SLENTROL - prescription weight loss for dogs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Annika
Addicted to PBF

SLENTROL - prescription weight loss for dogs?

Postby Annika » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Am I overreacting? Does anyone else find this ridiculous?

Or are dogs like people, wherein some people have true medical problems that cause them to be overweight?

Can dog obesity really not be solved by getting off your butt and working him on a leash or playing with him, and feeding him a good diet?

Really?

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Re: SLENTROL - prescription weight loss for dogs?

Postby julie64 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 pm

Annika wrote:Am I overreacting? Does anyone else find this ridiculous?

Or are dogs like people, wherein some people have true medical problems that cause them to be overweight?

Can dog obesity really not be solved by getting off your butt and working him on a leash or playing with him, and feeding him a good diet?

Really?

I agree with you. To me it's another gimmic just like all the diet pills for humans. I know that dogs with thyroid problems just like people tend to gain weight. It's a constant battle but you can maintain their weight without diet doggie pills :frown:

Julie

Bluebear
Super Bully

Postby Bluebear » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:13 pm

I read a great quote a while back, "If your dog is overweight you're not getting enough exercise." I think this would be true for those who want to put their dogs on Silentrol.

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 pm

We are dealing with our lab mix Misty being overweight at the moment. I blame myself for this.. not any genetic thing.. Now I do believe some breeds are prone weight gain as they get older. But as responsible owners it's our duties to prevent this.. with diet and exercise. I no longer free-feed any of the dogs they get measured amounts of food 2x a day.

They get ran everyday at least 1x sometimes twice. and I have noticed she is finally showing signs of having a waist again.

Thanks to this board I have learned so much and my dogs are better because of it... :bowdown:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm

No, its not a joke, its clinically proven and approved for use in pets.

I'm yet to see a pet that couldn't lose weight when placed on a proper diet and exercise regimen, but it IS harder for some, and some people just need the "magic pill" to get started, or to make sure their pet loses weight for medical reasons while the humans get their over-feeding habits under control.

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:05 am

Bluebear wrote:I read a great quote a while back, "If your dog is overweight you're not getting enough exercise." I think this would be true for those who want to put their dogs on Silentrol.
:thumbsup: I love this quote!!;)

Dogs as well as humans with thyroid problems (myself being one) get meds to control the thyroid not diet pills.;)

I agree this is just a nother gimmick, a stupid & dangerous one at that!!
Feed the dog less, exercise him/her more, and quit giving treats.
By the way every time I see an obese dog it is usually an elderly persons pooch...
I feed my dogs in some peoples mind to much. I put out about 4 lbs. of food for the 3 of them. They free feed, but I see that they seem to eat only what they need. Sometimes there is food left over, sometimes not. I don't see their ribs, but they are not round either. Don't have problems with food aggression, or bloating.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:30 am

It's not a stupid and dangerous gimmick. As misskiwi said, it's been tested and approved for pets. It basically blocks some absorption of fat in the intestines. So the dog may be eating a lot of fat, but it doesn't absorb all of it, just what it needs. I agree that it is not needed for all pets, and diet and exercise are very important parts of weight loss. However, some animals get so overweight that they physically can't exercise due to arthritis, etc. This drug can help the owners to get a jump start on the weight loss until the dog is at a level that allows it to exercise. Some animals are already on a reduced calorie food and still don't lose weight.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:No, its not a joke, its clinically proven and approved for use in pets.

Well right, I knew it was real....I just....wanted to see if I was the only one who thinks it's awfully sad. That pets can even GET to the point where they need a medical jump-start on their dieting. :(

But alas...many humans get to this point too who have no excuse.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 am

Annika wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:No, its not a joke, its clinically proven and approved for use in pets.

Well right, I knew it was real....I just....wanted to see if I was the only one who thinks it's awfully sad. That pets can even GET to the point where they need a medical jump-start on their dieting. :(

But alas...many humans get to this point too who have no excuse.

The problem is that your average fat pet is beyond the point of help. People either have very good control over their pets diet, or very poor control, and pets often eat as much people food in a day as their people do, meaning they're eating 4-5 times as much per day as they should be eating.

Also, many pets need to lose weight FAST. For instance, a 120 pound labrador retriever may need to lose 20 pounds in order to be eligible for surgery to correct a ruptured cruciate, but it would take him almost a year to lose that weight using a normal weight loss regimen, especially with exercise restriction for his injured knee. These dogs need additional help beyond a leash and a measuring cup.

Brandy
Newborn Bully

Postby Brandy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:39 pm

How many meds, especially diet pills have been tested pronounced great only to be recalled because of their dangerous side effects?
This is what I am referring to!
I myself am very over weight (thanks to anti big C meds to name but one), and I will not put myself through the risk of taking these diet pills. And it is not just the diet pills that pass testing only to be found to cause worse side effects then the cure.
I'm sure it is ment for the welfare of the animal, but how long has this medication been around?
I have never had an animal with a cruciated knee so I don't really know how much they can safely do. Can they take slow walks? I have a totally arthritic knee, and I can attest to how painful it is. And yes they want to do a total knee replacement, and then do the same surgery on the other one which is on it's way to being as bad. So I deal with the pain, but I don't just sit on my fat donkey. I get up, and do what I can even if it means taking alot of breaks.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Well, one difference between Slentrol and many human diet pills that have been recalled is that those human pills worked on your metabolism. Slentrol blocks absorption of triglycerides. Screwing with your metabolism has a much greater potential for harmful side effects.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:49 pm

It makes me pretty irrate! Dog weight loss, dog walkers, doggy day-care, dog anxiety medicine, dog tranquil tabs....it all makes my skin crawl.
I mean I kow there are some exeptions like a dog walker for a disabled or pregnant person. Or tranquil tabs for dogs who are scared of thunder and stuff like that but as a whole it is ridiculous!

Salgonza
Matured Bully

Postby Salgonza » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Its like putting a dog on ritalin because he/she is hyper. JUST TAKE HIM/HER for a walk.

No reason to medicate dogs or people in reality. Proper xercise and Diet do wonders.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Re: SLENTROL - prescription weight loss for dogs?

Postby dawnapbt » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Annika wrote:Am I overreacting? Does anyone else find this ridiculous?

Really?

Yes, dogs are like people in that respect. They can get cancer. They can have thyroid issues. They can have hormone and metabolic issues.

My good friend has a female AST. She spayed the dog older, and thought it is one of those supposed MYTHS, her AST ballooned. She feeds the dog a low calorie diet, rollerblades with her three days a week and hikes another two to three days a week (and we're talking LONG, serious hikes).

I've gone rollerblading and hiking with her and she does some SERIOUS activity. She works that dog.

After about a year and a half, the dog finally begun to lose weight.... a total of 2 pounds in a year and a half. (The dog is about 75 lbs). She then came to a halt again.

Really, the dog's diet is very closely monitored (any training treats are very carefully integrated into the dog's diet and the woman even makes her own dog treats from scratch to ensure they are low calorie and healthy).

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Ok. Well some of your replies made me feel better. Some dogs might need this.

But the cynical, people-mistrusting little guy on my left shoulder keeps reminding me that people with fatty dogs and fatty attitudes are gonna abuse this stuff just so that they don't have to pony up and exercise their dogs. Hopefully vets can use discretion on whom they give it to, since it is prescription only. :dunno:

Return to “Health Issues”