feed store food? whats good?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
Michael
Super Bully
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Reddog

Try the diamond, I feed it and it ends up costing less than what the crap feeds cost,
My 2 adult dogs eat about 2 -- 2 1\4 cups per day, Back in the day before the internet changed my life I fed pedigree, I had to feed twice as much to maintain healthy weights, and I had to clean up twice as much poo, Most of it runny :yucky:

Now i have healthier dogs and no runny poo to clean up, and it costs less because you don't have to feed as much.

Peaches feed and seed has 55lb bags for 32$ and give you 7$ off every 3rd bag. do the math and that is about the same as some of the better crap foods.

User avatar
twinkie05
Newborn Bully
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Food

Postby twinkie05 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:12 pm

I don't think the number one dogs die from cancer is poor quality food. First of all, I think that we even know why our pets die from cancer is because pet owners are more aware of their dog's health and our seeking better vet care which leads to diagnostics which leads to surgeries and treatment. When you make such a broad general statement about cancer like that you need to look into what type of cancer it is and what causes that cancer. I have not once been at work and the dr say, "darn that Pedigree or Iams caused this cancerous mass or lesion. If they only would have feed it Timberwolf. Genes and other cell abnormalities are too blame like how boxers are more prone to mast cell tumors but with wide margin mass removals they go on to live long healthy lives. Yes I do agree a higher quality food than Alpo is the key to having a happy and healthy. Does it cause cancer in dogs, I don't think so.

User avatar
maverick7340
Newborn Bully
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Oklahoma City

Postby maverick7340 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks to those that talked about Diamond dog food at Tractor supply. I went there tonight and they had 40lbs. of the chicken and rice naturals for $24.99. The first ingredient is chicken. It even has an expirartion date.

Once I get rid of the "crap" I have left I'll start them on that and see if I notice any changes.

:thumbsup:

User avatar
spammie
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Mid Missouri

Postby spammie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:25 pm

maverick, the Diamond Natural line is a decent food. I used to feed it and my dogs did well on it.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby reddog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 pm

well everyone was saying the nutras max was good, i checked out petco and they have a whole line of it, all types. i think its a good price, around 20$ for like a 20 pound bag or 30 maybe I forget but if its really a lot better it be worth it, sick of cleaning up runny crap ( no pun intended)

my dogs last few days have not been going to bathroom untill like 5-6 hours after they eat. sometime not untill the night time, i don't understand thier systems, i know I go after I eat breackfast everyday

User avatar
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: Arnold, Missouri

Postby L Boogie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:32 pm

If you're talking about Nutro Max...it's awful food.

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice would be the only Nutro formula I would actually feed. I think Petco carries Blue Buffalo...never tried it but I hear it's ok.

User avatar
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Athens, GA or Charleston, SC

Postby Roxers » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:39 am

Yes, Nutro Natural Choice is better than Nutro Max. I don't think it's that much more expensive either.

User avatar
jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby jlphilli » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Do you have a Costco nearby? Their dog food brand, "Kirkland Signature," is made by the Diamond Naturals line and it is $18 for a 40lb bag and the ingredients are good.

I think this would be the best option for the OP. Nutro max, Alpo, etc are very very bad as mentioned previously.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby reddog » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:41 pm

L Boogie wrote:If you're talking about Nutro Max...it's awful food.

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice would be the only Nutro formula I would actually feed. I think Petco carries Blue Buffalo...never tried it but I hear it's ok.


WTH, I do not know how many people told me that Nutra max was the best food ever, not on here but I asked and got tons of emails that it was so good of food.

I give up. mt black lab keeps having the runs, maybe something is just wrong with her,? cause the pit is doing fine. maybe the lab needs pup food?
whats the driffrent from pup food and big dog food
?

User avatar
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Athens, GA or Charleston, SC

Postby Roxers » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:12 pm

IMO, Nutro Max is not awful food. It's definitely better than Alpo, and most other grocery store brands. But there are certainly other foods out there that are better.

The difference between puppy and adult food is basically that puppy food is more nutrient dense - more protein and fat. It also has a vitamin/mineral profile that is geared towards sustaining growth.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby reddog » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Roxers wrote:IMO, Nutro Max is not awful food. It's definitely better than Alpo, and most other grocery store brands. But there are certainly other foods out there that are better.

The difference between puppy and adult food is basically that puppy food is more nutrient dense - more protein and fat. It also has a vitamin/mineral profile that is geared towards sustaining growth.


Thanks... well I don't know, I just want a good food that one of the following places sell

petco
petsmart
k mart
wal mart
sams

I do not have a costco around nor a card to them , and all these feed stores, dont have. have a tractor supply place but there food seemed really high.

would like a 20 pound bag or more for $20 or so.

User avatar
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Athens, GA or Charleston, SC

Postby Roxers » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:13 pm

I am pretty sure you can get a 20lb bag of Nutro Natural Choice for around $20. You will find it at Petco or Petsmart. Also, I don't know if they sell Diamond at Petco or Petsmart, but it is a good food as well, and is less expensive than the Nutro. Or you could try to call your Tractor Supply and see if they have Diamond. Someone said that they usually carry it.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby reddog » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:24 pm

Roxers wrote:I am pretty sure you can get a 20lb bag of Nutro Natural Choice for around $20. You will find it at Petco or Petsmart. Also, I don't know if they sell Diamond at Petco or Petsmart, but it is a good food as well, and is less expensive than the Nutro. Or you could try to call your Tractor Supply and see if they have Diamond. Someone said that they usually carry it.


Thanks. Someone said Diamond before but others said no , I know it should not have corn in it.

So do you think the food im feeding my small pup lab is affecting her? maybe I should buy her fsome pup food? whats good for pups?

shes supposed to be about 6 mo but the guy my buddy got her from dont really know they found her in middle of no where and is only guesing but she is Small,. my last pit was 36 pounds this girl cant be over 20 pounds

skinny

User avatar
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Athens, GA or Charleston, SC

Postby Roxers » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Corn is not really as bad for dogs as a lot of people believe. (This from my nutrition professor, a vet who is board certified in animal nutrition.) Unless the dog is allergic to it, it can be a very good source of nutrients, as it is very energy-dense. The food should still be meat-based, but having corn as another major ingredient is not necessarily a bad thing.

On the lab having diarrhea... has she been to the vet? She needs to be checked for parasites. It's possible that the food isn't agreeing with her stomach, but it's also likely that she has worms, since she is still young and came from an unknown background. The pup I found (7-8 months old) had hookworms and whipworms.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Pluto

Postby reddog » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Roxers wrote:Corn is not really as bad for dogs as a lot of people believe. (This from my nutrition professor, a vet who is board certified in animal nutrition.) Unless the dog is allergic to it, it can be a very good source of nutrients, as it is very energy-dense. The food should still be meat-based, but having corn as another major ingredient is not necessarily a bad thing.

On the lab having diarrhea... has she been to the vet? She needs to be checked for parasites. It's possible that the food isn't agreeing with her stomach, but it's also likely that she has worms, since she is still young and came from an unknown background. The pup I found (7-8 months old) had hookworms and whipworms.


alright thanks, no not been to vet yet. is supposed to go in a week all the vets around here seem to stay booked up.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests