BONES....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

BONES....

Postby bassol808 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:28 pm

sorry...I searched the forums to see if there is a thread about this but didnt find anything...

anyways, what kinds or bones are good....Ive heard that some type of bones arent good because its soft and have a better chance of getting stuck in their throats or causing internal problems because of the shards....

I know chicken bones are a no no.....

but I wanted to know whether pork or beef...and also if certains bones too...so far I like the rib bones because Oreo takes longer to eat em than any other ones..

but I need some advice as to what over bones are no nos and which ones are best...

thanks

JulieC
Adolescent Bully

Postby JulieC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Uncooked bones are better because they don't splinter.

"Long bones" splinter whether cooked or not, so steer clear of those.

Chicken bones are usually okay as long as they are uncooked. In fact, many raw feeders feed chicken with no problems.

There is a start for you. There are many more knowledeable people here that can answer this question more thoroughly than I, so hang on!

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:40 pm

thanks...I thought cooked was better...*lol* good thing I asked

granitebull
Adolescent Bully

Postby granitebull » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:37 am

Chicken is good as long as you don't cook it. In general, do not cook bones.

Our 7 month old puppy has eaten lots of (raw) chicken bones so far with no problem. He also gets ox tails and he works a lot on the wider part but manages to chew it up.

Long marrow bones that are cut in half alongside the bone are dangerous because they can break teeth. As the dog bites down on them, the ends of the U shaped cross section can break off teeth.

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Good question!! What about if you lightly boil beef bones? I am always at the organic gorcers/farm markets around here, and I bought my guys some organic soup bones, but they......um...caused major "issues" for all three of my guys. Could that have been because they aren't used to raw bones, or do raw bones have little germies in them that cause the poopsplosions?

Good question, Bassol808!! I should have thought to ask the same thing when the bone incident happened at my house!! lol

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:40 pm

marrow which is in raw bones is VERY RICH, so if you let the dogs eat all the marrow out of the middle of the beef raw bones that is why they had the explosions.. i normally scoop out as much marrow as possible and toss the marrow before i give mine the bones.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:19 pm

If you have food bolters like mine, I stopped feeding chicken thighs w/bones in them, because Xanny was just crunching the bone a couple times and then swallow. I know she was swallowing big pointy chunks of bone.
I do knucklebones, as I was seeing tooth wear with marrowbones. I do regulate how long they have the bones for, because they will consume enough to make themselves sick.

OrsonDogge
Newborn Bully

Postby OrsonDogge » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:41 pm

f you have food bolters like mine, I stopped feeding chicken thighs w/bones in them, because Xanny was just crunching the bone a couple times and then swallow.

Dogs do not have flat molars that grind the food.
Some will chew food only to the point where it is small enough for them to swallow and not necessarily more.
Their digestive system is designed to digest bigger chunks of food then ours.
Keep an eye on your pet when dealing with midsize bones,
they don't always estimate their swallowing capacity correctly and they may seem to choke and then regurgitate for a second try at chewing the same piece. The best way to "teach" chewing properly is to always give RMBs that are a size too big.
Sounds like chicken thighs are just too small for you pupper, try chicken quarters or even half a chicken.
:thumbsup:

ssandiegoBOLTS
Newborn Bully

Postby ssandiegoBOLTS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:48 pm

what about rawhide bones???? and what are good trianing treats to uuse that are actually good instead of just smelling good like bacon haha :))

OrsonDogge
Newborn Bully

Postby OrsonDogge » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:16 pm

LOTS dont give rawhide due to the fact it doesnt digest easily and can cause a blockage. I give bully sticks.
For treats.... i dont give treats (im a mean mommy :tongue: ) but for training i use freeze dried liver.

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Leslie H wrote:If you have food bolters like mine, I stopped feeding chicken thighs w/bones in them, because Xanny was just crunching the bone a couple times and then swallow. I know she was swallowing big pointy chunks of bone.
I do knucklebones, as I was seeing tooth wear with marrowbones. I do regulate how long they have the bones for, because they will consume enough to make themselves sick.

Oreo is a bolter....one time he got a rib bone and he just crunched it up in a few seconds....next thing you know hes coughing and a piece of bone about 1 1/2 inch comes flying out.....then he goes and eats it again...I was like "Oreo, you crazy boy, be careful and chew it good!" I always monitor him when he eats bones....

bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bassol808 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:37 pm

so chicken bones are actually safe then?? I was always told to never give chicken bones....

hmm...I think Oreo would LOVE to have half a chicken....

okay, so now I know to get him whole or half carcas of chicken...but DONT cook it...

and probably go and get him some oxtails...Im sure he would like that...

so...basically raw bones are better than cooked ones....chicken bones are okay, as long as its raw and bigger pieces (no drumsticks or wings) and try to stay away from marrow bones...correct??

Papa of Capone
Newborn Bully

Postby Papa of Capone » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:14 am

I feed Capone Beef/Hamburger, Chicken & Turkey.
Once I find a good butcher I'll expand to other meats.

Half a Turkey or Chicken will be good for a day and a half.
As for the beef/hamburger, he gets fed a half pound at 8am and a half pound at 8pm. Its been working out really good.

Papa of Capone
Newborn Bully

Postby Papa of Capone » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:16 am

Papa of Capone wrote:I feed Capone Beef/Hamburger, Chicken & Turkey.
Once I find a good butcher I'll expand to other meats.

Half a Turkey or Chicken will be good for a day and a half.
As for the beef/hamburger, he gets fed a half pound at 8am and a half pound at 8pm. Its been working out really good and he does quite well with all the bones.

Its what nature intended on him to eat.
:thumbsup:

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:10 pm

At this point, the only bones I give my dogs are raw chicken necks, backs, or wing tips. Both my dogs have had rear molar slab fractures where a piece of their tooth breaks off, from chewing beef knuckle bones. Could be that the bones dried out over the day they had them to chew, but in any event, no more beef bones will be given around here!

I've found that the chicken necks do a pretty good job of removing tarter from teeth without causing any damage, even though they get eaten fast and don't provide any real chewing time. Still, its a lot better than broken teeth.

Return to “Health Issues”