New Merrick formulas: "Before Grain"

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:19 pm

I just saw this at the feed store where I buy my canned dog & cat food.
Since I haven't been feeding kibble and have a five month old bag of NV I need to give them, I didn't buy a little bag of the kibble to try, but I did get several cans of the wet food.
I think this would be a great food for dogs with sensitive stomachs...the ingredients are meat & water for processing, NOTHING else. The only formula I passed on trying was the salmon was because I buy canned salmon cheaper at the market lol

NEWYORKNORA
Matured Bully

Postby NEWYORKNORA » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 pm

We switched Nora to Before Grain Buffalo about 2 weeks ago and she's doing GREAT on it. We have been forced to order Nature's Logic for her, since it was the only food she responded to in a good way ( Due to allergies) but we've decided to give BG a shot and the transition was smooth and Nora looooves it. She cts like we have been starving her for the past year or something haha.

We are very happy with it! :)

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:02 pm

so...would this food be recommended for allergie dogs?

NEWYORKNORA
Matured Bully

Postby NEWYORKNORA » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 pm

I would say yes. Nora is allergic to Lamb and tends to have a VERY sensitive stomach and this food (and Nature's Logic Venison) were the only two dry foods that didn't cause diarrhea.

We also used to feed raw in the morning (and kibble at night )for a while.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Monsta wrote:so...would this food be recommended for allergie dogs?

Yup, Rory used to have a small bit of allergies and she has been doing so well on Merrick. Her coat has improved and it just looks os yummy. I dont worry about staples or metal because I hand mix all my dogs food so my smell gets all over it....dont laugh, its a old habit from my Dad, LOL!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:47 pm

How much does this food cost?

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Approx. $40 for a 30lbs bag. I go through two a month and typically buy two cases of variety wet food which is 10 cans for $13. Wow....ugh thanks for putting into perspective how much I spend on food alone......wow thats sucks!

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

Monsta wrote:so...would this food be recommended for allergie dogs?

Not for us.
It ALL has chicken meal in it.
:frown:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, I am disappointed in the canned food. The ingredient list should read "water, meat" because there is a LOT of water. I suppose it's good for a kibble topper, but I rarely feed kibble, and like canned for the convenience...I use it for days when we have long trials or go out of town for easy feeding. I had to feed both my dogs a whole can apiece to give them a filling meal. I won't be getting it anymore. I haven't opened the cans of tripe yet, we'll see if they are any different.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:31 pm

concreterose wrote:Well, I am disappointed in the canned food. The ingredient list should read "water, meat" because there is a LOT of water. I suppose it's good for a kibble topper, but I rarely feed kibble, and like canned for the convenience...I use it for days when we have long trials or go out of town for easy feeding. I had to feed both my dogs a whole can apiece to give them a filling meal. I won't be getting it anymore. I haven't opened the cans of tripe yet, we'll see if they are any different.

I'm scared to give Rory tripe becasue she will be a A** afterwards if I dont have it, LOL. She is a jerk like that. Primo will take whatever he gets though! I do only use the wet as a topper for variety....I almost have my Dad convinced to taste it, LOL

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:38 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:Approx. $40 for a 30lbs bag. I go through two a month and typically buy two cases of variety wet food which is 10 cans for $13. Wow....ugh thanks for putting into perspective how much I spend on food alone......wow thats sucks!

WOW! That is expensive! I guess I have to wait until I am working full-time to try it.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
chewbecca wrote:Uh, I know someone who sent me pics in September or October of a nice sized chunk of metal she found in her dog treats.

I've also personally seen nails baked in Natura biscuits that people have returned to our store. Nature's Variety has been getting kibble put in wrong bags and having VAST colour variations in the kibble which is causing stomach upsets in dogs.

There's no company who hasn't had issues of some sort.

:wow

I always felt "safe" feeding them Mother Nature's treats. :crybaby:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
chewbecca wrote:Uh, I know someone who sent me pics in September or October of a nice sized chunk of metal she found in her dog treats.

I've also personally seen nails baked in Natura biscuits that people have returned to our store. Nature's Variety has been getting kibble put in wrong bags and having VAST colour variations in the kibble which is causing stomach upsets in dogs.

There's no company who hasn't had issues of some sort.

Not just with kibble, ANY kind of food, dog and people. I've bought duck for the dogs that I found a bullet in a piece of it, and other strange looking foreign objects once or twice.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Thought I'd bump this for some prices for SF Bay Area people:

The Pet Club in Emeryville had the following

25.3 pound bags are $36.99
13 oz cans are $1.69

They have all the dry formula and 4 or 5 of the canned

For the cat folks:
11.1 pound bags are $19.99
(Chicken, Tuna and Salmon formulas)

I forgot to get prices on the cat canned.

Return to “Health Issues”