rod ate box Chocolates

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
damienApbt

rod ate box Chocolates

Postby damienApbt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Hey guys, how worried should I be?
I came home today and rod at a box of See's candies Chocolate. He was classy enough not to eat the wrappers, or the box for that matter. He's acting normal, just a little ashamed. How bad is chocolate actually. Should I be worried? I'm preparing for some loose bowels but is there anything else?

lovely

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:33 pm

I would worry because that's my nature but I wouldn't worry so much. Candy chocolate has a lot of sugar and emulsifiers and the See's has all those fillings. However, if my 45lb dog ate a 1lb block of unsweetened baker's chocolate (which has a higher content of the chemical that's toxic to dogs), I would consider making her throw up.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:49 pm

How much chocolate did he eat? And was it dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

If you think he's eaten a dangerous amount, you can always use hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit it back up.

Here's some info about the toxic levels of chocolate.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well.

Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

And here is a chart that maps out the levels of risk from dogs eating chocolate:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/2 ... chart.html

Hope he's ok.. darn dogs can really make us worry at times!

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:20 pm

See's????? :crybaby: Though I hope your dog will fine :)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Were they the regular filled types of Sees? I seriously doubt he'll have any real complications if so. There is very little of the troublesome ingredient in that kind of chocolate, and they weren't solid chocolates...

My 12 lbs. Jack Russell once at a 12oz bag of SnoCaps. That was a problem, she's small and SnoCaps are solid dark chocolate. She puked a lot, which helped her survive according to the vet.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:28 pm

yeah the filled chocolates. not solid. he's an asss. so far he seems fine.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm

At least he didn't eat the good stuff! LOL. As long as he doesn't hurl or crap on any Eames, don't be too hard on him ;)

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 pm

lol . Yeah I guess you're right. Its probably my fault any way. As it usually is.

skada21
Adolescent Bully

Postby skada21 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:20 am

Conan ate a box of chocolate covered pecan clusters at Christmas. I got some info and according to his weight (70 pounds) at the time he would have to eat 3 1/2 pounds of milk chocolate for it to effect him. I think I would feel pretty terrible too if I ate that much!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:37 am

Jasmine once ate an entire dark chocolate orange and it didn't affect her in any way... I think it can be very dog dependant, though.
Good luck Rod. You naughty goof.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:38 am

When I was a kid we had a beagle who ate an entire bag of tollhouse chips.

I still remember coming home to an entire living room decorated with about ten "giant hershey's kisses" (where he'd thrown up.

It was not pretty.

But he lived happily to eat dozens of other horrible things for years after that.

Hope your guy does the same. ;)

jestBC
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jestBC » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 am

Rocky has eaten a 5lb solid choc easter bunny. He was fine...
Last Christmas he unwrapped my Grandma's gift of 2 boxes of Purdy's hedgehogs...ate wrappers and box and all. He was fine...
I think Rod will be OK
:))

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:01 am

KadillacGrrl wrote:Were they the regular filled types of Sees? I seriously doubt he'll have any real complications if so. There is very little of the troublesome ingredient in that kind of chocolate, and they weren't solid chocolates...

My 12 lbs. Jack Russell once at a 12oz bag of SnoCaps. That was a problem, she's small and SnoCaps are solid dark chocolate. She puked a lot, which helped her survive according to the vet.

My doxie, Copper, ate a bunch of those dove dark choc. once and at his weight, we had to induce vomiting. If that isn't fun.
He threw up what looked like cocoa most the evening and shook like a leaf the rest of the evening...heart racing, the whole bit. Scary!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:11 am

msvette2u wrote:
KadillacGrrl wrote:Were they the regular filled types of Sees? I seriously doubt he'll have any real complications if so. There is very little of the troublesome ingredient in that kind of chocolate, and they weren't solid chocolates...

My doxie, Copper, ate a bunch of those dove dark choc. once and at his weight, we had to induce vomiting. If that isn't fun.
He threw up what looked like cocoa most the evening and shook like a leaf the rest of the evening...heart racing, the whole bit. Scary!

Yeah, Trixie had what I called chocolate foam piles all over the house!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:55 pm

How is Rod today?

Return to “Health Issues”