Green Puss Help Please

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
teddy
Bully Ambassador

Green Puss Help Please

Postby teddy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Hey how you doing for the past few months off and on my puppy pit noah who has all of his shots and is up to date has been discharging a green puss like substance from his penis. What is causing this first off? is there any over the counter meds i could give him? thanks

teddy

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Call your vet--pus means an infection, and it needs to be treated.

Codys_mum
Newborn Bully

Postby Codys_mum » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:48 pm

I took Cody in to see the vetwhen he was about 4 months because he had the same issue, the vet said it was normal and it would start to get less and less once he was neutered.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 pm

If it is just a small amount, it is probably just smegma. You can look it up to see if that's what it is. :thumbsup:
My boys had this when they were pups, but I haven't seen it since.

teddy
Bully Ambassador

Postby teddy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 pm

thanks for the feed back guys...will do...

I know the substance can possible be an infection but what or why would a green substance come out if there not neutered?

teddy
Bully Ambassador

i found this

Postby teddy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:24 pm

It is common for males to have a small amount of discharge.

"Preputial discharge" is any substance flowing from the prepuce, which is the fold of skin that covers the penis. Often, licking at the prepuce/penis accompanies the discharge, so the terms interchangeably.

Preputial discharge may consist of blood, urine or pus. Having a small amount of whitish-yellow discharge called "smegma" is normal for a dog. Smegma is the normal sloughing of cells and accumulation of debris.

But smegma also provides nutrients for bacterial growth.
If your dog's discharge is really greenish in color, and you've never noticed discharge of that color before, it's likely the discharge is caused by bacteria, and dog has an infection which can be easily cleared up with an antibiotic.

You'd need your vet to confirm the possibility of an infection, and to provide medication.

Regarding the mounting behavior your neutered male dog sometimes displays: mounting isn't always sexual, it can also be a sign of dominance.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 pm

another pleasant side effect of puppies. Watch your shirt when you pick him up. Gotta love it.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:23 am

:yucky:

I love neutered boys :thumbsup:

roflmao

Return to “Health Issues”