Need Quick Ans. re: Eating Bottle Cap

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Need Quick Ans. re: Eating Bottle Cap

Postby KristenD » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 pm

I think Sabot ate the cap off a water bottle a few minutes ago. I didn't see him do it, but I also can't find it. So, I called the emergency vet and asked them about it and she said I could give him peroxide to make him throw up, but that it can be stressful on him since we don't actually know if he ate it or not. The other option is to wait and see if he passes it or has any issues regarding eating/drinking or with bowel movements. She also mentioned that since he is a larger dog (60 lb) he shouldn't really have a problem passing it if he did eat it. I guess I want to know what people here would do. Would you wait to see what happens or go ahead with the peroxide?

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:26 pm

is it a plastic bottle cap?

Marley ate one before... he passed it fine, but I was a wreck for a couple days waiting for it to come out and monitoring poop flow obsessively in case of obstruction, or blood. Our vet told us the same thing...

Which is more stressful, watching your dog throw-up, or waiting a couple days for him to poop it out? I know it was a REALLY stressful couple of days for me, every whimper had me ready to rush him to the vet.

KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Nevermind. We decided to go ahead and give him the peroxide. He threw up everything in his stomach, but I couldn't see anything that looked like a bottle cap and I couldn't bring myself to poke through it. I almost threw up just from watching him ... so, yeah. Definitely not poking through it. Maybe we'll see something tomorrow when we're hosing off our sidewalk.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Yikes, if he chewed it before swallowing, I'd worry about damage coming back up the esophagus.... but you don't know. Hmm. My dogs have eaten plenty of things and passed them just fine over the years, but it's stressful. Some people say to give them bread to eat to help pass things along. Not sure if it's a myth or not, though.
Good luck.

KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 pm

hwillm - Yes, it was plastic. I was already starting to obsess over his burps, which he does quite often normally. I talked to my husband about it and we decided to go ahead and do it. Hopefully we'll find it tomorrow.

Allie - Honestly, I didn't think of that. I didn't see him eat it, so I'm unsure if it was chewed up or not. I'm guessing it was given the state of the rest of the bottle and the fact that it still hasn't been found. The hubby accidentally fed him extra today, so hopefully all of that was enough of a buffer to keep it from causing any harm. Also, Idid watch him and there was no blood in the vomit (he vomited three times), so I guess that's a good sign. Anything I should watch for?

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Another thing you can do (for future reference I guess) is give canned pumpkin to help cushion it through his GI tract. This was recommended by my nutrition professor to one of my friends whose dog ate some earrings.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:10 pm

I would go ahead with the pumpkin now, in case it didn't come up. It will also help return his GI tract to normal after the peroxide. Just add a few Tablespoons to his regular dinner.

KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 pm

How long should I give him the pumpkin? And, it needs to be plain canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, right?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:20 am

Yes, 100% pumpkin. Canned. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”