Nylabone

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PBMagoo
Newborn Bully

Nylabone

Postby PBMagoo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:31 pm

I have a question for some of yall. One of Orion's favorite toys is a chicken flavored, plastic Nylabone. He has gotten to the point that he chews it so much that is looks as if he is trying to eat it. He chews it so much that little pieces of plastic are breaking off of the ends. When we take it away he gets upset. So my question is.....Is it safe to let him continue playing with it or should we get rid of it? We are worried if him swallowing little pieces of plastic could either injure him of make him sick.

KilliansIrishRed
Newborn Bully

Postby KilliansIrishRed » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:37 pm

For safety sake I dont give my girls pig ears, nylabone, or anything of the sort.. Just because I've watched Killian rip through them ( pig ears in seconds flat) and this is obviously not good for the stomach... Im pretty sure it was Nylabone that she chewed into tiny pieces and ate, and the vet said it could cause a blockage

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:46 pm

Are they the nylabone "durables"? These are one of the only toys my dogs are allowed to have. They do tear pieces off, but they are more like thin flakes rather than chunks, usually about the size of a popcorn kernel (can't think of a better size representation). I don't worry about it at all.
I suppose it depends on how much your dog is destroying the nylabone. I've never seen a dog tear one apart, but it sounds like some dogs do. Our dogs just kinda whittle away at them over the course of months. Eventually they get worn down and I throw them out an replace them.
These are the ones we buy:

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Do you have a dremel or some kind of rotatory tool?You could grind down the ends, when you see they start crumbling.I use nylabone all the time and I have just bought a new dremel, more powerful that what I had, so I can prolong the life of the bones a little.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:54 am

I have bought the Nylabone durables (NOT the gummy ones! The durable are solid opaque white, or opaque brown or opaque yellow) and the Nylabone Galileo bones... my dog and fosters all like them. It says on the package for safety's sake to discard the Nylabone once the ends are all nubby and chewed off and to replace it, but if you can dremel it smooth like Red it will last longer. The Galileo bone was especially durable for us. It actually got LOST before it died... most other toys and chews around here die well before they get lost.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Red wrote:Do you have a dremel or some kind of rotatory tool?You could grind down the ends, when you see they start crumbling.I use nylabone all the time and I have just bought a new dremel, more powerful that what I had, so I can prolong the life of the bones a little.

What a good idea! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”