vet said no raw???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jammin636
Newborn Bully

vet said no raw???

Postby jammin636 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

i swear this whole raw thing isnt getting any easier. so heres my situation.

steel has been puking everymorning since i started timberwolf in morning raw at night. hes only done it for three mornings and this morning he actually stopped puking. i think he may have just been getting used to it. but anyways he also has a cyst on his ass now (sweet) so i decided to take him to the vet.

we i ended up with pills for his puking which i think he doesnt need now, and antibiotics. but she said that most vets do not recomend raw. that it can cause a bunch of problems. as far as bones splintering, infection, bacteria. i told her that i freeze it and she said that freezing it does not kill the bacteria. then she said that if i was to give him meat i should cook it first, as it is healthier that way. which i dont get.

but anyways, what do you guys think about this. is my vet full of it. i dont know what to do. what i dont like is that since i started feeding his new diet he got this cyst on his ass.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm

99% of vets no NOTHING about dog nutrition - all they know is what the vet schools tell them - and the vet schools are paid by the dog food companies. like Science Diet (Crap food)

Just like most human doctors know nothing about human nutriton - the same goes for dog doctors.

Nutritionists are the ones that know about foods.

Raw is perfectly fine for a healthy dog :thumbsup:

Raw bones don't splinter like cooked ones do (Except for long bones like arm and leg bones - they can splinter) - raw meat is better than cooked meat.

The vet is full of it :)

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Time for a new vet :)

Take this opportunity to find a vet who is up-to-date on animal healthCARE as it sounds like he/she is spewing the propaganda that the Pet Food industry has pushed to maintain their market share. It is best to stay away from vets with waiting areas that look like Petco/PetFood Express/etc as those are retailers who think more about sales/sqft than health.

A little pushback from your vet is good, the "You're killing your dog." attitude is BS. Look for a vet that wants to work with you, asks lots of questions regarding what Raw means to you, and asks for a printed weekly or monthly menu that they can study. They should be educated enough to be able to look at your menu and determine if you need to tweek your feeding strategy or add oil/bone/etc.

If you join a raw feeders group, you'll be able to find a vet in your area who supports Raw strategies for better health.

That being said, I'd go back to kibble to see if it stops, or fast for a day and go 100%raw.

Your dog may be over excited with the raw meals and therefore puking after scarfing it down too fast. Going 100% Raw removes the intensity after a couple of days, esp if each of the meals are similar w/r/t meat type (stick to one meat type - chicken thighs, for example).

Marie

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm

To echo what KeelazMom said, most vets don't know much about nutrition. It is covered minimally during their schooling so most know only what they've been picked up here and there. Also realize that most veterinarians sell food at their practice. It just makes good business sense to promote something that is going to increase your bottom line.

That said, raw diets are not the be all, end all. While many dogs do wonderfully on them, others do not. My dog cannot tolerate raw at all.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:19 pm

I would look for holistic vets, if you have any nearby.

My vet practices both western and eastern medicine and fully supports a raw diet. She has been very helpful when my older dog has had digestive problems.

If you can't find a holistic vet, be prepared for negative responses from veterinarians. Veterinary students do not go through extensive education regarding nutrition. And even when they do, I know a DVM, PhD nutritionist professor who feeds his dogs Ol Roy...and thinks it's perfectly fine!

jammin636
Newborn Bully

Postby jammin636 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm

thats funny cause they sell science diet there and she suggested that i buy some.

he didnt puke today which makes me thinks he getting over it but if i did go 100% raw how do i know he getting all the correct nutrients? ive been feeding him a cup of timberwlf in the morning and then one chicken drubstick at night. i cut off the meat and cut the bone in half for him.

also do any of you guys know anything about cysts or why he might get one all the sudden. hes 3 and has never had one.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 pm

jammin, alot of vets get paid to sell science diet. my vet didnt want me going on raw a few years ago, but he has since changed his mind..

jammin636
Newborn Bully

Postby jammin636 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm

yea i think im switchin vets

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:01 pm

[quote="jammin636"]thats funny cause they sell science diet there and she suggested that i buy some.[quote]

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! Run away...fast.

1. Have you read the BARF 101 thread?
2. Have you purchased any books regarding RAW/BARF? You'll need to educate yourself to do this right.
3. Have you joined RAWPAWS on yahoo!groups? (Or a similar group.)
4. Do you have a good meat supplier?

Raw/BARF is not for everyone as it takes time to educate yourself and to form a strong network of people who will help you be successful.

It doesn't sound like you've totally worked through the self-education process...for instance WHY would you cut the bone in half? Raw is raw...let him eat the way a wolf would. This could be part of your problem.

Marie

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 pm

If my dog started puking on ANY kibble the day I started feeding it... I would be concerned... why is it ok for raw???

Cooking it IS technically healthier, its just time consuming too.

jammin636
Newborn Bully

Postby jammin636 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:43 pm

EL_EmDubya wrote:
jammin636 wrote:thats funny cause they sell science diet there and she suggested that i buy some.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! Run away...fast.

1. Have you read the BARF 101 thread?
2. Have you purchased any books regarding RAW/BARF? You'll need to educate yourself to do this right.
3. Have you joined RAWPAWS on yahoo!groups? (Or a similar group.)
4. Do you have a good meat supplier?

Raw/BARF is not for everyone as it takes time to educate yourself and to form a strong network of people who will help you be successful.

It doesn't sound like you've totally worked through the self-education process...for instance WHY would you cut the bone in half? Raw is raw...let him eat the way a wolf would. This could be part of your problem.

Marie

is raw really that complicated. i figured i could find or ask someone what their feedings are? and base mine off of that. i hate readding through huge threads. ill look at barf 101 again. i havent really gone all out into it. do you know of any good books. i rather read a book.

and he wasnt really throwing up, atleast the way i think of it. he was only throwing up about a teaspoon amount. mostly liquid couple tiny bones

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 pm

If you vomited every time you ate mexican food, would you still eat it?? Come on people, use some common sense!

Yes, raw is an excellent diet when done properly, but if you aren't willing to do the work, then don't do it!! Being a copycat isn't going to cut it...

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:If you vomited every time you ate mexican food, would you still eat it?? Come on people, use some common sense!

Yes, raw is an excellent diet when done properly, but if you aren't willing to do the work, then don't do it!! Being a copycat isn't going to cut it...

its why i didnt go raw i just give raw meaty bones as treats when i find them

jammin636
Newborn Bully

Postby jammin636 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:If you vomited every time you ate mexican food, would you still eat it?? Come on people, use some common sense!

relaaaxxxxx. why do u think i started this thread? im trying to figure this out.
i just asked imariew if she new a good book i can get. ive read the barf 101. i know what ingredients are good and bad. i just dont wanna jump right in.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:14 pm

In all fairness though, there is a difference between vomiting because the dog is actually ill and brining up bile in the morning because the dog is adjusting to a food which digests a whole lot faster than kibble, no?

I agree that you should probably spend some time doing research into feeding raw before switching over completely though, especially if you have a less than understanding vet you'll need to be armed with plenty of info that you have confidence in.

Return to “Health Issues”