PetSmart Animal Hospital Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:53 am

deedeesmom wrote:The banfield here doesn't have that. You cant see anything at all for the vet's portion. Now the groomers do have that window so you can see how they groom a dog.

x2 for mine here.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 am

Kingsgurl wrote:The one where I am does 3 year vaccines. I don't find that excessive. I will say this, they are a chain (and, BTW, NOT owned by PetSmart) so they can have a variation in the vets available at locations near you. I am lucky, since the Banfield in the PetSmart I work at has a Banfield that is actually franchise owned by one of the best vets I've met. I've also seen some pretty poor vets at other locations and some good vets at even others. SO, I suggest you (as you would in choosing ANY vet) talk to the vet and the staff and see how you like them.
I had Martin's surgery done at a Banfield location (they had a board certified Ortho Surgeon come in) and I couldn't have been happier with the care, the level of expertise, follow up (and results!)
The Wellness plan IS one hell of a deal.

x2 again...I have 2 by me and I'll only go to one of them because the staff at the other are rude and they don't love on the animals. The Banfield I go to is WONDERFUL and so is the staff and vets.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:09 am

The newer Banfields have the window. They only do pretty minor surgeries with the blinds open (spay/neuter, very draped, no blood) It's disconcerting to some, but some people actually like it.

ashleynzues
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ashleynzues » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 am

Why isn't there one of these hospitals in ANY petsmart around here?? :frown:

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:51 am

WOW, you guys/gals are amazing! Thank your so much for all the feed back... While researching the BA hospital on the Internet I read so many negative feed back that I actually started to thing it was an awful place. So really, thank you. Your feed back means awhole lot more to me.
Just one correction thou, the heartworm medication is not included. Not a big deal to me!

The total for all three dogs with the Banfield Animal Hospital - Wellness Program would be $898, or $823.13 if I enroll over the phone as the lady on the phone said. I can always buy their flee/tick/mosquito/fly medication online as I've done in the past.

The local vet who would give the 4 in 1, bordetella & rabies shot, test fecal sample, hw test on the 3 dogs will be $538 for the one visit paid in full at time of visit.

Also, I've been doing some research on Pet Insurance as well as on the BA Hospital. What do you guys/gals think of "Pet Insurance"?

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:The newer Banfields have the window. They only do pretty minor surgeries with the blinds open (spay/neuter, very draped, no blood) It's disconcerting to some, but some people actually like it.

My banfield has the window but they NEVER have it where you can see in. I wish they did cause I would sit there and watch surgeries all day...

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm not fond of Banfield because I don't like veterinary chains, I prefer smaller businesses. And also because my Dad was doing some electrical work for the original Banfield Vet (which is not in a Petsmart, it's off of a freeway nicknamed "the Banfield", and the owner of that clinic founded the chain.), and they were euthing a bunch of Greyhounds when he was in there- former track dogs that didn't make it into an adoption program. So profit seems to be very much the motivator to me, and I like to be able to at least pretend that my vet is in it for the animals.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:12 am

Well, since the vet who runs the Banfield where Martin had the surgery donated the surgical space AND talked the surgeon into halving the price since Martin was his patient and a rescue, I think he falls VERY much into the category of 'in it for the pets'. He's also doing some heavily discounted and payment plan options for a couple friends of mine.

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:09 am

I am pretty certain that we will be going to the Banfield Animal Hospital once it opens at the end of the month at least to check it out.

As far as vets who are in it solely for the animals I've only had the pleasure of meeting 1 in over 30 years of needing their services for my animals. This guy had 2 offices of which one was dedicated to helping those less fortunate. I even travelled to this office for him to care for my rotties years ago. Now that I moved to just a few blocks from there I found out that he gave/sold the practice to some other vet who apparently is not so sympathetic with the plight of the people.:( Just my luck... :headbang: I called the other day to see what it would cost me to bring my 3 in for regular check up, 4in1, bordetella, rabies vacc., fecal testing, heartworm testing TOTAL $538 with the 10% discount for multiple pets. And if I want the fleas & Heartworm meds. the total will be $1068. And I have to bring in all the dogs in at the same time.

I don't think there are many vets that are in it solely for the animals. I can't really say that I blame them with the cost of living these days.;( They have to pay rent, salaries, equipment & supplies, and still be able to make a living... At least their are still some vets that volunteer at the shelters.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:55 am

I can't imagine any vet being in it solely for the animals, they have to make a living! But I know a lot of vets who won't euthanize a healthy animal, or otherwise do procedures that aren't for the good of the pet. It's pretty obvious that the guy who founded that chain feels differently, if it can make him money, he'll do it. Just not the philosophy I want behind my pet's care. And of course the individual vets there might be different, but it's still supporting that guy's business.

Not saying that nobody should go there, I've never been myself, and can't comment on the quality of care. Just saying that I won't use them, and stating my reasons.

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Sarah wrote:I can't imagine any vet being in it solely for the animals, they have to make a living! But I know a lot of vets who won't euthanize a healthy animal, or otherwise do procedures that aren't for the good of the pet. It's pretty obvious that the guy who founded that chain feels differently, if it can make him money, he'll do it. Just not the philosophy I want behind my pet's care. And of course the individual vets there might be different, but it's still supporting that guy's business.

Not saying that nobody should go there, I've never been myself, and can't comment on the quality of care. Just saying that I won't use them, and stating my reasons.

Sarah, I am extremely sorryyyyyyyyyyyy if I came across wrong!! I wasn't directing my respond at you, and again I am sorry if it came across that way.
I was only stating a fact from an older person's perspective. I even use to give my dogs all their shots except the rabies (can't get it in NY) trying to save a little so that I could rescue more animals out of the shelters. The days of having more then 3 dogs & 2 cats are over. I can't keep up with too many. Anyway I don't know what exactly happened with the original owner/founder of Banfield, but I do know that many rescue places have to put down perfectly healthy animals because they are not being adopted, and perhaps that is what happened with those greyhounds. I am not saying that it is right, and I have just as much anger, frustration, and heart break for these wonderful creatures that the Good Lord has made being put to death... If I could I would adopted them all. But if they have to be put down I much prefer that a vet puts them down mercifully then the rescue place putting them in an enclosure, and gassing them. :crybaby:
By the way, I may just go back to my old neighborhood to their old vet.
I'll just have to deal with cleaning up Nehron's barf.yuck :frown: Nehron gets very very car sick. One time when we got to the vets office, and my son opened the car door the mess just poured out of the car unto the street causing a young guy that was walking with his gf to bust out laughing. Took a whole big roll of paper towels to clean out the car until we could get him back home, and do the same clean up all over again.

amymcq1
Newborn Bully

Bad experience

Postby amymcq1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:13 am

I have used the same vet for years. When I moved, I took Izzy to Banfield.
As any dog would be, she was nervous. I waited for over 2 hours for my scheduled appointment with no explanation, then some aggressive assistant demanded to hold Izzy's head while her immunizations were administered.
The doctor did finally realize, after I suggested several times that I hold her head, that this was probably a better idea. Slow witted bunch there!
I found the entire experience painful for myself and Izzy, and would NOT recommend Banfield to anyone in my area.
I have since made the 60 mile round trip to my old vet, and we are both happier.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Exactly why I pointed out that they are a chain and your experience may vary greatly depending on the staff at your particular location, which is EXACTLY the same thing as you will find choosing a vet anywhere.
I suggest to anyone who is searching for a vet that they drop in on all the ones they are considering and chat with both the staff and the vet. One who won't accomodate that is not one I would count on to listen to my sometimes paranoid questions regarding my dogs health with the patience he/she will require lol
I was EXTREMELY happy with my previous vet and absolutely loved him, but I am even happier now and I've saved a great deal to boot.
It's like choosing your own Dr. just because he works for Kaiser doesn't mean you will hit it off with him or like his style. Conversely, just because he is a private practitioner doesn't mean that either.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:43 am

My negative experience with Banfield:

When I got my cat, Tigger, as a kitten (a few years ago) I took him there so I could pay a flat fee up front and get all of his shots and his neuter for a decent price. He was a little over a pound when I first brought him in, and I really wasn't expecting them to give him any shots. The Dr. said "no, it's fine!" and gave him FCVRP, Feleuk (even though I said I didn't want it), and a vacc for giardia (which I also said i didn't want). About 3 hours after my visit (which was later in the night) my kitten had a HORRIBLE reaction to the shots and I had to take him to the emergency vet. They could not believe that any Dr. in their right mind would give a kitten that small so many vaccines......

Lets just say I will never even consider or recommend that particular Banfield to anybody.

Another incident happened to a friend of mine in a different area. She found an adult cat (that was abandoned) and took it in to get a Feluek/FIV test. The vet told her it was negative. 4 years later her cat dies of feline leukemia and she is fearful that her other cats now have it too. She went back to the Banfield and they looked up her file and said that in the computer it said it was positive, and in her discharge instructions it said it was negative...........yeah, she was furious...

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Well after calling around all the vets in the neighborhood, and surrounding area I've decided that I will just deal with Nehron barfind. He will ride in a crate in the back of my SUV, that way it should be easier to clean up. The girls will just ride in the back seat. :))

The place I took my dogs before is a full fletch hospital which gives their patients moms & dads a pager number to call incase of an emergency. They have been expanding over the past 20 years, and my only complaint so far is that the last couple of times I was there with my dogs they were seen by different doctors.

Return to “Health Issues”