if a dog eats in the morning, how many times shold poop?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Bloat is when the stomach (or bowel in my Piper's case) actually flips or twists. It is a really serious condition common in barrel chested dogs. It can cause death in a matter of hours.
I believe there is a thread here about it. I will see if I can find it an bump it for you.

Our vet recommended at least two feedings a day (we feed at 6:00 am & 6:00 pm) with no exercise for at least 45min-1hr after eating. We let the dogs out for a quick pee before their meals. Then later they can go out for more exercise.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Allie wrote:Bloat is when the stomach (or bowel in my Piper's case) actually flips or twists. It is a really serious condition common in barrel chested dogs. It can cause death in a matter of hours.
I believe there is a thread here about it. I will see if I can find it an bump it for you.

Our vet recommended at least two feedings a day (we feed at 6:00 am & 6:00 pm) with no exercise for at least 45min-1hr after eating. We let the dogs out for a quick pee before their meals. Then later they can go out for more exercise.

Oh, alright then. thanks never heard of it before.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:25 pm

We feed twice a day, 12 hours apart... and the dogs usually poop 2-3 times a day...

I couldn't get them to eat enough in one feeding, they just sort of lose interest and stop eating (Marley gets 3 cups a day, Carrie gets a little less than 4 cups a day)

They have both held their poops for about 14 hours at the most (but I'm sure for poop they could go longer if they also miss breakfast)... I got stuck in a snowstorm, the highway closed and I couldn't get home from work until 4 hours late... so instead of 10 hours in the crate they were in there for 14... no accidents, but they both REALLY needed to pee when I finally got home :)

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:46 pm

Mine all eat twice a day and poop twice a day. If they are given 'extras' or are stressed, they can sometimes muster a third. Not very often though.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:44 am

hwillm1977 wrote:We feed twice a day, 12 hours apart... and the dogs usually poop 2-3 times a day...

I couldn't get them to eat enough in one feeding, they just sort of lose interest and stop eating (Marley gets 3 cups a day, Carrie gets a little less than 4 cups a day)

They have both held their poops for about 14 hours at the most (but I'm sure for poop they could go longer if they also miss breakfast)... I got stuck in a snowstorm, the highway closed and I couldn't get home from work until 4 hours late... so instead of 10 hours in the crate they were in there for 14... no accidents, but they both REALLY needed to pee when I finally got home :)

Not my dog, she will eat all thats in the bowl. I just asked the vet and he said just give her a lil then wait about 10-15 mins then give a lil more that should help. I hope so...

Well she weighs 36 pounds and is around a year old. the nurse said 6 mo proably 8 mo to a yr. but the Dr. said closer to one year.

got her rabies shot and her pravo the 5 in one or whatever shot. go back in 3 weeks for her booster shots then I get get her fixed

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 am

A major cause of lots of poop from a dog is cheaper food. There is LOTS of stuff that a dog simply can not digest in that food. Plus the food does not have as good of ingredients and quality calories, so you have to feed it much more.

A better food means you feed it less. It means the dog digests more. It means you go through the food slower because you feed it smaller servings.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 am

Lanolar wrote:A major cause of lots of poop from a dog is cheaper food. There is LOTS of stuff that a dog simply can not digest in that food. Plus the food does not have as good of ingredients and quality calories, so you have to feed it much more.

A better food means you feed it less. It means the dog digests more. It means you go through the food slower because you feed it smaller servings.

well i have not been feeding her enough for her size. according to the back of the food bag. since she is 36 pounds how much should she have? it says 2 1/2-3 1/2 i belive. done forgot . is that right for her size? how do you messure? guess need to buy a cheap mersuring cup so i can messure it

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 am

To give you an idea, my foster pit (1-2 years old, adult very active female. 33 pounds, tiny but built like a brick house), eats two meals a day.

I feed her one cup of Natures Variety (a very high quality dry food) twice a day.

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Re: if a dog eats in the morning, how many times shold poop?

Postby pit_amor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm

reddog wrote:just wondered if a dog only ate once in the morning then how many times in that day would he poop? I feed my dog at 8-9am every morning and take her for a walk, normally within 20 mins she has pooped.

today I feed her this morning and she pooped once in her pen and then I went off, when i got home i walked her and she pooped then, after some play time... I gave her a treat after that about a hour later and walked her about 30 mins after that and from then about 5pm till now 1030 she still has not pooped again. she has peed 4 times but no poop.

maybe this is a stupid question but I am asking anyways.

also how long can a dog hold it? I have been being nice and let her in the house, for a few hours yesterday she came in after play time outside and stayed in untill 11pm when I went to bed.

shes in my living room right now, I would allow her to stay in all night but i don't want no accitends to clean up.

do those puppy pads autally work? will she go stright to it and not my carpet to pee or poop? is there something in them a oder or something that attracts them to them?

Thanks

shes got a Apt. monday at 9am to get her rabies shot and a exam, hopfully they will be able to tell me how old she is for sure.

Idk what to tell you actually. My pit usually tells me when she has to go potty. She poops I say 3 times a day but thats a guess. Each dog is different.
I used training pads to potty train my pit. They work great! Yes, there is an odor that attracts them to the pad. Keep the pads lined by the door, pretty soon when you see them go to the door its because they have to use the bathroom. Before you allow them to use the pad open the door, take them out and pretty soon they will pick up that they have to potty outside. Took mine 2 weeks to learn. Some people put the pads outside the door too but my pit learned quickly. No need for it with mine. Try it and see.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:21 pm

My dogs eat twice a day. My male (55 - 60 pounds) eats 3 cups a day of Nature's Variety and he goes twice a day. My female (48 pounds) eats 2 cups a day and goes about 4 times on the same food. When she was on Timberwolf before they switched their ingredients, she used to go once a day, maybe twice.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Re: if a dog eats in the morning, how many times shold poop?

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 pm

pit_amor wrote:
reddog wrote:just wondered if a dog only ate once in the morning then how many times in that day would he poop? I feed my dog at 8-9am every morning and take her for a walk, normally within 20 mins she has pooped.

today I feed her this morning and she pooped once in her pen and then I went off, when i got home i walked her and she pooped then, after some play time... I gave her a treat after that about a hour later and walked her about 30 mins after that and from then about 5pm till now 1030 she still has not pooped again. she has peed 4 times but no poop.

maybe this is a stupid question but I am asking anyways.

also how long can a dog hold it? I have been being nice and let her in the house, for a few hours yesterday she came in after play time outside and stayed in untill 11pm when I went to bed.

shes in my living room right now, I would allow her to stay in all night but i don't want no accitends to clean up.

do those puppy pads autally work? will she go stright to it and not my carpet to pee or poop? is there something in them a oder or something that attracts them to them?

Thanks

shes got a Apt. monday at 9am to get her rabies shot and a exam, hopfully they will be able to tell me how old she is for sure.

Idk what to tell you actually. My pit usually tells me when she has to go potty. She poops I say 3 times a day but thats a guess. Each dog is different.
I used training pads to potty train my pit. They work great! Yes, there is an odor that attracts them to the pad. Keep the pads lined by the door, pretty soon when you see them go to the door its because they have to use the bathroom. Before you allow them to use the pad open the door, take them out and pretty soon they will pick up that they have to potty outside. Took mine 2 weeks to learn. Some people put the pads outside the door too but my pit learned quickly. No need for it with mine. Try it and see.

thanks for the info. might have to give it a try then

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Daisy will hold it all day long. She has never had an accident in the house or in her crate and she simply will not go when in her kennel.

Rosco on the other hand will poop just about whenever he feels like it. I don't know if its because he cant hold it, or won't or just has to go more than Daisy. He'll go in his kennel, probably 2-3 times a day and then another 1 or 2 in the evening.

He and Daisy are nearly the same size (Rosco- 57 lbs and Daisy 52 lbs) and eat the same amount of the same food (natures variety).

Pearls just a puppy, she has no rhyme or reason with her pooping. lol

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:46 pm

LazyDaisy wrote:Daisy will hold it all day long. She has never had an accident in the house or in her crate and she simply will not go when in her kennel.

Rosco on the other hand will poop just about whenever he feels like it. I don't know if its because he cant hold it, or won't or just has to go more than Daisy. He'll go in his kennel, probably 2-3 times a day and then another 1 or 2 in the evening.

He and Daisy are nearly the same size (Rosco- 57 lbs and Daisy 52 lbs) and eat the same amount of the same food (natures variety).

Pearls just a puppy, she has no rhyme or reason with her pooping. lol

Thanks

Return to “Health Issues”