feed store food? whats good?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

feed store food? whats good?

Postby reddog » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 am

okay I was going to go to the feed store today to buy some GOOD food, but can not find the post where we was talking about food.

if anyone could tell me the types at a feed store thats good it be great.

I was thinking Diamond was one but not 100% sure.

I read a few threads and just dont see the ones were we was talking about it

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Each store sells different brands. Start here http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23039
See what the store carries, then come and do a search.
Good luck.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:58 pm

well just my luck, the local feed store has already went out of business, they sure didn't last long, but we have a trator supply place also so went there and looked but they are to high on prices. so ended up getting some from Sams Club.

its called

ALPO
made by Purina
prime cuts savory beef flavor

50 pound bag for $15.00

the lab mix and the black lab sure do like it, they eat like there is no tommorrow. the black lab(6 mo pup) will eat all hers then eats the rest of the big lab mixs if i let her LOL.

Anyone else use this food?

the only thing is maybe the food or something else but thier poop smeels really really bad. worse then my Pit bulls Daisy ever did.

I could not get the new pit/mixed to eat anything today, they feed her mash potatos and my gfs sis gave her popcorn lastnight guess she thinks dogs food is not good enough for her now.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 pm

Alpo is one of the worst foods you can buy...hence why it's so cheap.

Canidae is a good food for a good price...they have a store locator on their website.

http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

If all else fails, you can order it online and have it delivered to you.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:14 pm

L Boogie wrote:Alpo is one of the worst foods you can buy...hence why it's so cheap.

Canidae is a good food for a good price...they have a store locator on their website.

:goodpost:

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:15 pm

L Boogie wrote:Alpo is one of the worst foods you can buy...hence why it's so cheap.

What! your kidding, I thought Alpo was a top company when it came to animals.

what is so bad about it?

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm

reddog wrote:

What! your kidding, I thought Alpo was a top company when it came to animals.

what is so bad about it?

The ingredients are crap. Its pretty much that simple.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm

First 10 ingredients:
Ground yellow corn
Beef and Bone meal
Soybean meal
Beef tallow (preserved with mixed tocopherols)
Poultry by-product meal
Dried whey
Brewer's rice
Animal digest
Salt
Manganese sulfate

Does that sound healthy to you? The diet is composed primarily of corn and soybeans. The closest to meat they get is "beef and bone meal":

"AAFCO: The rendered product from beef tissues, including bone, exclusive of any added blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents, except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

A byproduct made from beef parts which are not suitable for human consumption. It can incorporate the entire cow, including the bones, but the quality cuts of meat are always removed. This is an inexpensive, low quality ingredient used to boost the protein percentage.
"

Another ingredient, beef tallow:

"AAFCO: Fat with titer above 40 degrees Celsius, obtained from the tissue of cattle in the commercial process of rendering. Also called Beef Fat.

Dogs and cats like the taste of this fat, so it is often used to make low-quality food more palatable. Beef tallow is very low in linoleic acid and much cheaper for the pet food industry to use than a good quality vegetable oil or nutritionally rich chicken fat.
"

Poultry by-product meal:

"AAFCO: Consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcasses of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines, exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

The parts used can be obtained from any slaughtered fowl, so there is no control over the quality and consistency of individual batches. Poultry byproducts are much less expensive and less digestible than chicken meat.The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones, organs etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that byproducts consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "byproduct", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "byproduct" dumpster.
"

Brewer's rice:

"AAFCO: The small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice.

A processed rice product that is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice and brown rice. Contrary to what many pet food companies want to make you believe, this is not a high quality ingredient, just much cheaper than whole grain rice."

Animal digest:

"AAFCO: A material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto.

A cooked-down broth made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on. "

Soybean meal:

"AAFCO: The product obtained by grinding the flakes which remain after removal of most of the oil from soybeans by a solvent or mechanical extraction process.

A poor quality protein filler used to boost the protein content of low quality pet foods. Has a biologic value lof ess than 50% of chicken meal. "

Salt:

"Also listed as Sodium Chloride. A colorless or white crystalline solid, chiefly sodium chloride, used extensively in ground or granulated form as a food seasoning and preservative. May also appear in ingredient list as "Iodized Salt" (iodine supplement added), "Sea Salt" (as opposed to salt mined from underground deposits) or "Sodium Chloride" (chemical expression).

While salt is a necessary mineral, it is also generally present in sufficient quantities in the ingredients pet foods include. Just like for humans, too much sodium intake is unhealthy for animals. In poor quality foods it is often used in large amounts to add flavor and make the food more interesting. "

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Sorry, quotes taken from this page:

Dog Food project- Ingredients to avoid

Another useful site on pet food analysis:

Dog food comparison charts

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 am

well, alright then, well they have lots to eat, then I can find something else, I thought this was better then that cheap dollar genral stuff everyone said to stop buying.

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:29 am

reddog wrote:well just my luck, the local feed store has already went out of business, they sure didn't last long, but we have a trator supply place also so went there and looked but they are to high on prices.

I don't remember exactly what I pay, but I do know that the prices on Diamond Dog Food at Tractor Supply are prefectly reasonable. I understand you might not be able to feed top dollar food (I know I can't) but at the very minimum I would suggest Diamond.

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:31 am

if thats the dog in the avatar he/she looks very nice to have been feed low end foods. but some dog do very well on low cost foods but with that said, you never know how many years are being shaved off its life by not getting every thing it needs in a good kibble

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 am

Almost every popular brand of dog food, tout themselves as the "best". Most anything you see advertised on tv, Alpo, Purina, Pedigree, etc. is crap.

Almost anything you can buy at a grocery store or Wal Mart is crap, Beneful, the new popular "healthy" dog food, is also crap. Maxximum Nutrition from Wal Mart, is the best "crap" on the market, and not as bad as the others.

Even more respected brands such as Science Diet, Iams, and Nutro are comparitively "crap" when compared to relatively unknown, and completely un advertised brands such as Canidae, Nature's Balance, etc.

Diamond is also a mid quality food, much better than most popular brands, but not as good as other, lesser known brands.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 am

Gatorpit wrote:Almost every popular brand of dog food, tout themselves as the "best". Most anything you see advertised on tv, Alpo, Purina, Pedigree, etc. is crap.

Almost anything you can buy at a grocery store or Wal Mart is crap, Beneful, the new popular "healthy" dog food, is also crap. Maxximum Nutrition from Wal Mart, is the best "crap" on the market, and not as bad as the others.

Even more respected brands such as Science Diet, Iams, and Nutro are comparitively "crap" when compared to relatively unknown, and completely un advertised brands such as Canidae, Nature's Balance, etc.

Diamond is also a mid quality food, much better than most popular brands, but not as good as other, lesser known brands.

well crap, I guess they are tons of people out there who feed thier dogs crap foods...

I never knew that I thought all those were great foods, I thought beneful was the best you could buy.

I do not mind paying $16 for a 40 pound bag of food, thats going to last and be good , even $20 is good.. I asked in another topic and no one told me, I thought diamond was one the good ones but didn't even see it at the trator place.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 am

If you're going to buy Diamond dog food, buy the Diamond Naturals line. The ingredients are better than their other types.

Return to “Health Issues”