Both the boys are getting fixed tommorow. What to expect?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Miranda
Newborn Bully

Both the boys are getting fixed tommorow. What to expect?

Postby Miranda » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Both of my boys are getting fixed tommorow! Yay! It took a few months and more than a few fights with my SO but its finnally happening.

Do you think it was a good idea to do both boys on the same day? I was thinking they would both be sleeping and not bug each other. I know im going to worry all day tommorow because I have to drop them off in the morning and then pick them up later that afternoon. I know they will be in good hands but i still worry. Is there anything I should have for afterwards? The vet will be giving them e-collars afterwards but i've heard some people say they are sometimes not needed and they just take them off. Please feel free to contribute your thoughts. I will probably need all the help and suggestions you can offer to make me feel better. Thanks..

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:21 pm

I think it's a great idea to do them both at once, then one won't want to pester the other. Some dogs tolerate e-collars very well, some don't. Some dogs bother stitches and some don't. I go on a case by case basis. If they WILL tolerate the e-collar, it's always better then risking them getting to the stitches when your back is turned (or you are sleeping!)

They will be out of it the day you bring them home, less so the next day and by day 3 they are usually back to hell on wheels :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:28 pm

I had both my boys done the same day. They went through it just fine. The vet will give you an after care sheet to follow for feeding, care, & exercise directions.

Mine had stitches inside & glue outside with no e collars. I didn't have any problems with them bothering the surgery site. Maybe the glue was the reason?

They slept most of that evening & the next day they were very mellow. The third day...well, Kingsgurl said it best. Hell on wheels.

Good luck! You'll be glad you did it. I am.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 pm

I know when Indi was neutered he was VERY whiny/crying for about two days... that can be a side effect of the anesthesia. Well, and getting your 'nads cut out.

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am

Gauge was neutered at the beginning of February. He was very whiny/crying and sleepy the night I brought him home - the next day he was back to normal. (That was fun - NOT!!!! lol )

Miranda
Newborn Bully

Postby Miranda » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 am

Oh so I just dropped them off. Now I shall spend my work day off in my mind worrying. I felt so bad leaving them. Harley screamed and yelped like i was abandoing him. I almost cried. And Jager just went on to the back. No problem.. Now I have to work or worry.. One or the other..

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Miranda wrote:Oh so I just dropped them off. Now I shall spend my work day off in my mind worrying. I felt so bad leaving them. Harley screamed and yelped like i was abandoing him. I almost cried. And Jager just went on to the back. No problem.. Now I have to work or worry.. One or the other..

Trust me.... they will be fine

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:38 pm

All of mine, 2 girls & 2 boys, went to the back like there was the biggest cookie jar in the world in there! They were very happy to see me afterward though. I felt more comfortable knowing they weren't stressed over it, but it didn't make it any easier to leave them.

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Brody was fine, he acted like nothing hapened. But he was also give painkillers for the three days after his snip-snip.

He wouldn't tolerate the e-collar. The vet tech suggsted we didn't stress him over it, just watch him very carefully.

We are wishing speedy recovery for your boys!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am

How are they?

Miranda
Newborn Bully

Postby Miranda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm

The boys are doing fine. Harley hates the e-collar but wont leave the stitches alone with it off. They were happy to see me when i picked them up and they are already acting almost like thier normal selves. Thanks for the tips and everyones concern and good thoughts! :)

Return to “Health Issues”