Removal of stitches yourself

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
apbtgurl26
Matured Bully

Removal of stitches yourself

Postby apbtgurl26 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 pm

Does everyone usually do this on their own versus taking the dog back to the vet to have them do it?

Shelby, our boxer, has a tumor removed on April 11th, and it's time for her stitches to come out, and I don't really want to take her back to the vet just to have that done when I can possibly remove them myself...BUT...here's my issue. I've done this before after she was spayed, but it was only a few stitches. Her incision right now is all of 7 inches long, and probably contains 15+ stitches. I just don't want to do anything that could possibly hurt her.

So, do you guys think that regardless of the size of the incision that's removing them is all pretty much the same, just more to take out?

Here are a few pics of her right after the surgery...

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Depends on how comfortable you are with it. I've taken sutures out when it's just a few, but the one time I had a dog with a lot of sutures in him, I took him back to the vet. I didn't think I could find them all.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Ditto to what Sarah posted. I'd be a bit intimidated by such a large number of stitches, but I've certainly taken out many from smaller incisions without issue.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Ditto.

I would want the vet to look at the edges of the wound as well to verify it was healing nicely. That's quite a large scar.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Personally I'd want the vet to take them out so that the incision can be checked to make sure everything is as it should be.

It's easy to physically remove the stitches, but if something goes wrong and/or the incision hasn't healed correctly, you could end up with a mess.

PitbullAngel
Newborn Bully

Postby PitbullAngel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Suture removal is usually a pretty easy task, but with our tumor removals specifically we always prefer the client to come back in so we can take a quick peek to make sure the incision site looks as it should.

BullyProud
Super Bully

Postby BullyProud » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:27 am

If you decide to do it yourself you can always call the vet and ask how many stitches were used, so you know how many you have to find/remove. I know when I removed stitches from a larger site and there was some hair covering them I called and asked my vet, they should keep that on file good luck in your decision

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 am

I usually take them out myself, unless I have reason to think the vet should see the incision. When Loki was spayed, she had some irritation around her incision, so I took her back to have the vet check her out when she had her sutures out. Besides, I figured I'd already paid for the follow-up visit. :) When Jedi was cropped, when previous dogs were spayed, I took the stitches out myself.

OkieDaLaPitMoma
Matured Bully

Postby OkieDaLaPitMoma » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 am

I've always taken them out myself but LOL Im used to that sort of thing. My Mother is an MD so needles to say I got to go tow orkw ith her alot as a kid.

Last dog I had to do that to was my female Boston terrier/pug Lila. She just got fixed and we where told the stiches would go away in 4 weeks. Well 9weeks later they were still there with the skin growing over them. Vet would charge me 120$ to remove them... So I just grabed my husbands nose hair cutters and removed the 9stiches myself. Same with my Male ChowChow who got fixed at the same time,RIP Samson, Theres something wrong with holding a dogs balls in your hand and cutting. Maybe its just me but.. I ...felt...Dirty.LOL

apbtgurl26
Matured Bully

Postby apbtgurl26 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Thank you guys for all of your replies!

We ended up taking her to the vet and letting them remove them...I just felt better overall doing that!

It healed very nicely, and I'm glad I decided to go to the vet!

Return to “Health Issues”