1 800 pet meds

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

1 800 pet meds

Postby zoo_mom85 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Does any one use them? How do you like it? is it true they only sell in Bulk?
I currently pay over $120 a month for some advantage. Ive heard they sell in bulk. Is any one fmailiar with them? I need to find a cheaper flea solution!

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:55 pm

I've bought from them before...just a bottle of Malaseb shampoo. They don't just sell in bulk. Their prices are kinda high for flea meds, I can get them way cheaper at the vet.

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby zoo_mom85 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:57 pm

yeah well I pay 10-12$ for a little tube of advantage once a month. X7 cats and 4 dogs and one Bunny...it gets pretty expensive! I was getting it from the feed store 10 tubes for 40$ but they quit selling it. :(

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:36 pm

I use 1800 petmeds. Their flea med prices are a tad higher. But shipping is free so your still saving money. And I dont know about bulk orders. I would call and ask them

Felonysmom
Matured Bully

Postby Felonysmom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Just a word of caution about Pet Meds and other places like them.

I work at a vet. clinic and we're not allowed to even talk to Pet Meds when they call to verify prescriptions for our clients. If our clients insist on using Pet Meds, we will write them a prescription and they can pick it up and mail/fax it in themselves. Pet Meds can be kinda shady. They get most of their meds from vet clinics (which they're not supposed to sell Pet Meds their medications, and if the drug companies find out about it, they will stop selling product to the vet at fault) so a lot of medications from Pet Meds are expired and improperly stored so they can be dangerous to your pet.

Something to consider if you're buying heartworm prevention from them is that buying medications from Pet Meds violates any guarantee from the company. The makers of Heartgard for instance, will pay for your pets treatment if your pet gets heartworms while consistantly on heartgard purchased from your vet. Novartis which makes sentinel and interceptor also has a similiar promise. They won't pay for anything though if you buy through Pet Meds or similiar sites.

We've also had 2 of our own clients in the past 3 months who have had some odd problems with Pet Meds. One client ordered a medication and when it was shipped to her, the medication box/labels/directions etc. were all in a different language. Not very fun.

Another client ordered a box of frontline, but when she opened the box, instead of the normal green frontline tubes, it contained dark blue tubes (which kinda looked like the hartz flea drops at Wal-mart) and the liquid inside smelled almost rancid.

Pet Meds and other similiar sites have just had all sorts of problems, you can google news articles on them, and at work we have a flyer that we hand out listing some articles about problems with Pet Meds as well as some of the lawsuits they've had against them and such. Pretty creepy stuff.

Personally I think that if you're going to be paying out the nose for medications for your pets...might as put some more cash with it and have a little peace of mind.

Just some food for thought. And in case you're wondering...no I'm not some rep. working for the medication companies...just a lowly vet tech who has to deal with at least one angry client per day who's had a bad experience with their online medications. I kinda know my little rant by heart now...so sorry to ramble. :thumbsup:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 pm

I've had good luck purchasing flea meds online, but that's not a company I've used.

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby zoo_mom85 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Felonysmom wrote:Just a word of caution about Pet Meds and other places like them.

I work at a vet. clinic and we're not allowed to even talk to Pet Meds when they call to verify prescriptions for our clients. If our clients insist on using Pet Meds, we will write them a prescription and they can pick it up and mail/fax it in themselves. Pet Meds can be kinda shady. They get most of their meds from vet clinics (which they're not supposed to sell Pet Meds their medications, and if the drug companies find out about it, they will stop selling product to the vet at fault) so a lot of medications from Pet Meds are expired and improperly stored so they can be dangerous to your pet.

Something to consider if you're buying heartworm prevention from them is that buying medications from Pet Meds violates any guarantee from the company. The makers of Heartgard for instance, will pay for your pets treatment if your pet gets heartworms while consistantly on heartgard purchased from your vet. Novartis which makes sentinel and interceptor also has a similiar promise. They won't pay for anything though if you buy through Pet Meds or similiar sites.

We've also had 2 of our own clients in the past 3 months who have had some odd problems with Pet Meds. One client ordered a medication and when it was shipped to her, the medication box/labels/directions etc. were all in a different language. Not very fun.

Another client ordered a box of frontline, but when she opened the box, instead of the normal green frontline tubes, it contained dark blue tubes (which kinda looked like the hartz flea drops at Wal-mart) and the liquid inside smelled almost rancid.

Pet Meds and other similiar sites have just had all sorts of problems, you can google news articles on them, and at work we have a flyer that we hand out listing some articles about problems with Pet Meds as well as some of the lawsuits they've had against them and such. Pretty creepy stuff.

Personally I think that if you're going to be paying out the nose for medications for your pets...might as put some more cash with it and have a little peace of mind.

Just some food for thought. And in case you're wondering...no I'm not some rep. working for the medication companies...just a lowly vet tech who has to deal with at least one angry client per day who's had a bad experience with their online medications. I kinda know my little rant by heart now...so sorry to ramble. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all that! See this is why I asked! I havent used em and I would love to get a bulk order of Flea medicine! that really all I need is flea medicine, the heartworm and stuff is doable cause its only like 40$ for a box that has oneyear supply times 4 dogs ok so 160 a year ... the fleas stuff on the other hand is like 160 a month!!! Thats another reason I wanna get rid of my carpet! no carpetting = no hidden eggs! I vacume like 100 times a day cause my stinking carpet is blue but I know I miss it and there are fleas!

Minders73
Matured Bully

Postby Minders73 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:36 am

I have used the following places to order flea meds etc for my gang. I have several friends that have a lot of cats / smaller dogs and they order the flea stuff for the larger dogs and break the dosages down. (Just an option and don't do it if you don't feel comfortable)

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index. ... =165_6_159

http://www.equine-mega-store.com/public ... ?syspage=1

http://canadavet.com/

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:43 am

Felonysmom wrote:Just a word of caution about Pet Meds and other places like them.

x2 this post. I'm in the same position and have seen the same issues. My clinic now will price match to the online pharmacies. We'd rather lose $ than see our patients get bad drugs.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:18 pm

What about buying them at the pet food store? Or is it best to always get it from your vet?

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Felonysmom, thanks for the info..I was entertaining buying some stuff.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Don't get flea stuff at the pet store. That over-the-counter stuff doesn't work and is really dangerous, it's killed dogs.
Jen

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:24 pm

I use biospot and have never had a problem. I'd continue to use it.
We get our things from kvvet.com or www.vetmeddirect.com if you go to vet med, please tell them A PAW UP in Prosser, WA, referred you :thumbsup:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:11 pm

dogs4jen wrote:Don't get flea stuff at the pet store. That over-the-counter stuff doesn't work and is really dangerous, it's killed dogs.
Jen

You can buy Advantage and Frontline at the pet store, and they are the same product you'd buy at the vet. They are no longer prescription medications.

Last time I bought Frontline, I bought it from this company:
http://www.vetshoponline.com/index.cfm

It's one of the Australian outfits, some of which have been caught in unethical practices, so I suppose it's a buyer beware situation. However, their customer service was good, and I have every reason to believe I received the product I ordered. (it killed fleas.)

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 am

Sorry, I meant that Hartz sort of flea stuff. Glad to hear that you can get Advantage and Frontline without a prescription. I got some Advantix from Dr. Fosters and Smith and it was less expensive than some of the other online places. I can't even imagine having to buy it for eleven animals, yikes. It's can be kind of a pain in the neck getting your meds from the vet too, like mine only orders once a month, and it's not always that easy to tell if you have enough of something for a whole month.
Jen :\

Return to “Health Issues”