3 questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
hoppersmom
Newborn Bully

3 questions

Postby hoppersmom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 pm

1) my puppy will not eat her puppy food. She will only eat my adult dogs food. I even tried mixing them to se if I could trick her but she just picked aroung the puppy food. It gives her diariah. (Purina pro plan for puppies)

2) I have read a few things on here about giving them an egg a few times a week? What is that for?

3) What is everybodies opinion of purina pro plan. In the past I have used regular purina recently I have upgraded a little. I want to feed them good food but I do not have a ton of money.

Kilo75
Newborn Bully

Postby Kilo75 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but from my little experience...
1) If she'll eat the adult food, just feed her that. There's nothing wrong with feeding a puppy adult food. Actually, a lot of people do it.
2)An egg is good for their coat. I'm not sure what other benefits there are.
3)Sorry, i have no opinion on Purina Pro Plan. Kilo just switched from Scence Diet to Canidae and he likes it better.

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:51 pm

hoppersmom:
First of all, check out this thread for a lot of good information about dog food:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23039

I'm pretty sure that anything Purina is not good dog food. I've read that a good dog food that is on the cheap side is the Costco Kirkland brand. How much do you currently pay for a bag of the Purina? If I know your price range, I might be able to point you in the right direction. Also, keep in mind that the better food you feed, the less you have to feed because they get more nutrients from the better quality food. Things to avoid: corn, soy, wheat, meat by-products, and tons of grains. The thread I linked to above has a lot more information about dog food ingredients.

As for the eggs, all I've read is that it's good for their coat. I just read on a recent thread (can't remember which one) that said one cooked egg a week should be all you need. But again, if you feed a good quality food, that shouldn't even be necessary IMO. I would suggest plain yogurt, though. I just started giving my dog 2 tablespoons of yogurt a day with one of her meals, and it has really helped with her gas.

Not sure about the puppy food. I don't think it's necessary to feed puppy food, but I'm sure there are those on this forum that have more experience with that.

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:57 pm

Here's another link that you might find helpful in regards to dog food!

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:01 am

your pup should not be able to get to the adult dog food.

do you free feed? if so try putting them on a schedule , you put the food bowls down for 15-30 minutes then it gets picked up whatever isnt eaten they miss out on until next feeding , all of mine eat their food with in 10 minutes if you cant stay with the pup to make sure she doesnt eat the other dogs food then feed her in a seperate room or her crate . she will not starve , once she learns she eats that food or she goes hungry she will eat i promise

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 am

I've read on here that "puppy food" is just a gimmick and that puppies can eat adult food. I would just feed her the adult food if that is what she likes. Gauge eats adult food - he is almost 10 months old and he has ate adult food since the day we found him. He hasn't had any problems. I know that Purina is not the best food out there. Check the "Top 5 Foods" sticky.

If you want to feed an egg - make sure it is cooked. With some dogs raw egg can not be digested properly.

hoppersmom
Newborn Bully

Postby hoppersmom » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to do some more reaserch on the brand of food that I feed them. I am also going to just keep giving the puppy adult food. I see no reason for her to have to have diariah, especially if others have not had problems with it.

I really like to yogurt tip. My moms springer spaniel has terrible gas. I will let her know about it.

Thanks for the link, lots of good info on there. :) :)

JulieC
Adolescent Bully

Postby JulieC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:28 am

Puppy food has higher fat and protein than adult dog food does. You will be feeding more food to gain the same results as you would with puppy. Eating mkore means more pooping...just a thought...

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:29 am

The Dog Food Project site is also really helpful in learning to understand food labels.

Return to “Health Issues”