Helena is back on Ivermectin. Quick Question Please!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Helena is back on Ivermectin. Quick Question Please!

Postby Shes Got Heart » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:41 pm

I have put Helena back on Ivermectin 1% for her demodedic mange. The dosage is 1.3 milliliters and she weighs about 50lbs. The vet said that she will probably be on it for about 60 days. It's been awhile since she's been on it, I got so paranoid about "what if I give her the wrong dose" type of thing or "what if I'm reading the syringe wrong" So in a standard 3 ml syringe, the syringe is filled to the number 1 and then 3 more dashes for a total of 1.3 correct? I called my dad who is an RN and has experience giving humans meds and he said that that is correct. So thats right, right? I get so worried over these things!

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

If there are ten dashes total between 1 and 2, then that's correct. 1mL = 1cc

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Hah i feel ya! I was very paranoid also about Lilo's Dosage and making sure to hide the meds WAY out of the dogs range when I put it away.

When I was at the office, a dog was there had drank a LOT of Ivermectin. The guy had just picked it up for his other dog and left it in reach of the dogs when he left. Well, it was cherry flavored so the dog with no dosage resistance built up got into it. Unfortunately the dog did not make it. Pretty heartbreaking. I know it was made crystal clear to the guy to make sure the dogs could not get into it too. He just made a mistake and it cost him and the dog dearly.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Oh how sad. :crybaby: Well luckily I do have the dosage correct. I am just giving it to her plain and she hates the taste so theres no way she'd go for it. Poor thing had a horrible look on her face today after I gave her the first dose. I know it's yicky so I gave her some treats after to hopefully get the taste out of her mouth.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:12 pm

People who use use wormer run the same risk. When I was a groom, my boss told me about a dog who ate a whole package of horse wormer.
I was very paranoid when I was dosing Soleil w/ivermectin for her demo.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:15 pm

Leslie H wrote:People who use use wormer run the same risk. When I was a groom, my boss told me about a dog who ate a whole package of horse wormer.

Paranoid about using the wormer/ivermectin in general? Or that she would accidentally eat a lot of it?

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:01 pm

mommy2kane wrote:
Leslie H wrote:People who use use wormer run the same risk. When I was a groom, my boss told me about a dog who ate a whole package of horse wormer.

Paranoid about using the wormer/ivermectin in general? Or that she would accidentally eat a lot of it?

Both should be a major concern.
1) Double check the dose and dogs weight.
2) Double check to make sure the meds can not be found by the dogs.

Ivermectin is very toxic and can not be given to certain breeds and dogs need to be slowly introduced to it. As bad as this sounds, its still safer than the Mitoban dip. Many Vets will no longer use Mitaban due to high rate of side effects.

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Actually Ivermectin is not as potent as it used to be, it's being used by everyone for everything. I know for sure you can give it at atleast TWICE the prescribed dose and be alright. I double the dose for my goats because a normal dose won't kill the worms. So yes, hide the bottle so the dog doesn't eat it but no need to stress out about the EXACT dose. Good luck with the demo. its no fun for the poor pup!

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:09 pm

When I have been giving her dose I can't seem to get some of the air bubbles out of the syringe and it looks like theres liquid in the end tip of the syringe which makes me wonder if it's an air bubble or if I am giving her too much. Ofcourse it might have been like that the first time, shes been on this stuff before. Any tips for that?

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Just tip the end up and take it a few times with your fingernail to get the bubbles up top. Then you can squeeze most of the air out.

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:43 pm

take=tap

No edit button /grrr

dresie
Newborn Bully

Postby dresie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:33 am

Shes Got Heart wrote:When I have been giving her dose I can't seem to get some of the air bubbles out of the syringe and it looks like theres liquid in the end tip of the syringe which makes me wonder if it's an air bubble or if I am giving her too much. Ofcourse it might have been like that the first time, shes been on this stuff before. Any tips for that?

My dog takes 4cc's of it, hes so use to it he takes it like a champ :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:30 pm

INOCNTKITN187 wrote:Actually Ivermectin is not as potent as it used to be, it's being used by everyone for everything. I know for sure you can give it at atleast TWICE the prescribed dose and be alright. I double the dose for my goats because a normal dose won't kill the worms. So yes, hide the bottle so the dog doesn't eat it but no need to stress out about the EXACT dose. Good luck with the demo. its no fun for the poor pup!

Being able to safely double the dose isn't a very safe dosing range compared to most meds. Also, individual dogs have varying sensitivities to it. Collie breeds for instance can become very sick from a single dose of heartworm preventative, which is a much lower dose than what is given for deworming or mange treatment. Ivermectin is not a drug to be used lightly, no matter how common, cheap, easy, and widely used it appears to be.

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:49 am

Better to give too much than too little. When I was treating my dog (under my vet's direction)he was getting more than double doses every two weeks and was just fine. I'm not advising you to do the same - just don't worry too much. In my situation it was a last resort before euth. because he was so bad.

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:When I have been giving her dose I can't seem to get some of the air bubbles out of the syringe and it looks like theres liquid in the end tip of the syringe which makes me wonder if it's an air bubble or if I am giving her too much. Ofcourse it might have been like that the first time, shes been on this stuff before. Any tips for that?

I always fill the syringe and push out what I don't need. Usually will get rid of the air bubbles at the same time.

Return to “Health Issues”