Dog Farts and OMG stinks, Help,anything make it not so bad?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:33 pm

I think it's more the ingredients you want to be looking at. There are some good, not too expensive, kibbles you can get. Kirkland is one brand that people seem to like, as is Canidea.

It's also good to keep in mind that you'll need to feed less of a higher quality food, so that you won't be going through it as fast.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 pm

pitgrrl wrote:I think it's more the ingredients you want to be looking at. There are some good, not too expensive, kibbles you can get. Kirkland is one brand that people seem to like, as is Canidea.

It's also good to keep in mind that you'll need to feed less of a higher quality food, so that you won't be going through it as fast.

Alright thanks.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:31 pm

We feed a grocery store brand... there are no by-products on the ingredient list and the first ingredient is New Zealand Lamb... not a meat by-product.

It's not that expensive ($20 for 40 pounds) and that lasts our two dogs (one is 52 pounds, one weighs 80 pounds) almost 3 weeks, total they eat almost 7 cups a day. We do put a spoon of plain yogurt on the kibble morning and night and it has helped with the farting problem here... they still do it, but at least you don't need to light a candle and leave the room now lol

pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby pit_amor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:59 am

Don't forget that you can also prepare your dogs meals yourself.
It might be cheaper for you than to buy the expensive brands.
I just started making my dogs their own meals because it is more healthy than some expensive foods I thought was good for them.
Some suggestions to meal making is:
Brown Rice or wheat pasta
Eggs-(I cook mine)
Yogurt
Apples
Carrots
Chicken/turkey
Oatmeal
Potatoes
I make enough to last through the week.
Just something to think about. If you do decide to do this start by adding it to the food you currently feed your dog until they take to it.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:24 am

pit_amor wrote:Don't forget that you can also prepare your dogs meals yourself.
It might be cheaper for you than to buy the expensive brands.
I just started making my dogs their own meals because it is more healthy than some expensive foods I thought was good for them.
Some suggestions to meal making is:
Brown Rice or wheat pasta
Eggs-(I cook mine)
Yogurt
Apples
Carrots
Chicken/turkey
Oatmeal
Potatoes
I make enough to last through the week.
Just something to think about. If you do decide to do this start by adding it to the food you currently feed your dog until they take to it.

Thanks. well that doesn't seem bad for $17-20 for a big bag that will last for a month or so. have to check out the feed store when we get paid

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:15 pm

My dog has bad gas too and she is on a higher grade dog food. I've been told that pit bulls just have bad gas.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:My dog has bad gas too and she is on a higher grade dog food. I've been told that pit bulls just have bad gas.

Not true. None of mine have bad gas.
I would take gas as a sign that they have eaten something that doesn't agree with their system.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:My dog has bad gas too and she is on a higher grade dog food. I've been told that pit bulls just have bad gas.

oh yeah, guess I should had asked the vet today. but i have not noticed the gas the last day or so. so maybe it was just a one day thing. i think it was the day i gave treats. no more treats if its going to make that happen lol

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Allie wrote:

Not true. None of mine have bad gas.
I would take gas as a sign that they have eaten something that doesn't agree with their system.

Probably too much Beer ;)

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:23 pm

hope it was just a couple day thing and has went away.

Return to “Health Issues”