DUE CLAWS

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TangoJr
Matured Bully

Postby TangoJr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:10 pm

When I get home from work I'll post a picture of Mercedes' feet where her front dewclaws were. Apparently they had them removed when she was quite a bit older and she has TERRIBLE cross scars on both feet. It disgusts me.
My boxer has his dewclaws and we've never had a problem.

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:04 pm

If front dew claws aren't removed before a puppy is 4 days old, it's too late, unless a bad injury makes removal necessary. Done at 2 or 3 days old, it's no big deal and many show breeders do it themselves (I used to). Tail docking is another matter, IMO, and seems much more invasive. Of course, having a dog with frequent happy tail problems, I can see the utility of tail docking as a really young puppy, even if it seems really disgusting and usually unnecessary.

If your dog has dew claws, just be sure to keep them trimmed so they don't grow overly long. I've actually seen dogs, poodles especially, who have had their dew claws grow into a circle and almost grow into their legs! I don't know that this could happen with pit bulls, but keeping the dew claws as well as the other toenails trimmed or ground is always a good idea.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:08 pm

My dog, Ruby, seems to have a very paw-oriented playstyle. Twice in a year she ripped a dew claw off at the base/fur and it was really painful. We decided to have them removed to prevent more (anticipated) trauma. This was 2 or 3 months ago - she's btwn 3 and 4 years old. I've been hoping the cross scars would lessen but figured I'd have to give it 'time.' I've second guessed my decision a couple of times since then but really feel I was preventing something that would have continued to occur due to the way she paws at things. Interestingly, she did not receive any pain meds for her spay when we got her and for the dew claws - peoples' dogs seem to get pain meds for all kinds of (lesser?) procedures it seems tho.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Gatorpit wrote:
My dog and lots of other pit bulls came from rescue situations and don't have rear dew claws; I'm doubting their original owners had the knowledge or money to remove all these rear dews when the pups were young! I mean, people can't even get their dogs de-wormed or give puppy shots, so I'm doubting all these shelter pit bulls had their rear dew claws surgically amputated. Hmm... help?

A few years back I called a couple of vets to see about removing rear dew claws from pups. I asked how it was done, and was told that they were NOT surgically removed, but ripped off with surgical pliers. When I asked if anesthetic of any kind was used, I was told no, its not neccesary.

cap had her declaws removed with a knife, her front ones were very floppy and she almost ripped one off. there was just a nail w no bone in it... and a small like tendon type thing. But i had it done while she was already under for a spay. And my vet does do them w anestia for all declaws except puppies there is some different way...

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:18 am

My girls have had their declaws removed, and Priest still has his. Aesthetically, I prefer no dewclaws, but if I had a dog that still had them past their first few days, I wouldn't push to have them removed. Priest has no probs with his, and neither does Jedi, or any of my other dogs who've had them.

Return to “Health Issues”