Reasons to neuter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ChiO_Mel
Newborn Bully

Reasons to neuter

Postby ChiO_Mel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:33 am

I have been trying to get my mother to neuter her dog since she had first gotten him. With Lola in heat he had gone crazy. He could smell her on me and they came to visit but he was on a leash the whole time and the poor dog was getting sexually fusterated and was humping the air. Funny to watch sad to think about. Well tonight we took her dog for a walk..Lola stayed home recouping from surgery... And her dog met another cutie in heat and he literally started climbing the gate to get to her. Another sexually fusterating night.
I have tried to tell her if he gets out and mates someone will be coming after her for "doggy support" lol. And told her the poor dog is getting fusterated. Are there any other reasons she should get her dog neutered besides the responsible pet owner one? Her excuse for not getting him fixed is because he has "the cutest balls." Not a good enough reason to me. She even made him a meatcake to celebrate them dropping when they finally did.
I need some health reasons to give to her. Or other ways of convincing her to do it! I even told her I would pay!

Salgonza
Matured Bully

Postby Salgonza » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:25 am

Why convince her. If you are willing to pay, just schedule the neutering. What is she gonna do after the fact.

Ok that is probably bad advice. but the first thing i thought of.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 am

Her excuse for not getting him fixed is because he has "the cutest balls." Not a good enough reason to me. She even made him a meatcake to celebrate them dropping when they finally did.

Wow. You might have your work cut out for you overcoming THAT amount of rather unhealthy obsession lol If she is not swayed by the fact that 'her little man' is extremely frustrated and keeping his balls around for her viewing pleasure is causing this (they can smell females in heat for like 3 miles) than I don't know what you would say to her.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am

he has "the cutest balls."

Oh GAWD. I mean, I can't stand to look at those dangly things.
Other than their being buttheads, there's no better reason, if not for cosmetic (and health of course, not to mention overpopulation) reasons!
On dogs OR *ahem* any males of any species!
lol

Does she know about cancers and prostate problems in intact dogs???
What breed of dog is it??

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:42 am

BTW, we have here, in our foster, a 5ish boy, cute as the dickens but he pees all over the house.
He's a Yorkie type dog, weighs about 7lbs?
He's in his crate more than out, due to the peeing/marking.
I mean, it's so sad that people leave their dogs intact then get sick of them because of a habit they pick up in part due to being intact, something they could have fixed long ago. This dog has horrible teeth so it's hard to tell his age, but he seems around 5...but it's going to be more difficult to place him, now, too.
I don't know if other rescues feel this way, or deal with this, but I know that leaving them intact, "ruins" them in that way. Hopefully we can work with him between now and his neuter, so he knows about good house manners :(

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:00 am

According to Dr. Bruce Fogle, D.V.M. in his book "The dog's mind"

Neutering your dog will:
1. Reduce roaming behavior
2. Reduce intermale aggression
3. Reduce mounting people
4. Reduce in house urine marking
5. Will not change the dog's personality
6. will not interfer with the dog's working abilities
7. will make it more likely that the dog will accept authority from it's human pack members.

With regard to "the cutest balls"...perhaps buy your Mum a subscription to "Playgirl" and reccommend a good psychotherapist? :))

ChiO_Mel
Newborn Bully

Postby ChiO_Mel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:56 am

She has a pedigree mini poodle(16lbs) with 2 champions in his line. That's her other reason for not fixing him. She doesn't intend on breeding him so to me that isn't an excuse. No babies.. No need to have the baby making tools..
I have thought about taking him myself... but I don't live with her so I can't readily get to her dog. I've already thought about it.
For the "cutest balls" she thinls that is what makes him a man and the fact that "they are perfectly heart shaped" makes him a cute man.. She likes that he is dominate over the 60lb bulldogs down the street and they submit to him. I told her he will come up on some other unfixed male that he will try to dominate that male and then there will be a fight over who will be more dominate and because he is only 16lbs he will be the one hurting.
As for the medical reasons that is what I was looking for. I read on here about the medical reasons why females should get it done. I mean I wanted her fixed when I first got her but its nice to know the medical benifits.
Overpopulation.. She doesn't think HER dog will EVER get out. ::eyeroll:: and meet a female in heat.

How long until the signs in the list kick in? Because her dog has shown signs of any of that yet.. No peeing or marking in the house.. Only outside.. He doesn't roam around. He plays with his toys or cuddles. She runs hims 2 times a day so I think that's why he doesn't roam. If he doesn't get ran he is hyperactive. I have only seen him mount one person. It was my sorority sister when she laid on the floor he humped her head. But he doesn't do it to anyone else. He doesn't show aggression either. The only issue I see is that we have to tell him something 5 times and dad only needs to tell him once. I'm glad to hear it doesn't change his personality since he doesn't do most of this.. He won't start.

Oh yea I'm a psych major.. I think Ill use her as my case study! Lmao!

Bluebear
Super Bully

Postby Bluebear » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:24 pm

If your mom really likes his balls, she can get him neuter and have neuticals put in. www.neuticals.com They can do it the during the same surgery as the neutering, so he won't have to go under twice.

ChiO_Mel
Newborn Bully

Postby ChiO_Mel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Bluebear wrote:If your mom really likes his balls, she can get him neuter and have neuticals put in. www.neuticals.com They can do it the during the same surgery as the neutering, so he won't have to go under twice.
Omg! The things they come up with these days! I will let her know. She has no excuse now! Thanks!
Medical reasons still wanted.. Maybe it will get her to do it quicker!

JulieC
Adolescent Bully

Postby JulieC » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 pm

ChiO_Mel wrote:She has a pedigree mini poodle(16lbs) with 2 champions in his line.

You might point out to her that unless HE is a proven champion, the ones in his line mean nothing.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:50 pm

How old is he?
Yep, there's health risks, too, to intact males, usually as they get older, I believe (chime in here anytime, vets and vet techs!) but they revolve around cancer and prostate issues the same as with humans.

ChiO_Mel
Newborn Bully

Postby ChiO_Mel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:50 pm

He turn 1 year on March 12..so 13 months.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:58 pm

http://www.sniksnak.com/benefits.html

Perfect age! She may not have noticed many behavior issues yet, as he's just maturing now.

Less Testosterone, Less Trouble

In terms of behavior, male dogs will benefit even more than females from being neutered. Neutering, or castration, is the surgical removal of the animal's testicles. An unneutered male can detect a female in heat even miles away. Neutering decreases roaming by 90%. Responding to the overwhelming urge to reproduce, he will often become nervous and irritable, perhaps picking fights with other dogs, or become lethargic, less responsive to his owner, stop eating, or act ill or depressed. Among the problems reduced or eliminated by neutering male pets are:

Territoriality and aggression, including urinating to mark territory, and fighting to defend it

Wandering, escaping, and automobile injuries

"Riding" inappropriate objects

Prostate enlargement (occurs in at least 60% of unneutered male dogs 5 years or older)

Prostate tumors and infections

Tumors of the testicles, penis, anal area

Perineal hernia (rupture of the posterior abdominal wall)

Stress, leading to increased susceptibility to disease

Need for extra food

I have seen those perineal hernias in males...it's horrible :(

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Your mother can always look into having a vasectomy done on her dog, as well. It is not going to help his frustration if he smells a female in heat, but at least it will prevent puppies. The less preferable option, but one to consider.

ChiO_Mel
Newborn Bully

Postby ChiO_Mel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:24 pm

adoptanapbt wrote:Your mother can always look into having a vasectomy done on her dog, as well. It is not going to help his frustration if he smells a female in heat, but at least it will prevent puppies. The less preferable option, but one to consider.

I thought about that too! I asked the lady at the vet today about it. She said she didn't think it was possible. But I will call some other vets and see what they say. I told her I had been researching this for her and she kinda got upset. Oh well!

Return to “Health Issues”