Sheba was in a fight, ear torne up.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Sheba was in a fight, ear torne up.

Postby Siberian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:34 am

Sooo, Sheba got into a fight.
That is a second fight in her life, and what would you know, it was with the same dog that led me to this forum:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=#420476

The only difference, this time the dog wasn't muzzled. She is no longer owned by my neighbor, but this time he was dogsitting her. She was playing in the garage with his other two dogs when my husband opened the door to drop off dog poop into the garbage with Sheba on the leash. It was pretty much a nose to nose situation and they went at it like a match thrown into gazoline. There wasn't even a split second. It was more like 1000 of a second....sorry, I am rumbling, it was very scary.

Anyway, this time that dog got Sheba's ear, so what we have is a through puncture (you can slide a toothpick through it) at the middle of the ear, a deep puncture at the base of the ear with a long grove where the tooth was sliding through, and a small rip in the ear at the end of that grove.

We washed it with peroxide, shaved it and slothered it with Neosporine.

She seems ok, kinda sorry looking, keeps shaking her head. She was crying yeterday when we poured peroxide on, but was ok with it today.

Now, is this a vet situation, or should we be able to handle it by ourselves, slothering it with neosporine, and then using the glue-bandage once it starts to close in?

I am also nervouse, since she likes to stand on her head, and rub her head on the doggie bed.

Does anyone have any tips?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Poor Sheba!

I actually wouldn't put neosporin, or any other goopy type thing, in a puncture wound. Once it gets in there it's hard to clean out and can actually trap bacteria.

If I felt like the wounds weren't bad enough to rush off to the vet I'd likely keep them clean with soap and water, dry, open and watch closely for any redness, swelling or puss.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 pm

oh how scary for all of you.

I've fixed up cuts/wounds the way zoe describes. You'll want to keep an eye on it for any signs of infection and keep it really clean and dry.

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Katya - that sucks! Poor Sheba girl!

I have had similar wounds on my female BC when Twizzy and her gotten into it when he was younger (adolescent bullies and bitchy BCs don't mix) anyway, what you describe is similar to what Sassy had. She shook her head quite a bit in the first few days as the pressure from the bite makes it swell in ear area and that feel's strange to.

We kept the area clean and kept a close eye on it. By the third day after, the swelling was gone and the wounds were healing well.

Please send her hugs to sweet Sheba girl!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I wish I had advice but I don't – sending many good wishes that she heals up okay! That sounded like such an awful encounter :sad:

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:34 pm

When Ginger was attacked by a boxer, he turned her ear into swiss cheese. We called the vet and they said keep it clean and watch for any signs of infection. She bleed all night but she healed nicely except where her ear is still torn. So unless you are not comfortable, I would just keep it clean and keep a close eye on her
I hope Sheba feels better soon, poor girl.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Thank you everyone for the advise and wellwishes.

She is doing better, kind of sad looking :( The ear actually heals in nicely. I stopped with neosporine, and it is dry, and looks like it is closing in rather fast. I gave her an antibiotic as a preventative just in case. She keeps shaking her head though.

The saddest thing is that our trade-mark ears are not the same. One is still standing up, but the bitten one is now semi-rose. I hope it bounces back, I would miss my gargoyle eayrs :crybaby:

Urs, do you think dock training next Saturday is out of the question?

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Oh! She also has a little bold spot right on top of her head. Looks like a fang stabbed her there. What do I do to make sure that fur grows back on it?

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Let's see how she looks in the next few days then we can decide if we should bother with class next weekend. I'm sure in a few days her hurt ear will perk right back up....

Vitamin E oil helps w/scars so I wonder if that would help in healing the skin where the patch of hair is missing on top of her head?

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:33 pm

I will try a vitamin E...

She has a bold spot on her muzzle from her early adoption days (she got out of the kennel in the boarding facility, at night). Fur never grew back there :(

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:41 pm

If you're worried about scars, NuStock is very good at making hair grow back. Give her a hug and butt scratch for me. :)

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 pm

Baha, I will :)

Holly molly, this stuff looks amazing!! http://www.nustock.com/testimonials.html

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 am

Lindsay is right, NuStock is awesome for healing scars and growing hair back. I've used it a few times with great results.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:53 am

amazing! Do you think it will grow hair back on an old scar? Like 3 year old?

ella46
Super Bully

Postby ella46 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 am

Siberian wrote:amazing! Do you think it will grow hair back on an old scar? Like 3 year old?

I wouldn't count on that, but trying wouldn't be a problem...

Return to “Health Issues”