peeing once or twice an hour

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
duce
Newborn Bully

peeing once or twice an hour

Postby duce » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:04 am

Ok I have had problems with my pup having to pee very often. He has been to the vet several times for this ( 2 different vets). He cant go an hour witout peeing, he is trained to go outside but if im not in the room hell start to go while hes looking for me. (running while peeing) makes a bit of a mess. My last visit to the vet consisted of blood work a UA and a urine cx. The blood work (chem profile and cbc) was fine. UA was fine but she said she saw Casts so she put in a catheter to get urine for a culture. Results came back fine. Vet had me cut down on water to 7 cups a day. Still same thing. I am noticing some (very little) milky white fluid on the tip of his penis. I told the vet that and she never got back to me so I assumed its nothing but im gonna try to call her on Monday. So if its not a UTI and liver and kidneys are fine blood work is normal, could this just be how he is. Another thing is that he has been able to hold his pee overnight with no problem. Recently he can only hold it about half the night. Anyone ever use a litter box for a dog. I really really really dont want to go that route but I am sick of mopping every single day. I have a room mate here and he goes out to smoke quite a bit and brings Duce out with him every time and he pees every time but hell still make messes inside. Also if he happens to get into the basement he will go down there. Tried crating him and hell pee on himself every time

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:00 am

How old is the dog? Is he neutered?

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Don't know if this works or not, but sounds like you might be someone who would want to try it.......

http://www.wizdog.com/

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 am

I'm going through the same thing with my male. He has been to two vets and been on multiple meds but we are still struggling. It's a mystery to the vets and frustrating for us.

duce
Newborn Bully

Postby duce » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 pm

he is over 3 yrs and he is neutered

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:52 pm

My parents' 2-year-old Wheaten terrier is having this problem. He pees in the house all the time and has to go every hour. He was found to have crystals in his urine. So he is on a special diet that breaks my parents' hearts to feed him, as the ingredients are just junk. But it's supposed to help with the crystals, and also make him more thirsty so he drinks more and doesn't allow crystals to build up any more than they already do.

He, like your dog, can make it all night in his crate with no problem. It's a real head-scratcher....why then does he make puddles all over their house when not crated? He will bounce around by the back door to tell you he has to go out, and if it takes you more than seven seconds to appease him, he pees.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:35 pm

There is definitely something wrong with the dog, that amount of urination is abnormal for an adult dog. It sounds like he's drinking a lot of water, too. The vets don't have any idea?

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Psychogenic Polydypsia

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Sorry for the DP but here is a link.
http://www.justlabradors.com/articles/l ... ation.html

GodMadeDirt
Newborn Bully

Postby GodMadeDirt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:02 pm

What a tough thing to deal with!!! Well, I don't know because I feed raw and my dog doesn't drink seven cups a month, but seven a day seems excessive.

Those crystals that people are mentioning worry me a tad. Before I switched to raw, my girl would pee really dark, concentrated urine. I can only assume that stuff has the ability to crystalize.

Anyway that link from 6pak is interesting

duce
Newborn Bully

Postby duce » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:21 pm

6pak thanks for the link. Kinda gives me a little hope since the vets can not pinpoint what the problem is yet.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Your vet probably already checked for it, but there is a condition called "diabetes insipida" where they drink and pee a ton. They don't have enough of this stuff called antidiuretic, which helps retain water.
Jen

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Has your vet had you do a water deprivation test? You said they had you limit water to 7 cups a day, but are they checking the specific gravity of the urine to see if he is able to concentrate it? There are a number of endocrine problems (like diabetes insipidus) that can cause them to drink and urinate excessively. If it's psychogenic polydipsia, limiting the water should decrease the urination. If he is still urinating just as much, and not concentrating it, that indicates that something may be physiologically wrong. A water deprivation test will tell you whether your dog is capable of concentrating its urine. Diabetes insipidus patients will have normal bloodwork, but be incapable of concentrating urine.

Return to “Health Issues”