My dogs are eating dirt/mud/sand!!??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Every dog eats a little sand here and there. If they are going out of their way to eat sand, they either have a bad habit, or maybe deficient in some nutrient. I'd talk to the vet.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:27 pm

there must be something in the BC soil!
my girl maggie eats dirt. but she's done that since the day i got her.
i just thought she was a bit, umm.. "special" lol

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Oh dirt eating dogs, gotta love em! Frustrating but gotta love em! I have three. They go at it like it won't be there when they go back out. We have to wipe muddy clumpy paws and clean dirt filled lips and teeth every single time they go out.

Mine really like to dig to try and get to the tree roots.

My poor yard. lol

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 pm

Sounds like yall' got some good dirt up there lol

KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Like someone else mentioned, they do eat some sand from time to time. However, I would be a little concerned if my dog were eating sand. I know when horses ingest too much sand it can cause colic, so I would be kind of concerned about that happening to my dog. Maybe someone more knowledgable can chime in on this. I have to admit, I've never heard of a dog getting colic, maybe it's not all that common.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Horses colic because they don't have the ability to vomit, tummy upsets can literally kill them...

I would try not to let them eat too much sand, in case it did clump up and cause a blockage... but my two eat dirt here too, mostly around tree stumps to find buried 'sticks' (roots).... Marley's smile full of clods of mud, grit and grass is disgusting lol

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:43 pm

sometimes I catch Oreo liking dirt...and he will pull up a little in his mouth...when we go to the beach he does eat sand too much but he likes to shove his nose in the sand...ha.ha...

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:59 pm

My dogs eat dirt -- mostly in the Spring.....I think it just must smell good after the winter and is full of little growing things that must be somewhat attractive. They will also go for the tiny little new roots they find in the dirt they dig up.

I see it so often and so regularly that there must be something they are getting or that just tastes really good. I've never had any harm come from it.

Carla

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 am

I wouldn't worry unless they are eating a lot of it, enough to cause them to have chronic stomach upset or get bacterial infections. All of my dogs eat a little bit of dirt, and only one of them has issues b/c of it. But Ardy has compromised health to begin with.

Return to “Health Issues”