best age to neuter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Datsun
Newborn Bully

best age to neuter

Postby Datsun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:56 am

I am 100% sure I will get Bentley neutered. I just want to know when the best time is to have him done.

I guess I want to get it right, so that he reaches his full size/muscle potential but does not get any bad marking/protective/aggression(toward
dogs) traits that can come with being entire for too long...

What are your opinions/experiences as far as the best age to neuter him?

Bentley is 6 months old and he is a gentle loveable sook but getting a lot stronger and a tiny bit boisterous (nothing unusual for his age) he is also 21kg at last weigh (3 days ago).

Here's Bentley with my grandad to show his size:

His Mum:

His Dad:

Also any guesses as to what Bentley is??

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:09 am

I dont mean to take over your thread, but id also like to know whats the best age to neuter. Rambo is about 5 months old....

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:15 am

I got my male neutered at a year old.

You can do it any time you feel like. I've read that dogs neutered younger tend to grow a bit taller, but there's really no way to tell for sure. Also, the younger they are neutered, the less chance of the little flap of skin left over (the empty "sack"). Duke has quite a bit of loose skin down there, and it bugs me...but not as much as nasty doggie balls.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:15 am

If you let him mature (older than six months) chances are he will start marking and even if you get him neutered, he probably will never stop.

Some dogs do, some don't - but a lot of times it's a habit that they never stop doing - even after the testicles are gone.

- From the pics, it looks like the dad isn't that muscular - it may just be the white coat - but he looks kinda out of shape

Mom looks better - but it's hard to tell with so much white, it washes out the definition of the dog's shape in the pictures

Your dog looks good. If you get him neutered - he will still gain muscle and size - it's not something you have to worry about. Just excercise him and provide a good diet - everything will be fine.

Datsun
Newborn Bully

Postby Datsun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:26 am

I agree, his dad looks terribly out of shape to me too! Haha!

Bentley has a daily minimum of an hour walk and lots of fetch in our huge yard so I hope he will never look as unfit as his father!!

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:26 am

We got Marley neutered at 1 year old, when he started acting like a moron :) He has never marked in the house though.

He was being really bratty to me, and totally had no respect (although he listened to everything the boyfriend said)... We instituted NILIF and took him to be neutered, and now he's a momma's boy and listens to me better than he listens to the boyfriend.

Marley is still developing muscle (although he could stand to lose a few pounds) and I don't really find him that tall. He'll be 2 at the first of June.

He weighs 58 pounds, and is 21" at the shoulder. His dad was 80 pounds, and his moms weighed close to 70 but they were both out of shape and overweight when we saw them (BYB).

Datsun
Newborn Bully

Postby Datsun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:33 am

Bentley has started to mark at the beach and where he can smell other dogs but never inside, thankfully!!

I just wonder if I get him done now if he will become overweight and too tall instead of a good looking fit and healthy weight...?

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:41 am

Marley marked outside too, and still does.... just never inside the house.

I don't think a dog that gets good exercise and decent diet is going to end up overweight, whether he's neutered or not. I don't find Marley fat, but he could lose a few pounds... we haven't been exercising as much over the winter so he's gotten a little chubby.

Here's Marley, just so you know that he's not a sausage, just not in great shape right now:

Datsun
Newborn Bully

Postby Datsun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:49 am

Marley is a beautiful dog!!

Thank you, I am probably going to get the chop done next month when Bentley will be 7 months. He will always have daily exercise so I think he will be fine.

Datsun
Newborn Bully

Postby Datsun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:50 am

I must say I really don't dig the look of balls dangling... so they are definitely going to go!

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:06 am

Datsun wrote:I must say I really don't dig the look of balls dangling... so they are definitely going to go!

I have a couple of pictures of Marley pre-chop, and the doggy balls just gross me out... it's so much nicer without them :D

luvmypitties
Super Bully

Postby luvmypitties » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 am

I got Roscoe done at 7 months and we havent really had any issues with his growth afterwards. I dont see as much definition on him as I would like but I am not sure if that is just genetics or not?

Here are some pictures of him

falldeepintoxen

Re: best age to neuter

Postby falldeepintoxen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 am

Datsun wrote:His Mum:

Also any guesses as to what Bentley is??

His mom looks kind of like a Dogo (some are spotted that way)...and clue on how big she is?

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 am

Tyson is getting neutered this weekend at 5 months old. I feel so bad. :frown:

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 am

I waited until my dog was 2 years of age before I took him in. It’s been 7 months since his neuter and I haven’t notice any changes.. except that he doesn’t hike on walks…. Most of the time he squatted anyways, but he did do the occasional hike. Now he hardly ever lifts his leg. I know a lot of people that get there dogs done at 6 months of age, and they are fine. I’m sure that you’d avoid any annoying male stuff and female heats if you did it early.

Also… my dog has mini pancakes now… so if you don’t want that.. do it earlier. lol

Return to “Health Issues”