Do any of you feed strictly kibble?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

Do any of you feed strictly kibble?

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:39 pm

I know there are a lot of threads about quality of food, brands, etc. but how many of you feed only kibble?

I mix canned with kibble for variety but is it necessary? I am on a limited budget right now and as much as I would like to spend a good amount of money on canned food, kibble, and raw, I just can't do it right now.

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm

I do not feed strictly kibble, but my input is: yes you can. If you feel uncomfortable with kibble only,you can also add raw egg in with it, a little cottage cheese, plain yogurt and some fish oil. Not very much cost wise to add in if you are watching your budget:)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 pm

I feed just kibble... most people I know do. I mean, I do supplement with fish oil caps and some vitamin powder but I've also done just kibble for a good length of time.

If you're feeding a good food no worries. You can add a little plain yogurt to it if you want to add SOMETHING lol. It's a great pro biotic.. and buy the big tubs on sale it's cheap.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Amy, I still buy canned salmon and mix raw egg. I feel so guilty not to provide canned food though. :frown:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks Steph.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Seriously girl don't trip. I've always thought of canned food as "junk food" for dogs anyways... or a treat. I use it if I have to get a dog to eat, or to hide pills etc. but it's never been a part of their diet.

Most of the people I know that show dogs have their dogs on good kibble and a coat supplement, that's it!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Lately we've just been feeding kibble. I'll throw in a bit of canned food on occasion or an egg here & there, but mostly just kibble right now for us.
I soak it in warm water for them often. Jasmine prefers it this way (I think maybe her teeth bother her sometimes)

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:50 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:Seriously girl don't trip. I've always thought of canned food as "junk food" for dogs anyways... or a treat. I use it if I have to get a dog to eat, or to hide pills etc. but it's never been a part of their diet.

Most of the people I know that show dogs have their dogs on good kibble and a coat supplement, that's it!

Steph, thanks for posting that about the people that show dogs! I didn't know that! You are awesome! :hug:

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I feed only kibble. I don't really see the point in adding canned food, except maybe for taste. If I were you, I wouldn't feel guilty about it. As long as you're feeding a good quality food, I don't think your dog will lack anything nutritionally by leaving out the canned food (IMO).

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:11 pm

I never fed canned food in all the years I've had dogs! If you feed a good quality dry food, canned really adds nothing except taste, which may make dogs spoiled and fussy eaters when it's absent. Give your dogs some real food once in awhile, like an egg or raw chicken neck, some meat scraps from your dinner, etc. An occasional treat of some canned sardines is nice too.

Back when I was showing dogs (not pit bulls), I finished AKC championships on many while feeding only dry kibble. Not only that, but my racing dogs did fine on kibble too, believe it or not! Exercise, routine, and a stress-free life is just as important to dogs as their diet, IMO.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:25 pm

I feed kibble. The extras that I add to it are just that: extras. Oil once in a while, water and vitamins after workouts. But the bulk of their diet is just kibble. I occasionally add in some raw, but that's when I'm trying to get somebody in shape. Normal, off-season feeding is kibble.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:29 pm

I always thought most people fed kibble...

Before switching to raw, my older dog and previous dogs were all on kibble only diets. Wet food was always a treat, since it was mainly water, I never found a need to incorporate it in their diet.

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:41 pm

only kibble here....

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:41 pm

I do all kibble -- once in a while a raw egg, sardines, etc.

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:50 pm

I feel all kibble for Brody, but my wheaten is so picky we have to mix canned food in there, or he won't eat it.

Return to “Health Issues”