Strange smell from rear area?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bamawrly
Super Bully

Strange smell from rear area?

Postby bamawrly » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Ok, I'm gonna try to state this all as carefully as I can. Has anyone's female dog ever emitted a funky smell from their crotch area?
Layla once in a while (once every month or so) will out of nowhere have a strange fishy smell for a day or two. It will be on the blanket where she sleeps and stink up the whole room. I'll have to wash her and the blanket to rid the smell. After that it will be fine. If I have the stomach to investigate, there will be a clear quarter size dried spot on the blanket and no discharge from her that I can see.
Anybody else ever experience this or may have an idea what it can be?

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Could it be anal glands?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 pm

sounds like anal glands to me...

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:02 pm

No I'm pretty sure it is not from her bottom, smell is centered around her vagina/urethra area.

urbanwolf
Adolescent Bully

Postby urbanwolf » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Sounds like anal glands to me too. It could be that as she drags her butt around she is getting the secretions on her crotch area. just a guess.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:06 pm

bamawrly wrote:No I'm pretty sure it is not from her bottom, smell is centered around her vagina/urethra area.

Considering that they are only inches apart, unless you have your face down there and can really tell a difference, I'm betting it's anal glands. The fishy odor describes the discharge from the glands perfectly :thumbsup:

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Definetly sounds like anal glands. Gross!

I'd suggest having a groomer or your vet express them regularly to prevent such ickiness on your furniture/carpet!

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:35 am

Cherry gets this tangy smell that fills the room anytime she licks her vagina/anus. It's disgusting! I have taken her to get her anal glands expressed because she was scooting and licking and they said both times they weren't even half full. I still haven't figured out what it is, but it's gotten better since she's been off of RAW.

Return to “Health Issues”