Dog Farts and OMG stinks, Help,anything make it not so bad?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Dog Farts and OMG stinks, Help,anything make it not so bad?

Postby reddog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 pm

Stupid question I guess, but my dog has been farting A LOT. I do not understand why this dog farts so much, is there something to give them so they will not fart? or at least to make it not smell as bad?

Once I thought she might be expressng her glands but i looked and didn't see anything but god it stunk

thanks

BTW i only feed her once in the morning, dry food. Forgot name of it, cheap stuff from Dollar store only $2.00 a bag.

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:28 pm

I would change what you are feeding your dog. That explains the bad gas.
The food most likely has by-products. Def NOT healthy! If you want a cheap dog food I'd suggest getting it from walmart rather than the dollar store. I would not feed my dogs food from either place though. Go to your local pet store and see what they have.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:30 pm

pit_amor wrote:I would change what you are feeding your dog. That explains the bad gas.
The food most likely has by-products. Def NOT healthy! If you want a cheap dog food I'd suggest getting it from walmart rather than the dollar store. I would not feed my dogs food from either place though. Go to your local pet store and see what they have.

Pit_amor's correct. You want to feed her a much better food. You can also give her ginger tablets. It tends to nulify the gas.

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Re: Dog Farts and OMG stinks, Help,anything make it not so b

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:36 pm

reddog wrote:Stupid question I guess, but my dog has been farting A LOT. I do not understand why this dog farts so much, is there something to give them so they will not fart? or at least to make it not smell as bad?

Once I thought she might be expressng her glands but i looked and didn't see anything but god it stunk

thanks

BTW i only feed her once in the morning, dry food. Forgot name of it, cheap stuff from Dollar store only $2.00 a bag.

Also how old is your dog? I would suggest feeding it twice or three times a day rather than once a day. I feed my girl three times a day.

yamaha4eva
Newborn Bully

Postby yamaha4eva » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:53 pm

Wow I hope that 2 dollars a bag is about 1 serving. If your paying that much for 15 or 30lbs of food you definately need to get that dog on something else.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:03 am

pit_amor wrote:I would change what you are feeding your dog. That explains the bad gas.

by products? Would it say that on the box? so anything with that is not good? whats a good cheaper food?

hey ShadowWolf------- what is ginger tablets? where you buy them?

pit_amor---- I Am not sure going to vet in morning I hope they will tell me her age and weight.

yamaha4eva ----- No its a one pound or two I think a bag, it has lasted her two weeks on that one bag. just a cup or so a day, if she eats to much she gets sick, cause she eats so fast, I can not get her to eat slower.
they had the same size bag but with that beinfiber or whatever it was like $8.00 a bag.

start my new job she will get some better food

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:43 am

i tried putting a small lemon wede up his bum, worked great..

jk.:)

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:02 am

By products are actually not bad.

How many pounds is that bag you're buying? It may equal out to be around the same price as a larger bag of decent dog food. If you have a feed store or locally owned pet store near you, they may carry Diamond, which is not too expensive at all. It's not gourmet, but it's better than the walmart or most other store brands. It's about $14 for 40 lbs around here, and that size bag should last you a couple months. It would definitely be a step up.

Don't feel bad if you can't afford the $30-$40 a bag stuff. I know many people feel that if their dog is worth it, no matter the cost. Which is totally understandable. But for a lot of us, we'd simply go broke if we spent that kind of money. I've been through a ridiculous number of different foods in the time I've been a dog owner, and right now I'm at a point where I just can't afford to spend that much. And to be honest, I'm not sure I would anymore, seeing how well my dogs do on the mid-grade stuff. There's really no discernible difference in them now, compared to when I fed the expensive kibbles.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is don't worry about waiting until you can buy a perfect dog food. Just work with what you have, and try to find a good value for your money.

So look around for Diamond, or heck, even Purina Dog Chow. $17 for 50 lbs. Definitely a step up from dollar store stuff. Diamond adult maintenance is about $14 for 50lbs. And it's not *that* bad.

Chicken by-product meal, wheat flour, whole grain ground corn, rice bran, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, egg product, fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor. Vitamins, minerals and chelated minerals

I bet it has way more meat and less artificial stuff than the dollar store brand. Wheat flour is not a great grain, and neither is whole corn or rice bran. But it's still mostly meat.

Also, your better value is always in the big bags. Small bags of very cheap food are more expensive per pound than a big bag of decent food.

Is this dog a puppy?

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 am

Linariel wrote:By products are actually not bad.

How many pounds is that bag you're buying? It may equal out to be around the same price as a larger bag of decent dog food. If you have a feed store or locally owned pet store near you, they may carry Diamond, which is not too expensive at all. It's not gourmet, but it's better than the walmart or most other store brands. It's about $14 for 40 lbs around here, and that size bag should last you a couple months. It would definitely be a step up.

Don't feel bad if you can't afford the $30-$40 a bag stuff. I know many people feel that if their dog is worth it, no matter the cost. Which is totally understandable. But for a lot of us, we'd simply go broke if we spent that kind of money. I've been through a ridiculous number of different foods in the time I've been a dog owner, and right now I'm at a point where I just can't afford to spend that much. And to be honest, I'm not sure I would anymore, seeing how well my dogs do on the mid-grade stuff. There's really no discernible difference in them now, compared to when I fed the expensive kibbles.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is don't worry about waiting until you can buy a perfect dog food. Just work with what you have, and try to find a good value for your money.

So look around for Diamond, or heck, even Purina Dog Chow. $17 for 50 lbs. Definitely a step up from dollar store stuff. Diamond adult maintenance is about $14 for 50lbs. And it's not *that* bad.

Chicken by-product meal, wheat flour, whole grain ground corn, rice bran, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, egg product, fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor. Vitamins, minerals and chelated minerals

I bet it has way more meat and less artificial stuff than the dollar store brand. Wheat flour is not a great grain, and neither is whole corn or rice bran. But it's still mostly meat.

Also, your better value is always in the big bags. Small bags of very cheap food are more expensive per pound than a big bag of decent food.

Is this dog a puppy?

Thanks, well to be onest did not know it made that big a driffrent what it was. other then price. Figured some name brand some were not.

I do have a feed store close to me, i will check it out next time I am in town to see what they have.

Well the people I got her from said about 6 months but everyone on here says more like a yr, got a vet apt. in mornin I hope they can tell me for sure how old she really is.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 am

Yeah, it does make a difference...cheap dog food is like mcdonalds for dogs, only with a lot less real meat. Your dog will poop less and feel better on a better food. If you're paying $2 for a couple pounds, that's like $1 a pound. You can get a decent food for forty cents per pound, or less.

Good luck with her! since you don't know her history , make sure she gets her puppy shots. You can even do those yourself. My vet charges $20 per vaccine, plus a $20 office visit. You can get the vaccines for $7 at the feed store. Just read up on it online, it's not hard at all.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Also with a higher quality food you usually end up having to feed her less because it is more digestible. So the better foods may cost more, but they also tend to last longer because you usually feed smaller servings.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:22 pm

If you have a farm/ranch store near you they often sell decent food for sporting dogs (like hunting dogs). I get something called Enhance something or other (sporting dog) for my neighbors who currently can't afford to feed themselves let alone their dogs. It costs $19 for 50lbs and is actually pretty good. The protein and fat may be a bit high for some dogs though.

Also, a bit of plain yogurt helps with the gas. Try a Tbs a day.

reddog are you on a kick? First poop questions then fart questions. lol

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:07 pm

merriterrier wrote:If you have a farm/ranch store near you they often sell decent food for sporting dogs (like hunting dogs). I get something called Enhance something or other (sporting dog) for my neighbors who currently can't afford to feed themselves let alone their dogs. It costs $19 for 50lbs and is actually pretty good. The protein and fat may be a bit high for some dogs though.

Also, a bit of plain yogurt helps with the gas. Try a Tbs a day.

reddog are you on a kick? First poop questions then fart questions. lol

thanks for the info,. plain yogurt huh, never heard of that. Alright.

Well just few things came up at once. thats all

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Please for the dogs health, put him on some decent dry dog food and feed him twice a day. Not just a giant pile of food that he wolf's down until he is stuffed off of some unknown garbage $2 food.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:56 pm

Lanolar wrote:Please for the dogs health, put him on some decent dry dog food and feed him twice a day. Not just a giant pile of food that he wolf's down until he is stuffed off of some unknown garbage $2 food.

this is driffrent from the other but we had to buy another cheap bag today, to last untill wed when we get paid anyways its called

American Value says bite size dog food it says 51-100 pount dog you feed them 2 1/2-4 cups a day.

says

crude protein minimum 18%
Crude Fat min. 7.0%
Crude Fiber max. 9.0%
Moisture max. 12.0%

does that^ tell you much about it?

Return to “Health Issues”