good shampoo for your dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:34 am

Sounds like a skin problem... has she been checked out by the vet?

For now I'd go with Bark 2 Basics Skin Remedy... it helps my girl Riddle a LOT when she's broken out in hives or losing hair (Riddle does have skin problems).

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:08 pm

Wash with an oatmeal based shampoo, and wash with luke-COOL water as heat can aggravate skin irritation. If shampoo doesn't help, there may be an underlying infection that needs to be addressed and a veterinarian may be needed.

jacobs_mom
Newborn Bully

Postby jacobs_mom » Wed May 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Does anyone have other shampoo recommendations? I searched for Bark 2 Basics Skin Remedy online and there aren't any distributors in my state. What do you think of Earth Bath and Magic Coat? (just two of the brands in my local pet store)

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed May 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Do a search on the net for Buddy Wash shampoo.

Doggiehotel
Newborn Bully

NuVET Shampoo - Tea Tree Oil

Postby Doggiehotel » Thu May 08, 2008 10:13 am

Tea Tree Oil shampoos will help
I will give you the link below..

Tea Tree oil is excellent for this type of skin... also, our NuVET Plus supplement / vitamin would help, too...

All the NuVET Products are 100% guaranteed to help...

Also, you can add pure salmon oil to your dog's diet. ONE tablespoon per day of Alaskan Pure Salmon oil.... YOU can find this in most pet stores...

NuVET Plus is not in any pet stores... Just sold by Vet offices or on-line:
Buy from the company and get a discount over what the VET would
charge you...

Best Wishes on this:
Marie of Doggie Chalet Hotel

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

Houstonsmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Houstonsmom » Thu May 08, 2008 12:24 pm

We use Buddy Wash and also Lambet Kay's fresh n clean, love em!!!

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Thu May 08, 2008 12:48 pm

If you go to www.petedge.com you can order all of the shampoos that are used at groomers, for the price the groomers pay. Most everything is concentrated, so you have to dilute it, but it lasts way longer and isn't as expensive. There's some Missing Link treats at PetSmart as well that are supposed to treat the skin problems.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Thu May 08, 2008 5:33 pm

I used to use Septiderm-V on my Dad's blue pittite. Its a medicated wash that works wonders and I really think you should look into the negative effects of tea tree for dogs. Its ok for humans but not as ok for dogs.
Also feed fish oil tablets and lots of Omega 3's to keep coat from getting dry and itchy

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri May 09, 2008 12:08 pm

I was just at the vet's with Roscoe yesterday, and the vet was saying that there was a type of mite going around that looked like dandruff. She checked Roscoe for it and he had it. She said to just keep an eye on it for now, though. You might want to get your dog checked if a different shampoo doesn't do the trick.
Another thing you might try is giving him a bath with Selsun Blue. When my boxer was a puppy, she had dandruff (this was about twelve years ago) and the vet said that the regular dog shampoo we had used was too harsh, and to give her a bath with the selsun blue every day for a week I think it was, and then switch to the milder oatmeal shampoo. It worked for her.
Jen

CATCathryn
Newborn Bully

Postby CATCathryn » Mon May 12, 2008 3:10 pm

We use Paul Mitchell's line of Doggie Shampoo's:

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/jopapetshfrc.html

We're VERY happy with everything we have used, thus far. :thumbsup:

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 pm

I used this wheat grass natural stuff, forget the name, that my mom bought, it's a green shampoo.

Lathers VERY well, seems very easy on the skin, and makes her coat very soft and shiny. I really like it.

jacobs_mom
Newborn Bully

Postby jacobs_mom » Tue May 13, 2008 10:07 am

dogs4jen wrote:I was just at the vet's with Roscoe yesterday, and the vet was saying that there was a type of mite going around that looked like dandruff. She checked Roscoe for it and he had it. She said to just keep an eye on it for now, though. You might want to get your dog checked if a different shampoo doesn't do the trick.
Another thing you might try is giving him a bath with Selsun Blue. When my boxer was a puppy, she had dandruff (this was about twelve years ago) and the vet said that the regular dog shampoo we had used was too harsh, and to give her a bath with the selsun blue every day for a week I think it was, and then switch to the milder oatmeal shampoo. It worked for her.
Jen

Did your vet mention what to do after keeping an eye out for the mite/dandruff?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:I used to use Septiderm-V on my Dad's blue pittite. Its a medicated wash that works wonders and I really think you should look into the negative effects of tea tree for dogs. Its ok for humans but not as ok for dogs.
Also feed fish oil tablets and lots of Omega 3's to keep coat from getting dry and itchy

one of the negative effects I know of is tea tree oil can cause temporary paralaysis in dogs.
what ever shampoo you do get, make sure it doesn't have any 'SLS' in it(think it is sodium laurel sulfate)it is a cancer causing agent and in a lot of people and pet soaps, shampoos

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed May 14, 2008 7:46 am

Sorry for the slow reply. She gave him a shot of pesticide and the dandruff is gone now. I was a bit worried about that too, but the dandruff is gone.
Jen

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Wed May 14, 2008 11:33 am

We use Earth Bath here...but there's a new one out by the Blue Buffalo company that's pretty awesome too.

http://bluebuff.com/products/grooming/dogs.shtml

Return to “Health Issues”