Back bumps/Allergy meds?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Back bumps/Allergy meds?

Postby tia_leigha » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:30 pm

Ok! So! In reference to this thread -->

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=81926

In a nutshell: Dozer has had these bumps on his back for a week now.
I thought it was a sudden allergy when it happened a year ago, but sice we are in a whole new place a year later, Im thinking its a seasonal/spring allergy.

He is SO uncomfortable. Scratchy/Itchy boy. I hae him on Benadryl until tomorrow.

My mom said she is looking into some meds at the vet clinic for him.
If anything some sort of medicated shampoo.

My question is...

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT MEDS/SHAMPOO works best?

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:15 pm

yes, and you wont believe me until you pay a vet $50 TO SAY THE SAME THING. My dog is allergic to the bite of da da da daaaaaaaaa...fleas. YUp, so small bumps arise on her back, she doesn't have to be infested, one's all it takes. So to help with her itching I force, I mean lovingly take her into the shower and she gets bathed 2 times a week instead of one. Also I use Oatmeal with flea rid shampoo and the next time I shower her with head n shoulders & conditioner, for her skin...

I know it sounds like it should be something more, but if it's just a raised up bump, that's all it is, and she gets them a lot, not everyday, but they seem to not go away.

You can also apply frontline, or advantage, but Darla has an adverse reaction to it skin and smell wise (she reaks of chemicals for more than a week) so the bathing seems to soothe and work.

I hope this helps you!

Amber

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:21 pm

You can also consider garlic supplements as a natural deterrent to fleas in addition to the chemical ones. Hopefully it might help prevent them from even biting.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:04 pm

garlic works? does it need to be fresh or can you sprinkle garlic on their food?

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Garlic doesn't always work, but maybe my fleas are Italian?!

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:27 pm

Garlic is a natural deterrent. It in no way replaces the real stuff, but I find it does help a lot, along with other health benefits. We give our dogs garlic capsules.

http://www.sojos.com/garlicarticle.html

A good article about dogs and garlic.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:59 am

It could be a number of things. Before wasting money at the vet I would find a good dermatologist in your area to go too. Or call your vet and ask for a referral. More expensive but you will save money in the long run.

It could be allergies, staph infection, or fungus.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:33 am

Could also be ant bites if your pup likes to roll around alot outside. It's never happened to my dog, but my horse rolled on a fire-ant "home" the other day and had the bumps all over his side.

Hey, maybe the garlic will work for the vampire fleas! ;-)

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

UPDATE!!!

Postby tia_leigha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:34 am

Well I took him to the vet Wednesday morning. I woke up..and his neck was so red it was almost bloody. He scratched it throughout the night.

Anyway! I explained the situation to the vet. I included how this happened the SAME time last year. She said that the Revolution will protect him against disease, etc, but it does NOT REPEL the fleas by any means.

This means he runs outside to pee, gets a bite from the yard, and comes in with a whole rash from one bite. Poor guy.
The Benadryl will work ONLY until it wears off.

She gave us an antibiotic for his rash to make sure he doesnt scratch it to infection.
She also put him on a steroid to help clear up the allergies . He needed a boost.

So this morning- we have no more bumps. Our 1st day OFF the Benadryl.
The steroid has made him eat and drink much more. He seems to be feeling better. I hated seeing the poor guy mope.

So am I going to have to get him shots when I run out of these meds?
Will he be tough enough to not have this allergy now for a while?
Im getting garlic capsules tonight...we will try anything :)

Doggiehotel
Newborn Bully

here is a book that has home-treatments such as Lemons

Postby Doggiehotel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 am

http://books.google.com/books?id=yZqccS ... n#PPA46,M1

Lemons do help a bunch - follow the suggestions for the lemon home made spray... I won't cost much at all to try it.

Good Luck

Marie of NuVET Plus Vitamins
Doggie Chalet Hotel....

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:04 pm

I've been dealing with bumps on rod for ever. it usually happens in between each season. I have him on benedryl as well. He doesn't scratch all that much, but I know its sensitive.
I would be careful with too many baths or Oatmeal baths. Rod has some sensitive skin. His breakouts are usually after baths, and had a bad reaction to the oatmeal bath. I've use non- soap shampoo, which helped a bit, but I limit his bathes.

Return to “Health Issues”