WOBBLING HEAD??? Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

WOBBLING HEAD??? Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Postby Lizzie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:43 am

I put this in Misc because it is not pit bull related.

So the baby's changing table is in the dining room, where Loki's (Siberian Husky) crate is. Loki loves his crate and since I'm on maternity leave I've found that he hangs out in it all day long, even though the door is left open. I've gotten used to it and this morning after we woke up around 6, Loki went to his crate and remained there (again, with the door open) all morning. This is normal and I didn't think anything of it.

So at about 10:00 I was changing the baby and I turned around to glance at Loki and I noticed that his head was wobbling. NOT shaking like he does when his ears are bothering him...he was looking right at me and his head was wobbling, like a person with Parkinson's Disease. :sad: I was holding the baby at the time so I said "Loki, what's wrong?" and he wagged his tail, stood up, walked over to me, sat, and gave me his paw...all with his head wobbling on his shoulders!

I panicked and wasn't sure whether to grab the video camera or the phone...the phone won out and I called DH at work to come home. But by the time I got DH on the phone, Loki's head had stopped shaking. The entire time he was very responsive and acting completely fine...tail wagging, walking, giving paw, etc.

Now he is back in his crate just chilling and he is completely fine. What the heck WAS that? Was it some kind of seizure???

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:45 am

Forgot to add: I have no idea how long this was going on. Loki had been laying quietly in his crate for several hours and I didn't look at him.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 am

I've only heard of it in bulldogs and yes, it's a type of seizure.
Check with your vet.

http://www.bulldogsworld.com/headtremor.html

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:48 am

From the description, that sounds exactly like the focal seizures Streets had a few years ago. In his case they seem to have been caused by the HW preventative he was on, but obviously that's not the only cause at all.

This is a great site and describes different types of seizures. Maybe you'll find something helpful.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:52 am

My own dog fuzzy terrier has shakey problems.. I think, and the vet thinks on him it could be a low blood sugar thing, for if I offer him something to eat (he scarfs it right up) he snaps right out of it.

I have tested his sugar recently and it was fine. But sometimes out of the blue he will have what I call the "shakeys"

I dont know anything about the seizures listed. My vet wasnt too concerned..but of course mommy freaks out every time.

wspeed1195
Bully Ambassador

Postby wspeed1195 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:07 pm

was it A muddy diaper?
maybe the dog just had A mudment of clarity.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:55 pm

The bulldog tremor syndrome is not a seizure at all, but just an odd idiosyncrasy of unknown origin in bulldogs (according to our resident neurologist anyway) so I'm not sure if you can really say thats what happened to Loki.

I wouldn't worry too much for now, but if it continues to happen or if he has a more serious seizure then you should see a vet.

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:13 pm

wspeed1195 wrote:was it A muddy diaper?
maybe the dog just had A mudment of clarity.

Glad to see you can get some entertainment out of my funny, funny story.

To the rest of you, thank you so much for the info. I've been keeping a very close eye on Loki and it has not happened again. He's acting completely fine, eating and running around like normal. He scared the crap out of me, but he seems perfectly ok. I'll keep watching him, of course, and keep ya posted.

luvmypitties
Super Bully

Postby luvmypitties » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Jake my pitbull had something similar to that. his head would wobble and his eyes would dart a couple of times. This was diagnosed as a seizure. We were told if they ahve one or two its not a big concern its if they start having them more often thats when something needs to be done. i would do as others said and keep an eye on him to see if you notice any others.

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 am

Hi Lizzie! OT, your baby is just to cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is she/he giving the world a double finger. :))

Sorry about your doggy! Wish I had something to say that would help.:(

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:51 pm

msvette2u wrote:I've only heard of it in bulldogs and yes, it's a type of seizure.
Check with your vet.

http://www.bulldogsworld.com/headtremor.html

From that link:

Absolutely nothing at all: The bully will be sleeping very soundly and all of a sudden the head will start rocking. This sudden head motion will cause the bully to awaken suddenly. An episode will last from 15 to 30 seconds, sometimes longer. It may stop on its own and then as the dog lies down to go back to sleep the head tremor will reoccur. REM sleep?

This has happened to Clancy a few times, when he is deeply sleeping. If we wake him up and get him to stand, it will eventually stop.

I'm not sure what causes it, but it does sound very similar to what Loki experienced.

Return to “Health Issues”