DUE CLAWS

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
hrdrollin4life
Newborn Bully

DUE CLAWS

Postby hrdrollin4life » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:49 pm

Should these be removed or does it really matter... I heard people say that you can have them removed for the safety of the dog( so they don't get ripped out and they bleed to death) and then other people say it really doesn't matter...

Whats all of your opinions on it?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Front or back??
For me, the answer is, "it depends".
I'd not remove front ones.
The back ones, it depends on how "floppy" they are.

http://netpet.batw.net/articles/dewclaws.html

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Typically, as a breed, they don't have very pronounced dew claws (meaning you may have individuals within the breed who are not so). They are usually pretty unobstrusive and not in much danger. I have never had an APBT with them removed, nor had a problem with them.

hrdrollin4life
Newborn Bully

Postby hrdrollin4life » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:58 pm

ok thank you!!!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Front dew claws? Or rear dew claws?

It depends- if they are not solidly attached and are floppy, they may get snagged on something and ripped off when the dog is older. Of course, I've only seen floppy rear dew claws, I've never seen floppy front ones, yet.

Somewhat OT:
I thought, perhaps wrongly, that pit bulls just weren't born with rear dew claws? I've know I've seen pit bull *mixes* with rear dew claws... now I'm wondering! I thought ADBA standards also said no rear dew claws, but it's been a while since I read the breed standards.

My dog and lots of other pit bulls came from rescue situations and don't have rear dew claws; I'm doubting their original owners had the knowledge or money to remove all these rear dews when the pups were young! I mean, people can't even get their dogs de-wormed or give puppy shots, so I'm doubting all these shelter pit bulls had their rear dew claws surgically amputated. Hmm... help?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm

None of my dogs have rear ones, I was speaking of front ones. I never even thought of the back lol

hrdrollin4life
Newborn Bully

Postby hrdrollin4life » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 pm

ya.. Nieko doesn't have any in the back.. they are in the front and they aren't floppy. I just want to do everything right for my lil man... Its crazy how having a puppy could change me so much.. i couldn't imagine not having him in my life now!! :)

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:35 am

forelimb dewclaws are attatched by bone to the limb...rear dewclaws are not, which is why they may be floppy and are easily removed. I've only seen the fronts removed when they were not fully developed and only for aesthetic reasons.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 pm

All three of my dogs have front dews, and they've never caused any problems. I wouldn't remove them, personally.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:36 am

My dog and lots of other pit bulls came from rescue situations and don't have rear dew claws; I'm doubting their original owners had the knowledge or money to remove all these rear dews when the pups were young! I mean, people can't even get their dogs de-wormed or give puppy shots, so I'm doubting all these shelter pit bulls had their rear dew claws surgically amputated. Hmm... help?

A few years back I called a couple of vets to see about removing rear dew claws from pups. I asked how it was done, and was told that they were NOT surgically removed, but ripped off with surgical pliers. When I asked if anesthetic of any kind was used, I was told no, its not neccesary.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:46 am

Gatorpit wrote:

A few years back I called a couple of vets to see about removing rear dew claws from pups. I asked how it was done, and was told that they were NOT surgically removed, but ripped off with surgical pliers. When I asked if anesthetic of any kind was used, I was told no, its not neccesary.

now why am I not surprised!
my ex was bybing JRT and he could never manage to get them to the vet before they were 10 days old to have their tails docked
vet just hacked off those poor puppies tails, no anesthesia, nothing for pain after care either
those poor puppies cried and bled for days afterwards, many stopped nursing too, needles to say, some dehydrated and died. :frown:
after loosing some, from several litters he stoped breeding, thankfully
(but not because of the pain and deaths of the puppies, because he lost money on each dead puppy in his eyes-simple b@atard)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:13 am

We just had one of our foster kiddo's dew claws removed from his back legs.
The vet shaved them off during his neuter surgery. That's how loose and floppy they were.
They look fine, have a bit of a scab but are healing great.
HAD he not been being neutered however, I'd never have surgery just to remove them.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm

msvette2u wrote:The vet shaved them off during his neuter surgery. That's how loose and floppy they were.

Yeah, some are like that. Piper's front dew claws actually have bone running through them and are fully connected to her. Like, you could twist and break it and really hurt it. After I read that removing boned dew claws is much more of an ordeal than removing floppy little runty ones, I decided not to bother with it. She has only hurt a dew claw one time, and the incident was minor. She cracked the nail and it bled a bit. Styptic powder stopped the bleeding.

Bluebear
Super Bully

Postby Bluebear » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:58 pm

Front dew claws are usually removed at 3-4 days of age. They basically just clip them off with a pair of nail clippers and then use skin glue to prevent bleeding.

Personally, I would not have front dew claws removed beyond the first week of life. To me, it's just not worth the hassle and discomfort.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:59 pm

I have seen the vet I work for remove dewclaws and dock tails on puppies. It should be done when they are about 2 days old. The dewclaws are cut off with surgical scissors.. not ripped out with pliers (though I don't know how other vets do it). The tails are cut off with sharp scissors as well. Both are glued with surgical glue. There should not be any bleeding afterward. I agree that it is a pretty barbaric practice, and the puppies scream during the procedure, but right afterwards they snuggle back up with their littermates. I don't know how much residual pain there is... I'm sure with the tails it's a lot more than with the claws, as more is being cut with the tails. I wish this wasn't a part of so many breed standards.

Return to “Health Issues”