Allergic Reaction--I paniced

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Harleysmommy
Adolescent Bully

Allergic Reaction--I paniced

Postby Harleysmommy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 am

I am glad I don't have anything other than a 4 legged child. I SUCK at being a parent!!! :frown:
When Harley is REALLY good, and he has been, he gets a special reward, which is 1 tablespoon of wet food mixed into his kibble. I thought that was a great reward, because he doesn't get it often and he really has to be a good boy...

Finances were tight and instead of thinking (I hate myself for this) I stopped by the dollar store and got the $.50 cans of food, chicken to be exact. He was great on Saturday--so he got his "special" treat. Turns out there was something in that FOOD that caused him to have welts all over him. His eye swelled, he looked miserable. I was hysterical. I called my rescue, she worried about me calming down so I could give him a benedryl. I finally did. I wasn't sure of the expiration date on the meds. so I waited a full hour, ran to the store, got fresh benedryl and gave him one. I cried and held him all night. :crybaby:

He had a restless night and got up around 12:30am and threw up, which I was fine with...the welts were gone by that point. I have contacted the company, I am waiting to see if they wil get back to me. I seriously doubt it. I feel like a REALLY BAD DOG MOM for doing that to him.

He is fine now and boy was he hungry Sunday....WOW, I couldn't do that and kids...

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:50 am

i went outside one day and my dog had welps all over her and her face was swelling shut. By the time I rushed her to the hospital, her eyes were almost swelled shut and was having a hard time breathing. We never figured out what it was, maybe a bee sting or somthing. Its the scariest thing you will ever see, especially when they look you in the eye for help.

Harleysmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Harleysmommy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:54 am

EXACTLY!!!!! The benedryl helped. I think it 100%

I keep benedryl in the house at all times....

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:29 am

Regular human Benadryll? If so they make those quick dissolve strips. They work real quick on me. I Dunno if there is somthing that dogs might be allergetic to or not

Harleysmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Harleysmommy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:35 am

Yeppers regular 25 mil. of the little pink pill. I keep them on hand always. I don't think Harley would do the quick dissolve, I don't particularly like the taste...ha ha

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:19 am

Glad all is well :thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:30 am

please stay away from all dollar store foods and treats, they are terrible junk from china for the most part
most of the rawhides are preserved with formaldahyde and after all the recent recalls, who knows what is in the canned and dry foods.
for furtuer ref. you can use 2 benedryls in a bad reaction
glad all is well now. :thumbsup:

Harleysmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Harleysmommy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am

pblove wrote:please stay away from all dollar store foods and treats, they are terrible junk from china for the most part
most of the rawhides are preserved with formaldahyde and after all the recent recalls, who knows what is in the canned and dry foods.
for furtuer ref. you can use 2 benedryls in a bad reaction
glad all is well now. :thumbsup:

OMG lesson learned~! Dollar store GOOD (cleaning supplies) dollar store bad DOGGIES!!! :frown:

Return to “Health Issues”