too. I have a creme rinse that we use on her to help to not dry out her skin...it's like conditioner. Good luck in your food search I hope it all works out.
Like mentioned ACV is great for skin problems also, I think you need to get the raw ACV with the mother in it (That's what I have at least).

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby pit_amor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:43 pm

My terrier had that problem. It was the food making the skin flakey. Nutro is a good brand of food to switch her to. It's pricey but works well. You should be able to find it at petsmart. They have a website too. http://www.nutroproducts.com/dog.shtml
It has no fillers and it's meat based. Iams is good too. It saves you time from having to go to the pet store if your really busy. All in all I say try Nutro though because they have a variety of foods for different problems and breeds. They even have some foods made with salmon. It's called Nutro Ultra. http://www.ultraholistic.com/

layla
Newborn Bully

Postby layla » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 am

pit_amor wrote: It saves you time from having to go to the pet store if your really busy.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? petco is practically my third home (mine first, then albert's, then petco!) haha..just picking! i love petco! i can't wait for saturday to be here so that i can take layla after eating lunch with albert. its her favorite place too!

we will look for some food there. kinda looked at walmart tonight but all they have is purina foods and the iams and ole roy..

what exactly does the food really need to have? and not have? sorry i'm not very good at understanding types of foods dogs need..all the bags say the same thing!!! ha..thanks for yalls help! :)

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:33 am

pit_amor wrote:My terrier had that problem. It was the food making the skin flakey. Nutro is a good brand of food to switch her to. It's pricey but works well. You should be able to find it at petsmart. They have a website too. http://www.nutroproducts.com/dog.shtml
It has no fillers and it's meat based. Iams is good too. It saves you time from having to go to the pet store if your really busy. All in all I say try Nutro though because they have a variety of foods for different problems and breeds. They even have some foods made with salmon. It's called Nutro Ultra. http://www.ultraholistic.com/

*gags* If they'd quit using all the darn glutens they put in there I'd be fine with them.

To the OP, do you research. Read the ingredients.

Return to “Health Issues”