Gained weight too fast?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
fly2008
Newborn Bully

Gained weight too fast?

Postby fly2008 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I took my pup to the vet today for his booster shot. he is 6 months or so . Last time i was there he weighed 32 lbs. Today, 2 wks later, he was 45 lbs! The vet was glad to see that he had beefed up but it scared me. We changed his food to orijen when we adopted him 3 wks ago. 2 cups in the a.m. And 2 in the p.m. I walk him 2 miles a day and we play a ton so he gets excercised. Could it be the food change or maybe he was underfed at the kennel? Any need for worry?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 pm

6 months and 45 pounds sounds OK to me! Which means, genetics allowing, he shouldn't top 50-55 depending on how you keep up on conditioning. I have a 2 year old male who, at our show this past weekend, weighed in at 47#.

Do you have a front/side picture of the dog?

Though, I am a little curious as to the 4C of food a day for a dog that age. I can see 3 at max but 4 seems a little high. But if he is that active and working off the 4C, no problems.

fly2008
Newborn Bully

Postby fly2008 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 pm

4 cups was on the guide on the back of the food bag. So i followed it :) 55 pounds seems kind of small though. but i dont want him to be huge. I have pics up in the gallery section under pics of fly probably on page 2 or 3 by now. Check him out

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:54 pm

fly2008 wrote:4 cups was on the guide on the back of the food bag. So i followed it :) 55 pounds seems kind of small though. but i dont want him to be huge. I have pics up in the gallery section under pics of fly probably on page 2 or 3 by now. Check him out

55 isnt small. It's actually around average for a male APBT. Max weight should be 60-65#.

Your dog is near identical to mine in color, size and build. (These are from the show where he weighed in at 47)

This is Snoopy about the age that your dog is now:

See how my dog was kinda chunky? Not ideal. For now, your dog looks good, if you keep him at the weight balance you have him at now, you should be fine when he fully matures in a year or two. Before I got the whole "lean dog conditioning" thing Snoopy at around 8-9 months topped out at like 65-68lbs. He was going to be quite the chunker if I hadn't learned what I did. ;)

fly2008
Newborn Bully

Postby fly2008 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Wow he really does look like your dog very handsome dog :) so i`ll just keep him at the diet he is at now and if he starts to get heavy then ill cut back. It was the 13 pound jump in 2weeks that worried me

Return to “Health Issues”