My dog Chico has not ate in 2 days

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Chico
Newborn Bully

My dog Chico has not ate in 2 days

Postby Chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, on Wednesday my dog Chico started acting a little funny. He was fine up until around his lunch time which is 2 pm instead of eating he layed down on the bed and went to sleep.

Around 4:30 when my brother got home from school Chico acted normal and ran up to him with his favorite toy to play but a few minuets later I took him to the back yard to to go potty and he just stood there like a statue and would not move for about 5 minuets. It started to sprinkle and he still wouldnt move so I picked him up and brought him inside after that he just seemed depressed and then started to vomit latter in the evening.

Yesterday I took him to the vet and they did a fecal floatation, bloodwork, and barium x-rays. after all the test were done they said he had gas buildup in his lower intestine and they prescribed 3 different medications
Metronidazole,Clavamox and Cerenia. The vet said to give them to him with food but he still would not eat, so I just let him relax and sleep and decided to start the medications Friday morning. I took Chico out last night to go potty and he did diarreah, it looked more like a light colored water.

This morning I tried to give him a little food but all he did was drink some water then he threw up at around 6 am at 6:30 I decide to give him his medicine at 7:15 he vommited again then again around 8am. So I called the vet and he said to give him ice chips and 1 Cerenia tablet and call tehm back in one hour. Chico didnt vommit so they he said just to keep giving him ice chips and if he doesnt want to eat then that is fine but I am still worried it has been 2 days since he had a meal. Has anyone here had a theier dog go this long without eating? What can I feed him that wont upset his stomach?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and I am sorry for such a long post and any miss spellings I havent had much sleep in the past few days.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 pm

They can actually go quite a while without eating. NOT so without drinking. How is he with the ice chips? What did the vet suggest?

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:30 pm

You can try giving him boiled chicken (no bones) or boiled hamburger and plain, cooked, white rice. I hope the lil guy is feeling better. Make sure he drinks or keeps eating the ice chips!

Chico
Newborn Bully

Postby Chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks for the reply's! Chico doesnt really want the ice chips either but I have been opening his mouth and sliding them in and he swallows them. The vet suggested just to give him ice chips and his medications and give then a call if there is any change. It eases my mind to know that he can go a while without eating because he usually wants to eat everything in sight.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Well, I'm sure they tested for parvo...but also, could he have some blockage??
Is the medication helping at all??
You should withhold food for at least 24 hrs. after his last vomit/diarrhea episode, unless instructed otherwise by your vet.

Chico
Newborn Bully

Postby Chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 pm

I guess it is to soon to tell if the medication is working I gave it to him at 6:30 am and he then threw up around 45 mins later but he gets more meds at 6:30 pm. After they did the barium x-rays they said there was no blockage so that is good news.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:11 pm

If he continues to vomit up the medication you should probably talk to your vet and ask if they can give injections of the medicine until he is able to hold it down.

Chico
Newborn Bully

Postby Chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:51 pm

If he throws up his next round of meds I will call and find out if they can give him shots instead thanks for the suggestion.

Chico
Newborn Bully

Postby Chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:56 pm

UPDATE:
I was still worried about Chico not eating so I took him back to the vet for a follow up visit. The vet did some blood work and everything came back fine so he gave him a shot of antibiotics and some Hill Prescription Diet can food. Has anyone used this? I gave him a syringe full 30 mins ago and he threw that up just now. The vet said if doesnt show improvement by Sunday night he needs to see him again Monday morning I pray he gets better soon

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 pm

If you were vomiting, would you eat?
Why would dogs be different??
Did your vet recommend you feed the dog NOW??

If a dog is puking, every time you feed it, it further irritates the stomach.
You should be waiting 24hrs. after the dog vomits, to allow the stomach to rest and heal.

Water is important, food can wait.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Treat-Dog-Vomiting&id=549833
Fasting. A 24 hour fast is the most important thing you can do to allow your pet's inflamed stomach to heal. Allow access to controlled amounts of water, but no food. After 24 hours offer bland food such as plain cooked white rice; give equivalent amounts of rice as you do dog or cat food. After 48 hours mix their regular food with rice and don't fully go to regular food until after 72 hours.

I must say, if you continue this feed/vomit/feed/vomit cycle, you WILL have one very sick, dehydrated dog who will need hospitalization.

An animal can live up to three WEEKS without food - only three days without water.

Discontinue feeding for the time being, try to wait 24hrs, giving SMALL SIPS of water the whole time, and tomorrow, try ONE TEASPOON of rice, gradually increasing the rice and then gradually adding a spoon or two of chicken - plain Gerber baby chicken is good for this purpose.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Poor Chico :sad:
Maybe instead of a full syringe, try just a 1/4 or less for now. If he keeps that down, then add another 1/4 in about an hour,and so on till you can get him up to a full syringe at a time??

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:35 pm

I'd forgo food altogether for now, but that's just me, not to mention it never fails to work when we have a foster dog who pukes ;)

Chico
Newborn Bully

Postby Chico » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:04 pm

The vet said to try and give him some food this evening but since he threw up I am going to take your advice and wait 24 hrs. Thank you for all the advice

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Tiny sips of water, or the ice chips...if he's feeling MUCH better, by 12noon-1ish tomorrow, maybe you can try then but at the very least, overnight him with no food, and not until at LEAST 12noon or later, tomorrow.
Remember, lack of food won't kill him but constant vomiting, can dehydrate quickly.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Poor Chico! I'm glad you are taking such good care of him. Msvette has given some pretty solid advice...yes, it breaks your heart to withhold food from your pup, but it's tough love. It can break that upset-stomach cycle and get the vomiting to stop.

I hope he feels better soon!

Return to “Health Issues”