Reasons to neuter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:52 am

My ex had it done on a dog, vasectomies are doing, but probably very difficult on a tiny dog.
Not to insult your mom, but 2 Champions in a pedigree are almost not worth mentioning. If you talk to show people, you'll find that probably 12/16 dogs or more in the first few generations are titled, and both parents should be. It drives me crazy when people say "champion bloodlines" and then it's the dog's great-grandfather. Done ranting now.

ChiO_Mel
Newborn Bully

Postby ChiO_Mel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:19 pm

No offense taken! Lol I rolled my eyes at the suggestion of "champions" if she isn't showng him or breeding him that has no relevence as an argument point.
I was able to talk to her a little more and now she is saying IF she does it she won't go as far as the neuticles. I didn't get to talk to her today so I didn't get to mention the vasectomy. But regardless I got an IF.. So I am getting closer!

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:25 am

(they can smell females in heat for like 3 miles)

Even when a dogs been neutered, wouldn't they still be able to smell a female in heat within 3 miles?.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:37 am

Yes, but the hormones aren't there to get them all riled up. It's like a singles bar without the beer.

Sage
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sage » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:53 pm

I had a neutered male tie with a unspayed female, and he was always all riled up whenever she was in heat.

KilliansIrishRed
Newborn Bully

Re: Reasons to neuter

Postby KilliansIrishRed » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:10 pm

ChiO_Mel wrote: Her excuse for not getting him fixed is because he has "the cutest balls."

I cant be the only one who finds this just a litttttttle disturbing... I dont know of anyone who has seen a pair of dog balls, and been like Aww.. what cute balls
:yucky:

There are health reasons, check into prostate cancer in un neutered dogs and show her that..

breakarm87
Newborn Bully

Postby breakarm87 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Just thought that I would add an interesting thought to this thread. It seems there are many people against cropping a dogs ears. Ok thats cool but so many people are for cutting his poor little balls off which seems alot more painful to me. I mean I can understand cutting them off so they aren't running around getting other dogs pregnant but thats why you watch them. Im keeping my dogs nuts. I don't plan on breeding him or anything but I would like him to look natural an I wouldn't want someone cutting my balls off.

Just a friendly thought.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:11 pm

There are many health and behavioral reasons for having a dog neutered besides just preventing him from breeding.

breakarm87
Newborn Bully

Postby breakarm87 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

But are the risk really that big? Because out of all the dogs I have had my whole life none of them have ever gotten those cancers or had any other problems an they didn't have vaccines or anything. Bud lived to be 15 years old an Buster was about 16 years old. Good smart dogs might I add. Now my dog Angel, this lady took her to get her spayed for me an you know what happened??? She died. The doctor didn't stich her up good an her stomach came out of her an she just died a very horrible death. So Im keeping my dogs nuts. Plus it's unnecessary IMO if your keeping a good watch on your dog he isn't going to get away. Especially if he's an inside dog. Buster an Bud were both outside dogs an no accidents from them. Bud was half Chow Chow half German Shepard an he did mate with the neighbors pit one time but that is because they had her in a cage right beside the fence to him an she dug a whole under the fence an got to where he was chained up. But all my uncles dogs have there nuts an are really old an haven't had any accidents. I think sometimes people are a little over concerned when the risk isn't as big as they think it is. Plus like I have heard said an know for a fact. Vet's have to make a living so of course they are going to tell you that you need it because of this an that but that doesn't necessarily mean that the risk is that high to where it's a mandatory thing. Because by the fact that it could cause cancer why don't us men have ours taken out when we get older??? Beause the risk isn't really that great. Especially if you take care of yourself. Plus scientist are starting to think that cancer is more a genetic problem than outside causes. So you would have to look at the dogs history.

Plz don't take any of that as hateful or in the wrong way if you could listen to me talk I talk kinda monotonous lol.

breakarm87
Newborn Bully

Postby breakarm87 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Oh another thing. My dogs never tried humping me either. An didn't have a urinating problem. I think it's all in the way they are raised.

Luvabully
Adolescent Bully

Postby Luvabully » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:29 pm

From this website: http://www.askvetadvice.com/medical-rea ... -your-pet/

Here are the MEDICAL REASONS; there are also many other good and valid reasons to neuter. Testosterone is a very powerful anabolic steroid with many short and long-term effects. Here is a list of some of the medical conditions influenced by the presence of Testosterone.

1) Prostate effects

Benign Prostatic hypertrophy - a gross enlargement of the prostate gland, as occurs in human men. In the dog this enlargement does not cause difficulty in urination but may create serious constipation.
Primary Prostatic Carcinoma - a highly metastatic form of cancer, which is usually fatal.
Generalized Noninfectious Prostatitis - an acute inflammation of the prostate, which causes pain on urination and is usually accompanied by hematuria, blood in the urine.
*Prostatic Abscess - either single or multiple micro abscesses, this is an infection of the gland caused by bacteria. The gland is more susceptible to infection when under the influence of testosterone.
2) Hernias - There are a number of hernias caused by Testosterone, they include: Scrotal hernias, inguinal hernias (in the groin), and perineal hernias (the area next to the tail). These hernias all require surgical correction. These hernias can be severe and life threatening especially if an organ becomes entrapped in the hernia.

3) Cancer - numerous cancers have been directly associated with testosterone, they include: Sertoli Cell tumors, Leydig Cell tumors, Perianal adenocarcinoma, Seminomas and interstitial cell tumors. Also Primary Prostatic Carcinoma, as above, all require surgery and some may also require Radiation and/or Chemotherapy as well.

4) Infections - Brucellosis is the worst, it has only slight chronic signs in the dog but causes abortion in the bitch. Balanoposthitis a chronic infection of the prepuce and penis, inside the sheath, this is the dog that is dripping droplets of pus from the opening of the prepuce (or sheath).

5) Miscellaneous

Paraphimosis - the inability to resolve an erection, the penis is stuck in an erectile condition and is very painful.
Perianal and Rectal fistulas - infected tracts from the rectum to an opening near the anus, which is usually draining blood, pus and feces. This is a particularly nasty condition and usually requires a board certified surgeon. The treatment may require removal of the anus and or rectum and the dog may experience fecal incontinence afterwards.
Most of the above conditions are preventable by neutering your dog. Every man who owns a dog should read this and consider if he wants to put his dog through this. It has been proven that neutered dogs live longer, healthier, and happier lives. We should not anthropomorphize. That is to attribute human emotions apply to them, a dog doesn’t care whether it has been fixed or not. For those who are worried about the cosmetics, there are prosthetic implants, Neuticles tm, which can be placed in the scrotum at the time of neutering

Contrary to popular belief, there are no medical, emotional or sociological reasons for a male dog to sire, or female birth “just one litter”. A misinformation and/or misguidance may lead one to believe that “having just one litter” is somehow good for the dog psychologically or medically. And the emotional or educational benefit to your children to experience the birth, and care taking of a litter of pups should be a very carefully analyzed proposition. Will your children accompany you to the animal shelter when you drop off those last six puppies you “just weren’t able to find homes for”? If you do choose to allow your dog or cat to have a litter, please be certain that there are committed pet caretakers waiting and wanting to provide a home for them. Don’t contribute to the pathetic destruction of tens of thousands of animals euthanized yearly in pounds and shelters. You do have the power and intelligence to make a difference.

GOOD REASONS TO SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PET

Spayed and neutered pets are less likely to run away from home. (minimize roaming) Fact:Males neutered early in life are less aggressive toward other males and are not distracted by females in heat. Therefore, a neutered male will be less tempted to leave your property and cross that dangerous highway searching for a mate. And neutered males are also less likely to mark every one of your (or your neighbor’s) expensive shrubs with his urine as well as inside the house. Decreased roaming- Especially common in males, roaming tendencies expose dogs to many possibilities of trauma and disease that they would not normally be exposed to such as dog fights, automobile trauma, and contagious diseases such as Canine Parvo Virus which is ubiquitous in the environment.
Spayed and neutered pets are less likely to fight with other animals, thus saving themselves much pain and their owners a high veterinary bill. (minimize aggressive behaviors) Decreased aggression- Intergender aggression is common in dogs- especially among males. Wounds caused by dogfights can easily be as severe as those caused by automobiles. They are usually much more severe in the deeper tissues than the surface wounds indicate.
Spayed and neutered pets are less distracted by sexual instincts and become easier to train. Easier domestication- Dogs that are neutered early in life are more easily trained than their intact counterparts. They are not as easily distracted during training and males tend to not be bothered as much when there is a female dog in heat in the area.
Spayed and neutered dogs are usually more reliable “watch dogs” and more responsive to family members because they are less distracted by sexual instincts. The truth is that male dogs are usually better pets if they are neutered. They have less desire to roam, to mark territory (including furniture), or to exert dominance over family members. Another plus is that they won’t be inclined to ’scent-mark’ their territory (in other words, lift a leg) in forbidden areas, or be inclined to sexually molest people’s legs, furniture, other pets, etc.
Neutered male pets are less likely to suffer infections or disorders in the prepuce or prostate glands. (some of which they can get from mating- Transmissible Venereal Tumors, and Brucella) Prostate disease- Like their human counterparts, it has been said that intact (un-neutered) males have an increased likelihood to develop prostatic tumors and infections, as they get older. These problems are uncommonly found in males neutered early in life. Testicular disease- Tumors such as Sertoli cell tumors and Seminomas are found in the testicles more commonly in dogs that are older. Also diseases such as testicular abscesses would be not be possible in a neutered dog. They are also healthier pets: no testicles means, no testicular cancer, which is not uncommon among aging intact male dogs.
Humanitarian reasons for the operations, the prime one being that your pet will not accidentally add to the overpopulation problem that results in so many helpless, unwanted dogs being put to death in animal shelters each year.
These numbers are in the millions. It is your responsibility to be sure that you don’t allow your dog to contribute to the problem, through some notion, about preserving your dog’s sexual rights. While many pet owners feel that it is nice to let the pet have one litter and for the family to witness such an event, they neglect to think about what is going to happen with puppies arrive. One walk through a local animal shelter will serve ample notice that more puppies are not in short supply on the planet. Pet overpopulation is a problem that has reached epic proportions.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Now my dog Angel, this lady took her to get her spayed for me an you know what happened??? She died. The doctor didn't stich her up good an her stomach came out of her an she just died a very horrible death.

You had a crappy vet.
Our vets have spayed and neutered over 200 animals for us in this past year and have lost none. Zero. Zip. Good vets DON'T unless there is some complication with the dog they did not know about before the surgery, which is why they recommend doing the blood panels first.

The benefits of neutering and spaying far outweight the risks, and it's just a good idea overall.
If you don't, your dog will be similar to the OPs dog and be sexually frustrated all the time from females in heat all about.
That can often turn into aggression for some males.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:27 pm

. Plus it's unnecessary IMO if your keeping a good watch on your dog he isn't going to get away. Especially if he's an inside dog. Buster an Bud were both outside dogs an no accidents from them. Bud was half Chow Chow half German Shepard an he did mate with the neighbors pit one time but that is because they had her in a cage right beside the fence to him an she dug a whole under the fence an got to where he was chained up

So, despite 'taking precautions' there was a litter of puppies produced. You just shot your own argument down. Mistakes happen.
There is NO reason for pet quality dogs to not be spayed and neutered. It's healthier for them, they don't think of sex the same way you do, nor are they as attached to their 'parts' as humans are, so that argument doesn't wash. It's EXTREMELY frustrating for males. We just saved a dog by spaying her, she had a NASTY Pyrometra (infection in the uterus)

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 am

breakarm87 wrote: Bud was half Chow Chow half German Shepard an he did mate with the neighbors pit one time but that is because they had her in a cage right beside the fence to him an she dug a whole under the fence an got to where he was chained up.

One time is too many.

breakarm87
Newborn Bully

Postby breakarm87 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 pm

No I didn't shoot it down. The girl dog came over there to him. He didn't once try to go over to her. That was the other peoples fault for putting her in a cage right beside the fence where he was at. When they moved her it never happened again. I just don't see why you have to get a dog. Yes I can understand getting it fixed if it had cancer but all the dogs I have had didn't get cancer. It's not that big a risk. There is a risk to everything it's calculating those risk that give you a good guess about what to do. Dogs didn't used to be fixed a long time ago an they did just fine. The problem with overpopulation is all the BYB not the dogs. People force breeding dogs is what puts a lot of pups in the pounds. MY paw paw's dogs are allowed to run lose an haven't gotten any neighborhood dogs pregnant. Although they would get really dirty sometimes an had to have frequent baths. You didn't hear about dogs having so much cancer an stuff a long time ago though. An about 95% of the people I know don't have fixed dogs an they act nothing like mentioned. The ones that are fixed don't do less wandering or any of that stuff either. An most of the male dogs I have met that are fixed that weren't socialized properly are just as aggressive as intact dogs that weren't socialized properly. My dogs Buster an Bud got along fine most of the time just like fixed dogs supposedly do. They would have a skirmish here an there but nothing out of the normal. I mean come on they are dogs not slaves. They are going to have some basic instinct at one point or another. Why change what God made??? Just keep an eye on your property just like you would watch a kid. Plus going on risk say you get your dog fixed an spend all this money on everything for it an it gets hit by a car then that was a big waste of money. Thats a logical risk with a not that far off possiblity of the dog having cancer which isn't to much more likely.

Return to “Health Issues”