Genetics and Mange

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Genesis~N~Petey
Super Bully

Genetics and Mange

Postby Genesis~N~Petey » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:06 pm

Ok, Im sorry if I missed this in my search. I read many posts but couldn't find my answer. So my youngest pit was diagnosed with demodex mange when she was about four months old. She got cleared up and does pretty good unless she gets stressed then we treat her. But anyway to my question.

First let me say that I AM NOT BREEDING HER EVER. Just to get that out of the way, I was just wondering if Demodex was genetic. Like hypothetically if she was to have puppies what is the chance of them having it? AGAIN NO I AM NOT PLANNING ON BREEDING HER!

But I was thinking the other day I wonder if her parents had this and could she pass it on genetically.

If there is another thread about this please direct me to it, I read through LOTS and couldn't find the answer. Thanks:)

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 pm

it can be genetic and if she was to have pups its possible that she pass it on to her pups . i dont know what the percentage is but i know its there

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:32 pm

It is very highly inheritable. My vet told me he felt it increased geometrically, if both parents had it mildly, the pups would have it horribly. I was involved in an ab breeding years back. My ex's partner purchased an adult female, had her bred to a male on the other coast. We had no idea if either parent had demo as pups, both looked fine as adults. Of the litter of 9, only one made it to a year of age. All other pups had been euthed, due to their extremely comprimised immune systems. The one who survived had to wait until the vet felt she was strong enough to spay, I think she was 2-3. All pups had been sold/placed, prior to their becoming symptomatic, as the age of onset is about 4 months. It was a real tragedy.

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:45 pm

In my experience, Bully breeds in general are more likely to get it than other breeds. I work with a rescue that specializes in bully breeds and it seems much more common with them.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 pm

If your pup has one small spot that goes away without treatment, it can be blamed on an immature immune system.

If your pup has more than one spot, then the immune system is compromised (likely a heritable trait) and the dog should never be bred.

Genesis~N~Petey
Super Bully

Postby Genesis~N~Petey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Thats pretty interesting. So that means that her parents probably had it. When she gets stressed she gets a lot of spots. But she will never be bred so we just have to worry about her:)

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:51 pm

It could be that both her parents had it, but just minor cases.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Demodex found on all dogs, it's just how they control it that varies? As in, the reason you have problems with it is that the dog's immune response is decreased so the mites are able to multiply to a large number and then cause skin problems. Whereas in a normal dog, the immune system keeps them in check.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Roxers wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Demodex found on all dogs, it's just how they control it that varies? As in, the reason you have problems with it is that the dog's immune response is decreased so the mites are able to multiply to a large number and then cause skin problems. Whereas in a normal dog, the immune system keeps them in check.

Yes, almost ALL dogs have demodex mites, at least they do if they nursed from a canine mother for any period of time. The problem occurs when the immune systems allows the mites to get out of control and they cause irritation in the hair follicles, which then causes folliculitis, which then results in bacterial skin infections that make a dog itchy and miserable.

Genesis~N~Petey
Super Bully

Postby Genesis~N~Petey » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:11 pm

So I know how to treat it when she has a break out but how do I boost her immune system to keep it from coming back???

APBTmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby APBTmom » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Ichabods demodex comes and goes. I give him ivermectin and vitamin supplements....at times he gets the mitaban dip, but hasn't needed it this round. He also gets salmon oil in his food.

He is just coming out of a bad spell now.
Good luck!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:31 pm

If she's young, she'll probably have a more mature immune system by the time she's 10-12 months old.
Soleil had pretty significant demo as a pup, started to get generalized, and I treated her w/ivomec. She's intact because I still show her in conformation occasionally (she will not be bred). The only time I see demo is a little patch at the end of her heat cycle.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Leslie H wrote:She's intact because I still show her in conformation occasionally (she will not be bred).

What is the reasoning for conformation if she isn't a breeding prospect?

The mange itself isn't genetic, it's the compromised immune system that is.

dresie
Newborn Bully

Postby dresie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 am

This is what happens when its not controlled the dog i rescued has it BAAAAAAAAD. When i saw him at the animal shelter it looked waaaaay worse.

Demodex flare ups can also be caused by unsanitary living conditions.

U can see on the top of his head where the mites had eaten through his skin his cheeks are swollen with red puss filled pesscuals (spell check)the red tingy skin is where its irritated.They the bumps almost look like boils. A good sign is seeing the bumps it means the mites are coming to the surface dead.

A good way to get rid of a flare up also, is an antibiotic they give cows its called IVOMECTRIN they give it to cows to help prevent heartworms it works in dogs also for that reason. You can find it at any feed supply store for livestock.My dog gets a dose of 4cc's once daily since my dogs a puppy its hard for his immune system to fight back and kill the mites, so the ivomectrin speeds up his immune system. Also my dog is on cephelxin for the skin to help get his hair back that he's missing and for any infection that might take place from the mites.

If any of you need any advice on this Id be more then willing to help Ive done lots of research on demodex. My first dog ashley had it but it was veeeeeeeery mild case it went away in a few days of being on antibiotics vet said it was just because of her living conditions when i found her.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:14 pm

What is the reasoning for conformation if she isn't a breeding prospect?

A couple reasons. First, I enjoy it. Second, I like having judges see a conformationally correct small dog. Third, I really want to earn a Total Dog w/UKC. I came close w/Xanny, but not quite. Finally, I don't believe that conformation is only for brood stock. When Soleil's out there, she also represents her sire, dam, and ancestors. Personally, I'd be fine w/speutered dogs competing equally in conformation, I think the best dog should win. I know this is not the popular opinion.

Return to “Health Issues”