if a dog eats in the morning, how many times shold poop?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

if a dog eats in the morning, how many times shold poop?

Postby reddog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:29 pm

just wondered if a dog only ate once in the morning then how many times in that day would he poop? I feed my dog at 8-9am every morning and take her for a walk, normally within 20 mins she has pooped.

today I feed her this morning and she pooped once in her pen and then I went off, when i got home i walked her and she pooped then, after some play time... I gave her a treat after that about a hour later and walked her about 30 mins after that and from then about 5pm till now 1030 she still has not pooped again. she has peed 4 times but no poop.

maybe this is a stupid question but I am asking anyways.

also how long can a dog hold it? I have been being nice and let her in the house, for a few hours yesterday she came in after play time outside and stayed in untill 11pm when I went to bed.

shes in my living room right now, I would allow her to stay in all night but i don't want no accitends to clean up.

do those puppy pads autally work? will she go stright to it and not my carpet to pee or poop? is there something in them a oder or something that attracts them to them?

Thanks

shes got a Apt. monday at 9am to get her rabies shot and a exam, hopfully they will be able to tell me how old she is for sure.

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:16 pm

I have 3 dogs and everyday we clean the dog run of poop... I swear they do nothing but poop!!! Misty my 5 year old lab mix can hold it forever especially if its cold, snowing, raining, sunny, to hot, to windy to anything LOL She hates going outside

I know this doesnt help but just wanted you to know your not alone!

If I could just invent something that would convert dog poop into fuel for my car I would drive free forever!!!

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:20 pm

jazminesgranny wrote:I have 3 dogs and everyday we clean the dog run of poop... I swear they do nothing but poop!!! Misty my 5 year old lab mix can hold it forever especially if its cold, snowing, raining, sunny, to hot, to windy to anything LOL She hates going outside

I know this doesnt help but just wanted you to know your not alone!

If I could just invent something that would convert dog poop into fuel for my car I would drive free forever!!!

lol, well as said she normally only goes once a day ( I watch her all time when shes outside , cause trying teach her to only go in the woods not in the yard) and i look in the morning in her pen and get up any fromt he night before. but most time there is none, she only goes once in morning after eat but today she went twice.

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:16 am

I think it depends on the food...mine poop once to twice a day, very small hard poops. My friends dog, who eats crap food I must add, poops all day long!
I could be wrong but that's how I see it.
Puppy pads are worthless, she's too big for them anyway. I would suggest crate training her in the house.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:58 am

innocence621 wrote:I think it depends on the food...mine poop once to twice a day, very small hard poops. My friends dog, who eats crap food I must add, poops all day long!
I could be wrong but that's how I see it.
Puppy pads are worthless, she's too big for them anyway. I would suggest crate training her in the house.

Alright then, well they make larger pads don't they? pretty surei seen them at petsmart yesterdaay I didn't know.

well i am going to buy her a crate as soon as i can afford one.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:36 am

Ernie is fed twice a day, and poops 2(maybe3) times a day.

layla
Newborn Bully

Postby layla » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 am

yall are lucky your dogs only go twice a day!! layla goes at least four. she will go when we wake up in the morning and go out to tinkle. then she eats and about twenty minutes later, poops again. then she can go for a while, we usually feed her some more around one..again she poops. then at night after she eats she only tinkles. then poops again in the morning.

the bad thing, though, is that she will go outside and be outside for a while playing with the other dogs and will come back inside and find a nice quiet dark place and poop. my mama tells me quite a few times during the day that she has pooped. maybe we feed her too much??

anyways..the doggie pads do not work. they worked when she was less than eight weeks old. then she just started laying and sleeping on them.

good luck with house training!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 am

My dogs will poop as many times as they are let outside... so between 2 and 4 times a day.

In my experience (having fed everything from Science Diet to premiums to raw) the food has very little to do with the number of defecations unless you are feeding raw... but the food will change the quality of defecations.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:48 am

thanks for the replys. well like today. let her stay in lastnight, took out the pee then came in for hour then i took her out to feed her right after she pooped. right to the correct spot today outside I was so happy. then i walked he and all she did was pee. so far only once for today

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 pm

My dogs are fed 2x a day and poop 2x day on average (sometimes 3x).

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:48 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:In my experience (having fed everything from Science Diet to premiums to raw) the food has very little to do with the number of defecations unless you are feeding raw... but the food will change the quality of defecations.

Even being fed raw, I think it's also just the individual dog. Basil went from pooping 4 times a day on kibble, to 2 or 3 times of homemade food, to once a day on raw. Streets, on the other hand, always goes as many times as he's been fed. The stool might be tiny, like the size of a grape, but he'll always go once for each meal eaten.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:06 pm

pitgrrl wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:In my experience (having fed everything from Science Diet to premiums to raw) the food has very little to do with the number of defecations unless you are feeding raw... but the food will change the quality of defecations.

Even being fed raw, I think it's also just the individual dog. Basil went from pooping 4 times a day on kibble, to 2 or 3 times of homemade food, to once a day on raw. Streets, on the other hand, always goes as many times as he's been fed. The stool might be tiny, like the size of a grape, but he'll always go once for each meal eaten.

well hers is always big. i wonder how the heck such big stuff come out of a dog but i guess no driffrent from a human. most time brown or black, it was grean one day and i relized we gave her green milkbones

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:14 pm

reddog, may I suggest you get in the habit of feeding at least twice a day with exercise before meal?
This way you will run less of a risk of bloat.
Having been through bowel torsion with one of mine, let me tell you, it is something you never want to go through.

:thumbsup:

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:18 pm

my pups go twice a day , well lately ace started going like 5 or 6 times a day , that was very out of the normal so i cut his food back and hes back to 2x a day . so if he keeps his weight good he will stay on the less amount of food .

i also think it helps when you feed them at the same exact time everyday it makes thier elimintae schedule a little more prdictable .

if you are considering keeping her in at night , get a crate for her until she can be trusted out , im sure she would rather be in the small crate by the family rather then have more room outside in her pen anyways .

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Allie wrote:reddog, may I suggest you get in the habit of feeding at least twice a day with exercise before meal?
This way you will run less of a risk of bloat.
Having been through bowel torsion with one of mine, let me tell you, it is something you never want to go through.

:thumbsup:

bloat? whats that... well i asked on here and seemed alot feed once so thats why i only have once a day. guess when i start working it be feed in morning then maybe in afternoon when i get home. and excercise whenever. wont be long it get darker later and have more time in afternoon

Return to “Health Issues”