Less Energy on BARF?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:45 am

I wish it were normal! Oscars actually even more energetic (I consider it the only negative side effect for me)

I'd guess it's a combination of the weather and the change in diet - that is, not that the diet is going to keep their energy low, but that their bodies are processing things differently.

A completely unscientific opinion from me, but if you miss the energy you can take Oscar for a few days. 8)

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 am

i really don't have any specific info or knowledge, but i do know for certain that when my dogs have a piece of something that forces them to work to eat it (chicken leg quarters or turkey legs, for instance), it causes them to work a bit to eat the food, and they are usually quite content and complacent after they are done. and all 3 of them--even doc--like to go take a nap after breakfast or dinner.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:53 am

Are you sure the recipe you are giving him is properly balanced?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:11 am

I think you are totally on the right track with only chicken for the first couple of weeks. You've been doing so much research and asking so many thoughtful questions!

They maybe tired from the "extra" work of eating raw OR it could be the weather. Mine slow done a bit when it's colder and the sun doesn't come out.

It could laos be that you are seeing less frenzied energy. Many folks see that their dogs have a more even energy level on raw since there's less sugars in a grain-free diet.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Hearts and gizzards are pure muscle, and do not contain the vitamins they need from organ meats. This will be fine for a few weeks, but you're going to need to do something else to get them their vitamins.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 am

Redhead has been fed raw since he was a pup, and he has no shortange of energy. If anything, the opposite.

We used to joke that we should start feeding him the nastiest, cheapest least-natural locally-produced dog food, just to slow him down.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:22 am

NDame616 wrote:Fran,

I appreciate all the help on the board and PM you've given me!

Would you change anything in their diet? More meat? More bone?

Not for now - it's only been about a week?

How's the fast eater doing? If they look like they are really "getting it", then the 2nd week you can start adding in some other stuff like liver or kidney or other proteins.

Return to “Health Issues”