Is it possible to get Cash..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
APBTenthusiast
Newborn Bully

Is it possible to get Cash..

Postby APBTenthusiast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:04 am

Slimmed down and toned up? He's 5 years old and not really fat....well maybe a little, but only eats 3 cups a day. He plays ball until he cant run anymore from 12:30-1:30 everyday in an acre park. We've been doing that for about 2 months and I havn't noticed any weight loss and any muscle tone building.

If it is possible any tips on getting him toned a bit?
I dont have very good all body pictures - just ones of his face since that's the best part about him. :)

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:32 am

That shouldn't be too hard at all. He seems to look like he is in decent shape, not overweight. You could walk him on a longer leash wearing a harness and let him pull a little. Also increase his walking time by 20-30 minutes and you should see results in no time.

APBTenthusiast
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby APBTenthusiast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:40 am

InBearsMemory wrote:That shouldn't be too hard at all. He seems to look like he is in decent shape, not overweight. You could walk him on a longer leash wearing a harness and let him pull a little. Also increase his walking time by 20-30 minutes and you should see results in no time.

Ok - Dont laugh at him, but the first time I attached something to his harness to pull ( a 3 lbs weight) he flipped out. He didn't know what this thing that was chasing was there for. He would run to get away from it and then stand facing it with this scared as sh*t look on his face. I havn't tried it since then. :( He wouldn't even take treats during that time. lol

I will increase his walking though.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:55 am

3 cups may be too much. Ernie eats 2 1/2 of Canidae, roughly. You could gradually decrease- like, for the next few weeks, try 2 1/2 cups, and combined with more exercise (flirt pole?) see if he tones down and slims up.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:10 am

I second the hiking and flirt pole :thumbsup:

APBTenthusiast
Newborn Bully

Postby APBTenthusiast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:41 am

rednoseErnie wrote:3 cups may be too much. Ernie eats 2 1/2 of Canidae, roughly. You could gradually decrease- like, for the next few weeks, try 2 1/2 cups, and combined with more exercise (flirt pole?) see if he tones down and slims up.

He seems so hungry with the three i give him.....then again he is a pit bull.
I also feed canidae so I will try to cut it down by half.

Can you explain flirt pole?

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 am

He's a dog, so he excels at two things...

1: Starving to death, no really, HE IS!

2: Making YOU believe he is starving to death... so he gets more food.

(most) Dogs will eat, eat EAT like there is no tomorrow. Don't fall for the "I'm starving" routine. He may be hungry but he doesn't need more food :) I wish I could follow my advice for MYSELF lol.

He's so cute.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 am

Flirt Pole- best invention ever

Its a giant cat toy! Do a search on it.. You can make one for less that $10. You just stand in one place...twirl the toy..and your dog will go nuts. He will get into shape..and get rid of some energy!

APBTenthusiast
Newborn Bully

Postby APBTenthusiast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:15 am

tia_leigha wrote:Flirt Pole- best invention ever

Its a giant cat toy! Do a search on it.. You can make one for less that $10. You just stand in one place...twirl the toy..and your dog will go nuts. He will get into shape..and get rid of some energy!

Awesome! I will get one for both the boys! Thank you

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 pm

LOL, I didn't mean to hook weight up to his harness. What I meant was to put a walking harness on him if you have one and put a longer leash on him as well and let him pull you on your walks a little bit.
People really underestimate the benefits of simply walking a dog and getting a dog out and about and just letting them be dogs.

HUGaBULLyo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HUGaBULLyo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:44 pm

biking works wonders also :thumbsup: make sure you get a harness when biking

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:58 pm

I've been doing lots of flirtpole/chase and pull dog toy work with Ella in the basement. I can already see her waist tightening up. YAY! When we get our fence put up (Ben just bought all the slats and posts today, YAY!), then I will be making her a REAL flirtpole and she will be getting muscles!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Gypsy only gets 1.5, to 2 cups of food a day, depending on her activity level for the day. She tends to run to fat very easily, so I have to be careful with her diet lol

I've found serious hiking is doing wonders for her. We hike for one to two hours a day, and most mornings go on a two to four mile bike ride. She isn't really built, but she is in decent shape now.

Ket

APBTenthusiast
Newborn Bully

Postby APBTenthusiast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Dang. I need to work less hours.

I am up to 14 hour shifts 6 days a week. Cash is able to come to work with me so I squeeze him in for ball throwing while I eat lunch in our dog park (the client dogs are up for nap time between 12-2). On Sunday's my husband, myself, Cash and my daughter walk to the park (about 2 miles away) and let him run around off leash there, as well. I never thought about having him pull me on leash because I've always been so hard on him with his heeling. Since I use him in all my training demo's I need him to walk perfect on leash - So what I am thinking is finding a nice pull command and teaching him that's when he's allowed to pull. Sound ok?

My hours will change once the baby comes in June. I am working over-time to save for the 1500 in daycare every month. :(

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:53 pm

The nice thing about flirtpole is that it doesn't take a lot of hard work on the part of the handler. You can put one together in 10 minutes, and then all you do is stand there and whip the toy around for the dog to chase. I flirt my dogs a few times a week. They dig it a lot.

There's also the treadmill, if you have one or can get one.

Return to “Health Issues”