Genetics and Mange

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:10 pm

dresie wrote:Demodex flare ups can also be caused by unsanitary living conditions.

Only due to the effects of the living conditions on the immune system.

dresie wrote:A good way to get rid of a flare up also, is an antibiotic they give cows its called IVOMECTRIN they give it to cows to help prevent heartworms it works in dogs also for that reason. You can find it at any feed supply store for livestock.My dog gets a dose of 4cc's once daily since my dogs a puppy its hard for his immune system to fight back and kill the mites, so the ivomectrin speeds up his immune system. Also my dog is on cephelxin for the skin to help get his hair back that he's missing and for any infection that might take place from the mites.

Ivermectin is not an antibiotic, and cows don't get heartworms. It is an anti-parasite medication, and can be toxic to dogs if given the wrong dose. Always check with your vet before starting Ivermectin treament to make sure you have the correct dosage.

APBTmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby APBTmom » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:53 pm

dresie wrote:My dog gets a dose of 4cc's once daily since my dogs a puppy its hard for his immune system to fight back and kill the mites, so the ivomectrin speeds up his immune system.

4cc's?
How much does he weigh?

dresie
Newborn Bully

Postby dresie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 am

Roxers wrote:
dresie wrote:Demodex flare ups can also be caused by unsanitary living conditions.

Only due to the effects of the living conditions on the immune system.

dresie wrote:A good way to get rid of a flare up also, is an antibiotic they give cows its called IVOMECTRIN they give it to cows to help prevent heartworms it works in dogs also for that reason. You can find it at any feed supply store for livestock.My dog gets a dose of 4cc's once daily since my dogs a puppy its hard for his immune system to fight back and kill the mites, so the ivomectrin speeds up his immune system. Also my dog is on cephelxin for the skin to help get his hair back that he's missing and for any infection that might take place from the mites.

Ivermectin is not an antibiotic, and cows don't get heartworms. It is an anti-parasite medication, and can be toxic to dogs if given the wrong dose. Always check with your vet before starting Ivermectin treament to make sure you have the correct dosage.

lol doh! thats what i meant was an antiparasite sorry i was in a hurry when i wrote that i was on my way to work :oops: I meant it can also be used to prevent heartworms in dogs info from the vet.

dresie
Newborn Bully

Postby dresie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 am

APBTmom wrote:
dresie wrote:My dog gets a dose of 4cc's once daily since my dogs a puppy its hard for his immune system to fight back and kill the mites, so the ivomectrin speeds up his immune system.

4cc's?
How much does he weigh?

hes about 28-30lbs i believe, ill have to check his paperwork. But this was the dose the vet at the shelter was giving him. So im just continuing to follow her directions.

Return to “Health Issues”