Anyone Have Pet Insurance?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Anyone Have Pet Insurance?

Postby Shay59 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:44 pm

So...I got 4 dogs speutered & micro-chipped recently. Part of the benefits from HomeAgain Microchips is a complimentary insurance policy that covers any injuries, etc that occurs while the dogs are lost.

While registering the dogs for the insurance I see where I can get additional coverage that covers accident, illness & routine maintenance care.

Does anyone here have this second type of coverage? Is it worth getting it? Here's a link to their home page.

http://www.petfirsthealthcare.com/index.asp
Click the header: Pet Insurance Plans , then Coverage & Pricing.

I'd appreciate input on this so I can decide if I should get an additional policy for anything that happens when not missing or routine care.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:12 pm

Yep, have VPI. I've had it for years even though my husband made fun of it in the beginning. It covered a good amount of:

2 bouts of cancer,
1 torn knee + surgery,
an MRI,
some tooth pulling on 3 dogs,
benign cyst removal,
foreign body obstruction,
gastric dilation,
gastroenteritis from previously mentioned FBO,
a pup who picked up a bacterial infection and landed himself in the hospital 2 x (last week) with a full set of rads, ultrasound, and a full barium series,
a couple different corneal abrasion debrides,
and aspiration pneumonia accompanied by some plant matter embedded in nasal passages and accompanying critical care at 2 separate hospitals + complete endoscopy and rhinoscopy.

It covers around 45%. We hit the $5k mark in one week... that 45% will help immensely.

I'm glad to have all my dogs with me and healthy or on their way to it. I'm glad to have VPI. The one with AP is 12.5 years old, never dropped an ounce thanks to wonderful vets. The pup dropped 7% of his weight in 3 days but gained it ALL back in a week. My girl, apparently, is quite hardy b/c she is doing JUST FINE after the eye ulcer thing healed.

:) hope that helped!

~kirstan

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:13 pm

I don't have routine health care coverage just the health insurance - which I realized you weren't asking about specifically in your mail. I don't have separate riders for additional coverage but do have the 'gold package' so whatever that means that the others don't cover.

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:47 pm

There are 3 levels of coverage on each of the plans. I could get 1 dog covered for around $25 & 3 on a family plan for around $50 for the basics. That's by the month but there are annual payments too.

The routine coverage would take care of teeth cleanings & extractions, heartworm tests & meds, vaccines, prescription flea control, etc. There are deductibles on the accidents but not the routine care. (I think) And there are yearly limits as well.

I'm thinking of getting it, but not until I learn more about it other than the testimonials on their site.

Nina06
Newborn Bully

Postby Nina06 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:07 am

we had our girl on VPI for her first two years. If I remember, it was about $30 a month. I think we may have made 2 claims in those two years and it was for little stuff only. After doing some calculation, I figured we should just put that money away in case of a emergency or accident. Last year, she managed to save $300 all by her little self. We keep joking she does a better job saving money than us. I would suggest doing some calculations yourself and then evaluate your dogs and see if you think they are troublesome or not. If they are active or constantly getting in trouble, insurance may be a good option for you. Our girl is actually really really good as far as staying out of trouble or being too active. Don't give her too much credit though, she makes up for it by not listening or obeying half the time. Starting this year, I have already upped her savings to $50 a month. Again, she's already ahead in savings lol

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:58 pm

That's a good idea. I'll check into that. I'm thinking that with the family plan & having more than one dog, the insurance may be best, since it seems that somebody always needs to see a vet.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:17 pm

i got petplan, not sure if its in the states or not though

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Well, we did the same calculation (cuz I'm an acct.) but, we'd be WAY behind when stuff crops up you don't expect. Our area has some of the most expensive vet care comparatively speaking.

Emmitt had nothing wrong until about 9.5 years old. An MRI was $1400, the knee surgery was $2000, the FBO was $4000, the GD was $1500 and the pneumonia/nasal impaction thing is, so far, $4000 for one dog in 3 years. An average of $35/month = $420 year. $420 x 12 years = $5,040. We're ahead with the insurance. It's a crapshoot. I like it. I don't often think anything will happen but when it does - it's nice to have it.

opinion of course.

~k.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I talked to my husband about insurance and he said it would be better to just put money away in a savings or something.

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:04 pm

I have insurance for Sully but do not on my older dog Skylar.
Skylar has had 2 torn cruciate ligaments and we shelled out $1200 each time. I have yet to need to use it with Sully, and hope to never use it.
But I feel good just knowing that it is there as back up in case of an emergancy.
I pay $29.50 amonth, I have a cap of $20,000 a year, no pre set limits per condition and after my $50 deductable, they pay 100%.

Hope this helps you decide which way to go.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:11 pm

cecollins wrote:I have insurance for Sully but do not on my older dog Skylar.
Skylar has had 2 torn cruciate ligaments and we shelled out $1200 each time. I have yet to need to use it with Sully, and hope to never use it.
But I feel good just knowing that it is there as back up in case of an emergancy.
I pay $29.50 amonth, I have a cap of $20,000 a year, no pre set limits per condition and after my $50 deductable, they pay 100%.

which company do you have it with?

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 pm

pblove wrote:
cecollins wrote:I have insurance for Sully but do not on my older dog Skylar.

which company do you have it with?

http://www.gopetplan.com/

Is what I use. As they ask what breed you have, I believe Pit Bull is more exspensive. My vet lists Sully as a lab mix. On his insurance papers, just recently mailed to me, he is considered a Medium Mixed breed. Rates are def. less expensive as they consider mixed breeds to not have so many genetic health problems.

queeniesmama
Newborn Bully

Postby queeniesmama » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:03 pm

The aspca has a great insurance policy and ur money goes to a good cause. And the price is way better compared to other companies in the states i dont know about canadian companies though.

Return to “Health Issues”