Uh oh . . . Achilles hurt his leg

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Uh oh . . . Achilles hurt his leg

Postby Liebo11 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey guys I haven't posted for a while and everything has been going well with Achilles but today we were at the dog park for about 2 hours and he was running around the whole time pretty hard and everything seemed completely fine until...we went in the car and then when we went to go in the house he wasn't getting up to go...so I got him in and quickly noticed that he's limping pretty bad and it seems he can't put any pressure on his rear left leg...I carried him onto the couch and now hes laying down on the floor and i'm touching his leg and trying to flex it and I can tell that it hurts him somewhere near his upper thigh area and his natural reaction is just to try to nip at me but not really bite just showing me that it hurts him...I really don't know what to do I guess it could be a pulled muscle or even worse a torn mcl??? I'm not going to take him to the vet YET but I guess all i can do now is wait a few days to see if it improves by itself? Any suggestions/remedies/educated guesses on diagnosing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Jeremy and Achilles

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:07 pm

I'd do your best to rest him and see how it goes. Sounds pretty suspicious for an ACL injury.

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:41 pm

Without a vet exam, you are going to hear best and worst case scenarios here. Don't do that to yourself! It's stressful enough as it is! You are doing the common sense thing by resting Achilles as much as possible and seeing how it goes. Good luck to you and your boy! :thumbsup:

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:18 am

thanks for the advice...I hate seeing him in pain and it really feels like he can't put any pressure whatsoever on it at all...any recommendation on how long to wait or just go day by day to see if he gets any better?

Thanks

- Jeremy and Hurt Achy :-(

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:32 pm

How is Achilles doing?

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:37 pm

I normally give a limp a week to show improvement. If no change then off to the vet we go. Keep him confined as much as possible. The only time he should be using that leg is to go outside to potty. No playing for sure.

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi thanks for asking how achilles is doing...today he started getting up by himself and walking a little bit while putting no pressure on the hurt leg...he did however stand on it but now I lifted him up onto my bed and we're relaxing together so I just hope hes feeling better and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated...thanks

- Jeremy and Hurt Boy

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Get well soon Achilles! Although, I do find his name quite ironic.

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:12 pm

haha that is actually very funny/ironic . . . i didn't even think of that!

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

hey guys...it seems as though what looks like he's getting better is really just him adapting to using only 3 legs cause although he is walking around he is not putting any pressure on the hurt leg at all...you guys think its time to take him to the vet yet or a couple more days? This happened on Sunday so I don't wanna wait much longer risking further damage

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Poor guy! :sad: Does he stand on it at all, like when he eats? Is it still as touchy as it was when you tried to flex it the first day? Is he whiny at all? Even the tiniest bit of improvement is a good sign, as even minor muscle strains seem to take forever to fully heal. I would give it a few more days, but you know your boy better than anyone.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 pm

It sure cannot hurt to have him checked out.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 am

I'd probably take him in and get him checked if he were mine. He sounds like he's pretty painful.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:02 am

My baby hurt the exact same leg Friday (2/15) trying to be Super Dog...I immediately took her to the vet. I was a wreck...but after x-rays, etc...she has a severe sprain and they put her on an anti-inflammatory so she has good blood flow for healing and I also opted for a few days of pain meds. She's still limping but not as bad. Just thought I'd give you my situation. My vet said its always good for the anti-inflammatory when they injure themselves like that because the muscle/tendons can get inflamed which causes bad blood flow which causes delay in healing.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:17 am

It really does sound like a torn cruciate
I would take him in so you know what your are delaing with and what your options are.
I hope it is a minor spraoin at the most.

Return to “Health Issues”