Could this make my pup sick?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Could this make my pup sick?

Postby SadiesMom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:43 am

This is a gross topic. Maybe to descriptive for some lol but I really need to know if it's common and/or ok to happen. It involves poop and my dog ....consuming it. :crybaby:

First thing to know that is important before I ask my question is this:
My baby Sadie has a nerve disorder that prevents her from knowing when it is time to pee or poop. She can not feel when it is happening nor does her sphincter or urinary tract have the strength to really hold anything in. She even does both when she is sleeping sometimes.

MY QUESTION: We have to leave Sadie at home alone for a total of about 3-4 hours a day and of course at night when it is bed time. When we wake up or come home at night from work there isn't really ever any 'poop' to be found. She has been eating it. I have seen her do it if I don't run over and get to it in time when I am home. We were doing diapers with her but she developed a diaper rash and has a UTI so the diapers are not an option for any extensive length of time unless we are riding in the car or out visiting friends/vets. We don't mind cleaning it up since we have hard wood floors and she knows she is only aloud on on couch that always has a clean sheet or towel on it, so we are defintely accepting and prepared with her issue.
I have spoken to some people about this problem of her eating her stool and lapping her urine up and some have asked if she might be hungry. I know this is not the case, I feed her every morning and night and have consulted my Vet to make sure she is being fed an efficient amount for a growing pup. She is.
I am concerned as to weather this is an extreme potential health issue or not for her. She seems fine, but it is also pretty nasty because I would love for her to be able to give me kisses but BLAH she needs to break this habit anyway. I simply want to know if despite the nastiness of this, will it really harm her. I know that would be TERRIBLE for a human to do (sorry for the disgusting thought I just put in your mind lol) but I know a lot of dogs do this on occasion and are fine....it's just more frequent for Sadie so I am not sure if thats good or not. She also does this with the cats stuff too whenever we are busy and not looking!!!
Long question short: Is this really bad for her health? How can I stop this?

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:54 pm

You can get supplements to make her poop unattractive to her, and if you Google coprophagia you can find lots of information on managing it. http://www.marlischis.com/coprophagia.htm was interesting to read. Good luck!

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:50 pm

chances are she is doing it because she is trying to be clean . i dont think it will make her sick , i havent heard of lapping urine but i know if eating poop .

ace will do it if he has an accident in his cage but not if hes outside, hes keeping his den clean :yucky:

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:58 pm

littleCloClo wrote:You can get supplements to make her poop unattractive to her, and if you Google coprophagia you can find lots of information on managing it. http://www.marlischis.com/coprophagia.htm was interesting to read. Good luck!

Thank you so much!!!! That article is VERY helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to find that for me! :bowdown:

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:59 pm

kristakmj wrote:chances are she is doing it because she is trying to be clean . i dont think it will make her sick , i havent heard of lapping urine but i know if eating poop .

ace will do it if he has an accident in his cage but not if hes outside, hes keeping his den clean :yucky:

The only reason I was worried is because she poops a tad more frequently than other doggies because she can't really hold it. Good to know my pup isn't the only little nasty bugger that has this habit lol Thank you very much for your help!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:13 pm

Jake had this problem for a short while and I was repulsed by it! After reading the posts on this forum I realized it is a normal behaviour. Fortunately, Jake stopped doing this a long time ago. I believe he did it to hide the fact he pooped in his crate and the 1 time he pooped in the house and he ate it to leave no evidence. lol

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:21 pm

I just wanted to add that I think you guys are very special people to care for and love Sadie despite her issues. Most people could not handle that and would get rid of her. You guys deserve a big hug for taking care of Sadie despite her special needs.

It warms my heart when I hear about people who go out of their way for a special needs animal.

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Jake had this problem for a short while and I was repulsed by it! After reading the posts on this forum I realized it is a normal behaviour. Fortunately, Jake stopped doing this a long time ago. I believe he did it to hide the fact he pooped in his crate and the 1 time he pooped in the house and he ate it to leave no evidence. lol

It definitely is pretty gross but I give her dentibones sometimes so I know her mouth is realtively clean, plus I have heard now that dogs have a specific sort of enzyme in their mouth that makes their mouths a lot more sanitary than most animals! So it's not so bad for now....I do hope she can grow out of the icky habit though!!!
It's sad because I think Sadie does ot to hide her accidents to.....I know she can't help her problem but she REALLY looks dissappointed in herself when she does it. So sad. I wish she could understand that I don't mind cleaning it up myself! Poor pup!!!!

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Lanolar wrote:I just wanted to add that I think you guys are very special people to care for and love Sadie despite her issues. Most people could not handle that and would get rid of her. You guys deserve a big hug for taking care of Sadie despite her special needs.

It warms my heart when I hear about people who go out of their way for a special needs animal.

Sadie is an absolute godsend. I really think it is fate that we found her. I actually work with special needs children (autism MR, apsergers ect.) so I have that experience and understanding for those with disabilities. Plus when I was younger I always said I was going to "be a vetranarian when I get big" lol I believe she is in my hands for a reason. I am so happy to have her in my life, I will do everything in my power to make her as happy as she has made me! Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 pm

SadiesMom wrote:It's sad because I think Sadie does ot to hide her accidents to.....I know she can't help her problem but she REALLY looks dissappointed in herself when she does it. So sad. I wish she could understand that I don't mind cleaning it up myself! Poor pup!!!!

Well, add me to the list of people with poop eating dogs. lol

When Streets' colitis was really bad, back in the early days, he had a really hard time holding his poop. Many, many times I would get home and he would have gone right near the door and then tried to lick it all up. I'm pretty convinced that, as you mentioned, it was an attempt at cleaning it up, because he never tried to eat feces in any other circumstance.

I wish I had some better ideas for you, but I wanted to add that I think it's really awesome that you're willing to work with this pups issues. She's lucky to have found you.

Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:56 pm

freeze some pineapple juice in ice cube trays and put a couple in her water dish every day. she should stop eating her poo

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:00 pm

pitgrrl wrote:
SadiesMom wrote:It's sad because I think Sadie does ot to hide her accidents to.....I know she can't help her problem but she REALLY looks dissappointed in herself when she does it. So sad. I wish she could understand that I don't mind cleaning it up myself! Poor pup!!!!

Well, add me to the list of people with poop eating dogs. lol

When Streets' colitis was really bad, back in the early days, he had a really hard time holding his poop. Many, many times I would get home and he would have gone right near the door and then tried to lick it all up. I'm pretty convinced that, as you mentioned, it was an attempt at cleaning it up, because he never tried to eat feces in any other circumstance.

I wish I had some better ideas for you, but I wanted to add that I think it's really awesome that you're willing to work with this pups issues. She's lucky to have found you.

Thank you very much. Both Sadie and I are lucky to have found eachother. In one month she has taught me more than I have learned in 21 years. Many valuable things in such short time, the importance of patience, the feeling of hope and how to recognize UNCONDITIONAL love (not to mention love at first sight!) She is a wonderful gift to my life. I intend to take good care of my special gift!

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Lmporter03 wrote:freeze some pineapple juice in ice cube trays and put a couple in her water dish every day. she should stop eating her poo

I will try this....what exactly does this do? Also, do you know if it is ok to do while she has a UTI??

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Pineapple makes their poop taste "odd" to them. It works for some dogs, not so well for others. You can also feed her actual pineapple chunks or slices if she likes it. A few chunks per meal is enough. It would have no effect on a UTI.

SadiesMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SadiesMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Lanolar wrote:Pineapple makes their poop taste "odd" to them. It works for some dogs, not so well for others. You can also feed her actual pineapple chunks or slices if she likes it. A few chunks per meal is enough. It would have no effect on a UTI.

Well thank you for the help!! I am definitely willing to try this out! I'll let you know how it goes!!! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”