The best dog food money can buy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:35 pm

3 star review of Life's Abundance dog food from dogfoodanalysis.com

Pros: First ingredient is a named meat product.
Cons: Insufficient meat content, use of controversial fillers.

The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product in meal form. There is a further meat product, fish meal, 10th on the ingredient list, but this is too far down to make up a substantive portion of the food. We note that while the manufacturers states that they do not add any chemical preservatives to the food, they do not specifically state the use of Ethoxyquin-free fish sources (ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal, and is believed to be carcinogenic). With only one real meat source, we cannot have confidence that there is an adequate amount of meat in this food.

Brown rice is a good quality grain, but potato product is filler. We are also concerned to see chicken fat as the fourth ingredient in the food. Research at Purdue University has shown a fat in the top four ingredients of dry dog food to be a factor that increases the risk of bloat in large breed dogs. Smaller breeds are untested.

Beet pulp is further filler and a controversial ingredient – it is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

We appreciate the inclusion of some amount of vegetable matter in the food, and a good range of probiotics. We would prefer to see the use of whole eggs rather than egg product in this food.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm

TwoPitHouse wrote:Geez, we tried all kinds of premium brands, and have now settled on good old Kirkland brand for the past 8 months or so.
And now we hear from everyone including our vet, what amazing coats our dogs have and how muscular and healthy they look. I was quite surprised at the nutritionals in the Kirkland for the price, IMO all around best food for your buck :thumbsup:
We also have two 7 week old pups and they are doing great on the kirkland puppy with a little warm water and sometimes wet food mixed in as well. They were on wet/dry food since about 4 weeks old at the shelter.

x2 for Kirkland. All our dogs look great and have great poops.
We feed it to our personal dogs AND fosters.
It's amazing how you slap a huge price tag on food, and people think it's terrific.
Conversely, if you sell it cheap, it "must not be" good! :dunno:
But Kirkland rocks!

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:23 pm

I love Timberwolf and my dogs do too. They love it and do great on it. I change up the flavor each bag.

robc
Adolescent Bully

Postby robc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 am

looks like Timberwolf is pretty good stuff....I am rely concidering it....what is raw...I keep hearing about this....anybody have personal experience with this.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:45 am

Timberwolf has claimed to have ingredients in their food that they do not have and those they claim are not in their food that are. This comes directly from "the Food Guru" herself. ;)

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:03 am

Raw is BARF - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food or Bones And Raw Food

It's easy once you're used to it, but I'm not sure I'd want my puppy to be my test subject - a grown dog can deal with a slight imbalance of nutrients while I'm learning, but a pup really needs to get everything right.

That said, the whole point of BARF is what they would get if nature had its way, how they would eat if they were still wild, and there are no PuppyChow versions of the prey they would catch - a wild pup just eats more. So in theory, there's nothing wrong with raw for a babe.

But read the stitckies about Raw or BARF (there are a few, I think) and that should answer your questions about that.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:11 am

I just wanted to add that BARF is a TYPE of raw diet.
Not all "Raw" is BARF. :thumbsup:

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 am

"Raw" as in "not cooked." What dogs used to eat, before people started feeding them canned food and kibbles...
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18048&start=0

Some folks seem to think that raw food diets for dogs are bad, because of parasites / germs. So, many people feeding a raw diet freeze their meat for months to kill off pathogens. I've read opposing statements about whether this works or not. Also, the expense may be a problem for some people, I think.

From what people have posted on this forum, some dogs do quite well with a raw food diet. Other dogs, not so much. Though there are general guidelines, It seems to be a trial-and-error kind of thing. I'm seriously considering trying Rufus on a raw diet (if I ever stop posting long enough to actually learn more about it...)

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:14 am

This what im looking into

DogLovers Gold Analysis

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude protein min. 25.00% Calcium min. 1.30 %
Crude fat min. 16.00% Phosphorus min. 1.00 %
Crude fiber max. 4.50% Copper min. 20 mg/kg
Crude ash max. 7.50% Vitamin A min. 20.000 lU/kg
Moisture max 10.00% Vitamin D min. 2.000 IU/kg
Omega-6 fatty acid min 3.10 % Vitamin C min. 50 mg/kg
Omega-3 fatty acid min 0.60% Vitamin E min. 200 IU/kg

NO Corn, Wheat, Soy or other fillers

Ingredients:
Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbic acid and Rosemary), Flaxseed, Whole Dried Eggs, Chicken Liver Meal, Herring Fish Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Garlic, Lecithin.

Vitamins, Chelated Minerals, Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes:
Rosemary, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Inulin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, FolicAcid, d-Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Freeze Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation, Bacillus Subtilis, Mixed Tocopherols, Silica Dioxide, Freeze Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Beta Carotene, Yucca Schidigera

Formulated to exceed the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages

http://www.dogloversgold.com/

http://www.dogtownco.com/site/catalog/p ... /catid/188
33lb bag for 34.99[/b]

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 pm

u-turn wrote:This what im looking into

DogLovers Gold Analysis

I feed the Dog Lover's Gold. I've been very happy with it.

robc
Adolescent Bully

Postby robc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:59 pm

u-turn wrote:This what im looking into

DogLovers Gold Analysis

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude protein min. 25.00% Calcium min. 1.30 %
Crude fat min. 16.00% Phosphorus min. 1.00 %
Crude fiber max. 4.50% Copper min. 20 mg/kg
Crude ash max. 7.50% Vitamin A min. 20.000 lU/kg
Moisture max 10.00% Vitamin D min. 2.000 IU/kg
Omega-6 fatty acid min 3.10 % Vitamin C min. 50 mg/kg
Omega-3 fatty acid min 0.60% Vitamin E min. 200 IU/kg

NO Corn, Wheat, Soy or other fillers

Ingredients:
Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbic acid and Rosemary), Flaxseed, Whole Dried Eggs, Chicken Liver Meal, Herring Fish Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Garlic, Lecithin.

Vitamins, Chelated Minerals, Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes:
Rosemary, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Inulin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, FolicAcid, d-Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Freeze Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation, Bacillus Subtilis, Mixed Tocopherols, Silica Dioxide, Freeze Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Beta Carotene, Yucca Schidigera

Formulated to exceed the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages

http://www.dogloversgold.com/

http://www.dogtownco.com/site/catalog/p ... /catid/188
33lb bag for 34.99[/b]
This looks amazing....when should I switch my puppy to this....I don't want to mess up his digestive system.....he has been on nutrisource for almost 2wks.....thanks for this great information......rob

robc
Adolescent Bully

Postby robc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:03 pm

wegobad wrote:"Raw" as in "not cooked." What dogs used to eat, before people started feeding them canned food and kibbles...
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18048&start=0

Some folks seem to think that raw food diets for dogs are bad, because of parasites / germs. So, many people feeding a raw diet freeze their meat for months to kill off pathogens. I've read opposing statements about whether this works or not. Also, the expense may be a problem for some people, I think.

From what people have posted on this forum, some dogs do quite well with a raw food diet. Other dogs, not so much. Though there are general guidelines, It seems to be a trial-and-error kind of thing. I'm seriously considering trying Rufus on a raw diet (if I ever stop posting long enough to actually learn more about it...)
Oh, I see (Ithought it was a brand of food).... lol ....I feel stupid....yeah I think I will stay clear of that until maybe he is a adult...and thats a maybe.....thanks for clearing that up......rob

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm

It looks like a middle of the road food to me.

granitebull
Adolescent Bully

Postby granitebull » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:21 am

Murfins wrote:Timberwolf has claimed to have ingredients in their food that they do not have and those they claim are not in their food that are. This comes directly from "the Food Guru" herself. ;)

What I read was from an actual Timberwolf employee and she said that they changed their formulation a long time ago but they still had half a million old bags. So they decided to use the old bags with the new formula.

I cannot blame them either, would rather not pay for half a million extra bags as customer :)

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:19 am

Sarah wrote:
KeelazMom wrote:If he's got teeth, he doesn't need to be nursing - Momma dog would NOT allow puppy teeth on her nipples lol *Talk about painful*

Well, that's not entirely true, it depends on the bitch, and the size of the litter. Tully nursed Tess for nearly 8 weeks, and would have gone longer but I forcibly weaned at that point. (Tess was being fed soaked kibble, but was nursing too) Believe me, Tess had teeth, my feet knew all about them!

The OP's pup doesn't need to be nursing, though.

yup sierras pups were eating kibble at 5 weeks and still nursing , i cut them off at 6 weeks but they were not completely taken off ( i had to seperate her from them ) until 7 weeks . she was not weaning them at all and they all had teeth

Return to “Health Issues”