Water.... How much?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Venomous
Matured Bully

Water.... How much?

Postby Venomous » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:59 am

So, I was just wondering... Odie is about 5 months old and I give him two to three big old bowl fulls of water a day. He pee's non stop. Sometimes he still has little accidents on the carpet, but I think it's just to let me know he wants to go outside, because we go out and he pee's like a horse! I feel bad because if I put water down, he drinks every single drop and then licks the bowl until I tell him to leave it and he moves away. Should I give him more water? How much water does a puppy like him need? Should I cut his water back so we avoid little "accidents"? And don't think I wait for him to pee on the carpet before we go outside. We are outside constantly when I'm at home. Also, because of the snow being so abundant here now, when we do go outside he spends most of his time eating the snow and licking it up and then pee'ing. LOL!! roflmao I dunno... just thought I'd ask everyone what they thought.

Thanks in advance

Patrick and Odie

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 pm

oh can i steal him? :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

i have 4 full water bowls thruought my house so that the dogs dont become obsessed with water.

since he is a puppy he is going to have accidents its quite normal. you dont really want to limit his water intake or he could get dehydrated.

did you get him as a rescue? or from a breeder? its possible he is drinking alot due to either not being allowed water before he came to you or he could have a medical problem or ocd problem

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm

I got him as a rescue! Sorry, he says he loves me waaaay too much to leave!! LOL!!

I think he's just OCD when it comes to water.. LOL! he loves it! He sticks his whole face in the bowl and then comes and tries to give me kisses!! mmmmm love puppy wet kisses!

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:31 pm

P.S. the woman I got him from is on this board and would never deprive her pets from anything at all... so that's for sure not it.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:06 pm

i give my pups who are 7 months old 3 bowls of water a day , 2 of those are with thier meals , the get at the most 3 cups each bowl and then everytime they go out and pee outside i give them 2 ice cubes when they come back in . so they get enough water IMO but i can limit how much with just the ice cubes otherwise they would drink water until they got sick

mine like to eat the snow as well i watch them when they go pee they come back in otherwise they will pee all the time too they LOVE the snow

Michael
Super Bully

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:25 pm

I keep water out for my dogs 24/7.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:57 pm

then he might just be a dog that loves water... i keep all water bowls full all the time, but mine dont play in the water bowls, so maybe he just loves loves loves water.. as long as the vet doesnt find any issues with his kidneys then i would just leave it be, and just watch him more for when he has to potty..

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:04 pm

I think that's pretty common with puppies, where they drink the whole bowl of water obsessively. I don't know if leaving several big bowls of water out will eventually (after a few nightmarish days or urine-soaked weeks) solve the problem because the dog realizes there's no shortage of water?

I have no idea. I think they usually just outgrow it, somehow. Although I know someone with a dog who did NOT outgrow or overcome it; he will try to drink even puddles when he is out on a walk.

Return to “Health Issues”