Does anyone else here not use heartworm medicine?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 am

I use Interceptor March thru Dec...

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:57 am

My dogs are on Heartguard from May to November.

Even though incidents in Alberta are really low, I'm not willing to risk my dogs, especally with the number of dogs that have been brought up from the Southern States since Katrina.

My vet feels very strongly about dogs being on preventative - he personally, has seen coyotes in our area affected with heartworms.

Dizzy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Dizzy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 am

Wow, thanks for the new info, guys-I didn't realize that. I consider it, definately.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:47 am

Murfins wrote:My dogs are on Heartguard from May to November.

Even though incidents in Alberta are really low, I'm not willing to risk my dogs, especally with the number of dogs that have been brought up from the Southern States since Katrina.

My vet feels very strongly about dogs being on preventative - he personally, has seen coyotes in our area affected with heartworms.

Our vet here talked with me about it and the risk is non-existant here so she's never recommended it to us.
But if I lived in an area where it was a concern, I'd give the preventative monthly.
Ivermectin can be purchased for $35.00 for a whole bottle that'd last a year or more. Pretty cheap compared to your dogs' lives.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 am

Murfins wrote:My vet feels very strongly about dogs being on preventative - he personally, has seen coyotes in our area affected with heartworms.

If they're seeing coyotes with HW, then it's definitely in your area, even if not widespread. My own vet (I'm in NW Oregon) did not feel that I needed to use preventative.

I do think that the HW is eventually going to make it's way into every area, though, and no place will be safe.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:24 am

There is heartworm in my area, so my dog is on preventative. If I ever move to an area where it is not prevalent, I would prefer to take him off of it, because I do not particularly like giving him more medication than is absolutely necessary.

Speaking of which, has anyone used that new medicine (im not sure who puts it out) that covers heartworm, fleas, mosquitoes, and other worms? It is a very expensive product, but I am curious about it. Honestly, I keep hearing that flea preventative is supposed to work like a charm, and I have used all the products, frontline, advantage, advantix, with almost no results. This seriously makes me question effectiveness of heartworm medication as well, especially if one lives in an environment where it is prevalent.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:18 pm

HW medication is very effective, the HWs don't develop immunity the way that fleas do.

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:38 pm

We dont use it here in Nevada.... Vet doesnt feel we need too, although when I lived in Illinois the dogs were on it from April to November, if i remember right....

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:25 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:I have used all the products, frontline, advantage, advantix, with almost no results. This seriously makes me question effectiveness of heartworm medication as well, especially if one lives in an environment where it is prevalent.

:eek:

Those must be some badass fleas - I used frontline plus and my dogs haven't had fleas since I first brought them home.

I'm now using K9 Advantix - and that's also fully effective

Maybe your dogs are wiping it off on the furniture before it has a chance to soak in

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:50 pm

My dogs aren't on it currently, but a few years ago, DJ had a pretty advanced stage of it.

He was at the vets for a few days and the whole procedure of shots was about $300.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Khan is on heartguard April-December the risk isn't worth not having him on it.

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:25 pm

We use Interceptor year round and test for HW 1x a year.

I could probably get away with seasonal use but I don't want to chance anything.

Bluebear
Super Bully

Postby Bluebear » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:37 pm

We use Triheart + (generic Heartgard +) for HW and Comfortis, a new flea pill, for fleas. We live in SC, so Blue's on it all year round. We also test once a year for HW and internal parasites.

Two new flea products just came out in the last 3 months. Promeris is a solution similar to Frontline but it works totally different on the fleas. It's also good for ticks. Comfortis is the new flea pill. I like it because I don't have to put the sticky stuff on his back anymore.

Sentinel is a HW, flea, and tick pill all in one, but it only kills adult fleas. It does not kill the larva.

HTH

~Robyn

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:56 pm

We live on a tropical island where the skeeters never go away...so my dogs are always on Interceptor.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Sarah wrote:
Murfins wrote:My vet feels very strongly about dogs being on preventative - he personally, has seen coyotes in our area affected with heartworms.

If they're seeing coyotes with HW, then it's definitely in your area, even if not widespread. My own vet (I'm in NW Oregon) did not feel that I needed to use preventative.

I do think that the HW is eventually going to make it's way into every area, though, and no place will be safe.

I don't know - I always thought that way too but our vet told me our weather will not sustain the lifecycle of the insect or the larva(?) that transmits HW.

Return to “Health Issues”