Weaning off puppy food.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ShocktotheSystem
Newborn Bully

Weaning off puppy food.

Postby ShocktotheSystem » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Shock is alomst a year old and I have started weaning him off his puppy food. I have been giving him about half and half for the past couple of days and he enjoys it but....he's got the chocolate and really bad gas. I guess I just want to make sure this is narmal. He act fine, not sick or anything, I just don't want to rush him. By the way I'm feeding him Natural Choice Lamb and Rice (puppy food) and Natural Choice Large Breed (adult food), I have read the large breed is good for the joints. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

TangoJr
Matured Bully

Postby TangoJr » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:40 pm

I usually do a little more gradual switch than that for a younger dog. 3/4puppy 1/4adult for 2 weeks then half and half for a week etc.
It's normal for his stomach to be a bit upset for the first few days anyway. if it keeps up after he's fully switched over, I'd have him checked out....

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:10 pm

You can try some plain yogurt to help with gas, and some plain canned pumpkin to help firm him up. Just add a spoonful of each to his meals.

Nutro isn't the worst food, but there are much better ones out there for the price. I fed Nutro since it was the best I could find here in Japan...but then I found a site that carries Canidae for cheaper than the Nutro.

Return to “Health Issues”