PuPpIeS!?!?!?!?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

PuPpIeS!?!?!?!?

Postby ashleynzues » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:17 pm

I came home today to find a yellow lab in our lawn mower shed having puppies!!! She's had four so far, and still in labor, been in labor for 6 hours... What do we do?!? How in the world did she get into our fenced in yard?? Nick thinks those people who have Toby (the aussie) dumped her there, because they had a yellow female lab, and there is two merle pups in the litter!! What should I do with them?? Nick's contacting the people who have toby tomorrow... or going by there to see if the lab is still there. There is NO way she got in on her own.. there is chicken wire in the ground, and how would a pregnat dog climb that tall fence?? Someone definetly dumped her...

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:22 pm

:po:

Bring a baseball bat with you - just in case you find out that it IS their dog. Show them what happens to bastards who dump their dogs.

Not really - I'm not supposed to promote illegal activities.

That's just really messed up - I hope she'll be alright and has an easy labor :sad:

IamNicki
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IamNicki » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 pm

That is so crappy! :frown:

Hope mama and puppies are okay.

What do your boys think about this??

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 pm

holy crow!!!
good luck with those people... if she was evidently dumped, then they're probably not going to fess up. even if she wasn't dumped, I would be a little weary giving the dog and puppies back to irresponsible people...

anyway, maybe you could contact a rescue if it turns out that it's "not their dog"?
or are you in a position where it would be alright to foster (fun! but hard work...)?

until then, keep an eye on her and make sure she's not experiencing dystocia (trouble giving birth)... make sure the pups are warm, she's warm, and they're in a safe place. do you have a basement where you could kitty corner the dog and pups? could you make a quick birth box?

ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ashleynzues » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Well I'm a little iffy about getting to close to her... it's a dog that doesn't know me giving birth... The boys know somethings up and want outside, but again, I don't know this dog. They are in the shed in our yard, which is pretty warm. I got close to her and pet her, but decided it's best if i just leave her alone.... Oh and we are definelty NOT giving her back!! If it turns out to be theirs I'm taking legal action for dog abuse, it's illegal to dump dogs off. I want to move her to the laudry room in my house, but not sure about her... she seems very gentle. She is also VERY OLD!! She only has four teeth, and is turning white. I feel very sorry for her, her breathing is horrible.. i'm going back out there, and will keep you guys posted

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 pm

ashleynzues wrote:Well I'm a little iffy about getting to close to her... it's a dog that doesn't know me giving birth... The boys know somethings up and want outside, but again, I don't know this dog. They are in the shed in our yard, which is pretty warm. I got close to her and pet her, but decided it's best if i just leave her alone.... Oh and we are definelty NOT giving her back!! If it turns out to be theirs I'm taking legal action for dog abuse, it's illegal to dump dogs off. I want to move her to the laudry room in my house, but not sure about her... she seems very gentle. She is also VERY OLD!! She only has four teeth, and is turning white. I feel very sorry for her, her breathing is horrible.. i'm going back out there, and will keep you guys posted

I feel so bad for this dog.... :frown:

if it's warm enough in your shed (it should be at least 65-70 degrees with little draft... a heat lamp wouldn't hurt), then it's best not to disturb her too much. just make sure she's not having any problems and is taking to her pups well.

if the dog isn't aggressive, move her in as soon as possible.

good luck!!

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Several years ago I was getting ready to move, went upstairs to get some boxes, and in the time I was in the apartment, a yellow lab walked into my moving van and went into labor. It was pretty bizarre. I called the cops. Oddly, the cop started laughing when I described the situation. Turns outhe owners were on the other line - he'd literally put them on hold to answer my call - and they were looking for their dog! Small town...

That's just to say that pregnancy makes you do odd things (that little lady and her pups could have ended up in New York State!)

Good luck getting it worked out - it sure doesn't sound like your situation will be as easy as mine. :frown:

ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ashleynzues » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm

I don't know if i am allowed to post pictures of the pups since they are dumpies... but I have to show you one

they are definetly some type of cattle dog!! I just have a gut feeling they are toby's

She isn't aggressive, being that she let me pick up a puppy. Anybody know how i can help her?? she's still in labor...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Oh gosh...UM. Bring the puppies into the house where you want her and she should follow.
If she continues in labor for...what is it, 2 hrs, without a puppy, it could be stuck!
Lemme google stuff...oh my...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:53 pm

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Delivering_Puppies Try here!
And...it's 1 hr...with no puppies...

ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ashleynzues » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 pm

We've tried to get her to follow us.. she won't budge! Nick tried to pick her up and she growled. I think her breathing is getting worst!! Nick thinks she is too old to do it...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:00 pm

How long has it been since there's been a puppy!?
WELL you can keep the babies warm by putting them in a laundry basket or some such, with warm, dry towels.
If you have a heat pad you can set it to low and set it under the basket.
Put them close by her so she doesn't panic.
Being afraid can cause their labor to slow, maybe leave her alone a bit and check on her every 10 - 15min??
If you want to call me, PM me for my number - I am no expert but have assisted a few foster mommies.

ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ashleynzues » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:00 pm

She just had another pup!! She won't let us assist in anyway... we have gotten the pups and cleaned them though.. is that a very good idea??

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:01 pm

ashleynzues wrote:We've tried to get her to follow us.. she won't budge! Nick tried to pick her up and she growled. I think her breathing is getting worst!! Nick thinks she is too old to do it...

it maybe dystocia... has it been 1 hr? maybe it's time for the e-vet, unfortunately...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 pm

ashleynzues wrote:She just had another pup!! She won't let us assist in anyway... we have gotten the pups and cleaned them though.. is that a very good idea??

YES YES! You can towel them and set them aside while she has more. Unless she's snippy, then just clean them and hand them back...
Poor old girl...

Return to “Health Issues”