Uh oh . . . Achilles hurt his leg

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 am

Take him in, there should be "some" improvement by now. Better safe than sorry. If he broke something you wouldn't want the vet to have to rebrake it to set it properly.

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm

yeh i have an appointment on saturday . . . earliest i could really get because i have work for the rest of the week . . . someone is always home with him though and my other dogs and monitoring his status . . . i feel bad for the big guy . . . theres nothing more sad then seeing a 75 lb. pit bull with the head the size of a moose walking around on 3 legs :frown:

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 pm

of course I will get him the surgery if he needs it but out of curiousity how much is the CCL surgery around?

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

::UPDATE::

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am

Hey guys . . . well last night I saw him put SOME pressure on the leg and then he like started to play and sort of "run" around . . . he's still hopping around a little but it seems to be getting a little better . . . i feel like if it was a tear it would be much easier to recognize because he wouldn't be able to do anything really? However . . . I do know that pitbulls have an incredible pain threshold so thats something I have to keep in mind I guess . . . Thanks for all the responses and I hope he feels better by saturday (vet appt.) :frown:

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Yay! :thumbsup:

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 pm

wow tonight is like a world of difference!!!!!!!! He's walking on it much more now and I can tell he's starting to feel a little better . . . is it still possible its a tear or are we almost sure its a sprain now?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:21 pm

yes it is still possibly it is a tear, but I hope it isn't.
Babyreba's boy, 'Tucker' has acl tears and bad hips and could still run, play and use his flirt pole. Even his first vet thought all was well because of how active he was.
My last pb also had a tear, had the surgery and then tore it again, he was like Tucker, only limped when he really over did it, would rest a few days to a week and back to rough neck playing again, then limping or three leg hoping, same cycle over and over. .
I hope it is jsut a sprain or sore muscle.

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Just make sure you go to the vet. Regardless what "improvement" he shows. Dogs hide pain very well.

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:57 pm

How is Achilles? Did you go to the vet, or is he getting better on his own?

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

::UPDATE::

Postby Liebo11 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Well . . . first of all I would like to thank each and everyone of you who wrote back to me on the forum and gave me insight and advice . . . Today I took Achilles to the vet and it was confirmed that he has a torn CCL :frown:. While very upset about the fact that he is hurt and needs surgery to repair it, I am also glad that it was confirmed by 2 doctors at my vet and now will be dealt with in a timely manner. I'm not gonna lie it is VERY hard for me to come up with this money and I am really thinking of ways to do it but somehow I will get this dog the surgery he needs/deserves within the next 2 weeks (which the Doc said is the longest we should wait). It is relatively cheap for what the surgery costs at $1600 so i'm really not gonna "shop around" for a better price and they have an orthopedic surgeon who does all the tears. Please just wish me luck with coming up with this money as it is very scarce around here as of late . . . Thanks again.

- Jeremy and Achilles

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 pm

Crap! :crybaby:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:50 pm

All I can say is... www.carecredit.com :(
We got approved instantly when my senior Dachshund needed an emergency splenectomy...

Liebo11
Newborn Bully

Postby Liebo11 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:44 pm

ugh i wish i never even saw that site! my vets office isn't on it . . . i guess i could go to a different one but we feel very comfortable with him . . . maybe i'll just sell my soul?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:02 am

I am sorry it was confirmed, was hoping it wasn't going to be.
Look at pbrc, I thnk they help some, in financial crisis
Also, do a lot of googles, there are orgs. out there that will help if you can find them.
Got anything you can seel on ebay?
Or any dog gear you could offer on here???
Car wash?
Bake sales?
Raffle, maybe set up a raffle for a house cleaning and sell tickest to that?(of course you are going to have to do the cleaning, but if it gets your dog surgery you can do it)

Return to “Health Issues”